New NDSEG website not secure?

timedilation

I was looking at the new website for the NDSEG this year when I noticed that it isn't secure.  On the page to create a new application, Chrome even tells you as much in the url bar. Anyone know what's going on?  I guess I'll hold off doing anything for the moment and email them if need be.  

On a related note, I see that ASEE is not managing the applications this year.  Will that affect the process at all?  Does anyone have any experience applying to fellowships handled by "STI-TEC"?

Thanks!

I agree, the entire website and this STI-TEC company look extremely unprofessional, to the point of feeling like a phishing scam.  Can somebody tell me why I need to upload my resume just to create an account?  And the "privacy statement" link leads nowhere, it's just text that says "privacy statement"!

Not to mention the form seems to have zero security, as is plainly shown in the url bar on Chrome:

Capture.PNG.28d98a30074b214adc730acc4b6f9ff5.PNG

I can feel it in my bones that anyone who puts their information onto this grossly incompetent website will have it stolen or sold.  I cannot believe the DoD would allow NDSEG to be administered by such a terrible company.  Keep in mind that these are the people who will presumably also be administering the fellowship after you win it, and may eventually have your financial information too.  

What is the best way that one can complain to the DoD about this?  It seems clear that the ASEE is no longer handling applications or fellowships after 2017, so they (and their social media, including the @NDSEG twitter) are probably not going to care.  I suppose the best we can do is spam the @DeptofDefense twitter.  #NDSEGbadwesbite

Yeah this website is absolutely terrible! There doesn't appear to be any information about application specifics, such as word limits, required components, essay prompts, application tips, timeline, etc. Are any of you current awardees? Do any of you happen to have any of this sort of information?

Any advice/help/insights would be much appreciated!

On 9/26/2017 at 12:23 PM, amozelensky said:

What is the best way that one can complain to the DoD about this?  It seems clear that the ASEE is no longer handling applications or fellowships after 2017, so they (and their social media, including the @NDSEG twitter) are probably not going to care.  I suppose the best we can do is spam the @DeptofDefense twitter.  #NDSEGbadwesbite

I'm guessing this is a losing battle. My guess is like anything else, it was a contract that ASEE lost and SCI-TEK won. The DoD isn't likely to care all that much about applicants complaints, my gut tells me.

Could anyone give me a detailed breakdown of the application requirements? It seems they've changed compared to prior years. I received the award last year but have people coming up to me asking about the fellowship and I unfortunately don't know the new requirements and don't feel comfortable making an account if I'm not going to apply.

Also, yes, STI-TEC won the contract to administer the NDSEG fellowship. They have been very prompt and professional with regards to finances and answering questions for the 2017 fellows. I have a feeling they're a little understaffed in terms of the website not looking great. I've emailed them a couple of times about issues on the site and they've fixed them immediately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone made an application through the application link? I have not and am wondering also if they changed the format of the application as the description of it seems to suggest. I also do not want to input my information in the website due to the security issue. 

I have already tried to submit the application. I say try as there is no real "submit" button, only save, and they haven't notified my professors for their letters.

Application is the same I think, requires a research statement and personal statement, and then to fill out this form.

I got a response to the security question

"The application link is secure.  Your server is probably referencing the website because is does not have the SSL security which would make the link have the “Https” instead of the “http”.   However, our website is secure, and the application is on a totally different server altogether to meet government restrictions, so it is secure."

9 hours ago, Gabi said:

"The application link is secure.  Your server is probably referencing the website because is does not have the SSL security which would make the link have the “Https” instead of the “http”.   However, our website is secure, and the application is on a totally different server altogether to meet government restrictions, so it is secure."

LOL. The new contractor clearly is on top of everything.

20 hours ago, Gabi said:

So, with a big of digging, this appears to be the case.

They're apparently embedding another website that hosts the application itself in an HTML frame.  This website, to be specific, which is actually HTTPS compliant.  So it's probably secure, but it's not how most web developers would set up an application these days.

On 11/12/2017 at 4:53 AM, Sepens said:

I have already tried to submit the application. I say try as there is no real "submit" button, only save, and they haven't notified my professors for their letters.

Application is the same I think, requires a research statement and personal statement, and then to fill out this form.

Can you change the resume you upload once you create your application? I have been holding off on making the application because I need to modify my resume. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all -- does anyone know what we're supposed to fill in for the "Graduate school information" section if we're not yet enrolled anywhere? It's not allowed to leave it blank. Should I just choose one that I'm applying to and enter its information? Or write "N/A" in all the relevant fields? Thanks!

1 hour ago, seaslugs said:

Is there any way to save your progress without filling out the entire form? It seems that the only way to save is by completing the entire form and submitting.

If you save and submit, you can edit it after. That is what I have been doing. They only consider it submitted if it is past the deadline. 

I uploaded my CV for that reason, I am also assuming unofficial transcripts and GRE scores uploaded to the application site are fine since they do not give any information about where to send official documents. Did I miss something for GRE and transcript submission? This site is a mess...

17 hours ago, blankens said:

I uploaded my CV for that reason, I am also assuming unofficial transcripts and GRE scores uploaded to the application site are fine since they do not give any information about where to send official documents. Did I miss something for GRE and transcript submission? This site is a mess...

It says http://www.ndsegfellowships.org/application

"Graduate Record Exam Score (GRE) general test only. We need official scores from ETS. Please use GRE CODE 2525." 

On 12/3/2017 at 6:16 PM, superlative_high said:

Does anyone know when they contact your references? Is it if you save and submit?

They actually do not contact your recommenders. Once you submit they email you the link that you then can pass on to your letter writers.