@JackFr the preference form is under your ouac profile when you first registered. On the right under Prepare Your Application select Program Details. In the gray box that show up select supplementary forms. Once you select okay two pdfs will be available. The first is Instructions and the second is the Preference Form. It sometimes says access denied when I first click it but if you go back and re-select it, it should work!

Hey everyone,
This thread, and the 2017 one have been super helpful to me so far in preparing the NPSIA application. Now the waiting game begins. I graduated from Queen's in 2013 with a CGPA 3.6/4.3. Since then I spent 2 years in China on a fellowship, implementing my own grassroots development program & learning Mandarin. I spent time in Germany to learn German and help my German husband immigrate to Canada, and currently I work at a small NGO in Ottawa that builds schools in Nicaragua. As I've been out of school for a few years, I'm hoping that my work experiences might help my application. Ottawa's a great city, so I'd like to stay!

On 1/29/2018 at 1:04 PM, LoopyLex said:

Just a little piece of news you all might be interested in: it looks like they will be trying to get acceptances out by the third week of February this year. So you all won't have to wait till March like we did last year. :lol:

Woah, you mean everyone that applied by the Jan 31 deadline should hear back by the end of February??

That would be.. wonderful :')

PS. How did you find out??

Good luck to you all!

2 hours ago, ZayyQs said:

Woah, you mean everyone that applied by the Jan 31 deadline should hear back by the end of February??

That would be.. wonderful :')

PS. How did you find out??

You should! I think they're aiming for an earlier date because otherwise those who applied get antsy and start bothering the admin a bunch. (we sure did last year, oops). I've got friends throughout the program who have connections with faculty and other staff, so these sorts of details come out, and I'm also involved and have heard similar from staff. Figured I'd let you all know so you're not bombing the office with the same questions about when you'll hear back. That poor office is drowning this time of year.

This is when they are planning to have them out for though. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed, so don't come after me with pitchforks if it's March 1st and you haven't heard back yet. :lol:

Edited by LoopyLex

On 2/2/2018 at 1:13 AM, LoopyLex said:

Good luck to you all!

You should! I think they're aiming for an earlier date because otherwise those who applied get antsy and start bothering the admin a bunch. (we sure did last year, oops). I've got friends throughout the program who have connections with faculty and other staff, so these sorts of details come out, and I'm also involved and have heard similar from staff. Figured I'd let you all know so you're not bombing the office with the same questions about when you'll hear back. That poor office is drowning this time of year.

This is when they are planning to have them out for though. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed, so don't come after me with pitchforks if it's March 1st and you haven't heard back yet. :lol:

That sounds amazing. Hopefully that's what'll happen!!

Can I just confirm with everyone that there is no big "submit application" button after uploading everything? my application summary still says "The list below represents graduate admission applications you have submitted and are still on record as active applications. These admission applications require your review and appropriate input"  but I have everything uploaded on time. I emailed Tabbatha to ask if I need to officially do something and she said no, as long as everything is uploaded that thats correct. But its weird to me that theres not submit application here button or anything. Did everyone just basically upload their documents and then that was it? I hope I'm not missing anything! 

2 hours ago, sandradee said:

Can I just confirm with everyone that there is no big "submit application" button after uploading everything? my application summary still says "The list below represents graduate admission applications you have submitted and are still on record as active applications. These admission applications require your review and appropriate input"  but I have everything uploaded on time. I emailed Tabbatha to ask if I need to officially do something and she said no, as long as everything is uploaded that thats correct. But its weird to me that theres not submit application here button or anything. Did everyone just basically upload their documents and then that was it? I hope I'm not missing anything! 

That is what I did. Just uploaded the checklist of documents. I've also applied to other unis in Canada like McGill which basically had the same system, a checklist of documents which you just upload. It's only that McGill has a big green ticks button which reads "Checklist complete" which is very reassuring. 

Application submitted on Jan. 30th to NPSIA. Good luck everyone.

Does anyone know the age range for the MA at NPSIA? I have been working overseas for a few years now handling Sanction Countries in the Middle East region for multinational companies and not sure if my age will negatively impact me. 

Appreciate any insight.

@Issa The only thing you would possibly need to worry about is whether or not your references vividly remembered you, and were able to write good LORs. Work experience, especially of the international variety, can only be a good thing. Aside from that, we've got people in this thread alone who are fresh out of undergrad (like yours truly), while others are applying for their second MA.  I think the age range is pretty diverse. 

Thanks @Delidas. The LORs were quite hard to get for the same reasons you mentioned but I used my thesis tutors. I am not sure how great or informative they were but hope the admissions team at NPSIA takes me leaving uni a while ago into consideration.

All the best to everyone!

46 minutes ago, DCrSS said:

Hey everyone just found this forum. Just wondering what everyone's status is saying for NPSIA? Mine moved to "Recommended for Assessment". Not sure what that means. Good luck to all :) 

Mine still says preliminary review required. I think your status means that the department is looking at your application.

57 minutes ago, sunshine18 said:

Mine still says preliminary review required. I think your status means that the department is looking at your application.

1 hour ago, DCrSS said:

Hey everyone just found this forum. Just wondering what everyone's status is saying for NPSIA? Mine moved to "Recommended for Assessment". Not sure what that means. Good luck to all :) 

When did you apply by the way? I wonder if they are doing it in alphabetical order and by last name

Edited by sunshine18