New NDSEG website not secure?

timedilation

On 12/4/2017 at 10:28 AM, KaffeeCafe said:

Is it possible to change your CV after uploading / creating the account ? Or do I have to remake another account just to update it ?

Yes (to the first question) - I'm actually not sure what happens to the initial resume/CV. On the application form, there is a field where you can upload it as an attachment.

Edited by flying_sloths

3 hours ago, flying_sloths said:

Yes (to the first question) - I'm actually not sure what happens to the initial resume/CV. On the application form, there is a field where you can upload it as an attachment.

Thanks -- just found that field today. Are people really taking serious there 'resume' specification as opposed to CV ? My friends are trying to condense down a multiple page CV into a standard one page Resume. Since there is nowhere else in the application portal to list awards or publications it seems hard to keep it Resume length.

There is an 'Additional Upload 3' option but no instructions what this could be used for. Any ideas ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 1:28 PM, Alex92 said:

Hi all -- does anyone know what we're supposed to fill in for the "Graduate school information" section if we're not yet enrolled anywhere? It's not allowed to leave it blank. Should I just choose one that I'm applying to and enter its information? Or write "N/A" in all the relevant fields? Thanks!

In the FAQ's, it says to put "Awaiting acceptance offers." I put that in every field (location, name, end date) except for the Graduate Major and GRE score fields. For that, I put in my intended major and GRE scores. 

Edited by fullwaverectifier

Anyone have any idea how strict they will be with an unofficial transcript for my graduate classes? There was a mixup at the transcript/records office and I wasn't able to get the official transcript out in time. Do you think they would accept an unofficial one until they received the official one?

Also when I try to upload, the transcript spot only allows for one upload? Does that mean we should use the additional upload spot for the graduate transcript?

Edited by TPNigl

1 hour ago, homesteadjoe said:

Hi everyone, does anyone have any advice on the references? It says only to submit 3 but how do we know who has submitted? I typically like to have more recommendations submitted than required but there is no ranking system on the website. Any advice or input on this?

I emailed them a few days ago to ask. ndsegf@sci-tech.com was the email that I used. Seems somewhat sketchy... I don't think there is a way to check ourselves. The people at Sci-Tech looked it up for me. They responded ~24 hours later and said:

Hi,

You have references from: Professor A, Professor B, and Professor C.

We are granting an extention of final submission of GRE Scores, Transcripts and References until January 5th. This means that the universities and recommenders need to have your documents to our offices or in this email box by this date. Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Kind regards,

NDSEG Fellowship Team

On 12/29/2017 at 9:56 PM, fullwaverectifier said:

I emailed them a few days ago to ask. ndsegf@sci-tech.com was the email that I used. Seems somewhat sketchy... I don't think there is a way to check ourselves. The people at Sci-Tech looked it up for me. They responded ~24 hours later and said:

Hi,

You have references from: Professor A, Professor B, and Professor C.

We are granting an extention of final submission of GRE Scores, Transcripts and References until January 5th. This means that the universities and recommenders need to have your documents to our offices or in this email box by this date. Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Kind regards,

NDSEG Fellowship Team

Thank you fullwaverectifier!

• 1 month later...

They sent me the following:

"Dear TPNigl,

Thank you for applying to the NDSEG Fellowship Program, we accepted over 3600 applications for the 2018 Fellowship Class.  Just a reminder, we are still accepting GRE Scores, Transcripts and References until January 5, 2018.  Please keep in mind as we upload these documents into your profiles, correspondence via email and phone might be delayed due to the volume.

The next steps in the process are: 

1. The application packet review by our Subject Matter Experts in February, who will choose the top forty percent.
  2. The top forty percent will then go to the DoD panel review starting in March, who will make the final selection of 200 fellows for the 2018 Fellowship Class.
  3. Notifications to Awardees will be sent in April. 

Thank you for your interest in the NDSEG Fellowship and best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

NDSEG Fellowship Team"

I guess it's new?

Edited by TPNigl

14 hours ago, superlative_high said:

Hmm, did everyone receive an email like TPNigl's? I never received final confirmation about my application being complete and there was no way to check online. Now a little worried that it wasn't fully submitted

They didn't send my anything like that either. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

If we're in our first year of graduate study, did we have to submit official transcripts from the graduate institution? I remember uploading a PDF of my official undergrad transcript in the application, but I submitted everything before any of my first semester grades were available. Was I actually expected to submit first semester grades? I'm kind of freaking out now...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 9:20 PM, hkcool said:

If we're in our first year of graduate study, did we have to submit official transcripts from the graduate institution? I remember uploading a PDF of my official undergrad transcript in the application, but I submitted everything before any of my first semester grades were available. Was I actually expected to submit first semester grades? I'm kind of freaking out now...

I am not exactly sure since my first term grades were out so I submitted them. Since yours had not yet been released, you were not expected to submit them. However, I think they did want a list of courses you were enrolled in. You should definitely email them though, as this could potentially be important (and fixable if you contact them). 

I saw on their website that the Panel Review Period ended on the 20th of February and so I sent them an email inquiring about a general timeline, this was their response, "
Thank you for touching base!  We will be sending an email out on the status within the week". Hope this helps settle some anxiety for people!

On 3/1/2018 at 1:43 AM, EllipticPDE said:

I am not exactly sure since my first term grades were out so I submitted them. Since yours had not yet been released, you were not expected to submit them. However, I think they did want a list of courses you were enrolled in. You should definitely email them though, as this could potentially be important (and fixable if you contact them). 

I called them and the person on the line said not to worry about it, and if they needed that information from me, they would've reached out, so I guess that's good

On 3/8/2018 at 11:41 AM, Crazychemist92 said:

I saw on their website that the Panel Review Period ended on the 20th of February and so I sent them an email inquiring about a general timeline, this was their response, "
Thank you for touching base!  We will be sending an email out on the status within the week". Hope this helps settle some anxiety for people!

Wow, that seems so soon! I'm not sure I'm ready to find out...

Definitely did not expect to hear back from them this week... now I feel more anxious

On 3/8/2018 at 8:41 AM, Crazychemist92 said:

This is the exact type of information I come here to find, and yet all it has done is make me more anxious!

I called them today at the number listed on the NDSEG website, and the woman who answered said we should expect to receive email notification about our status next month...

52 minutes ago, hkcool said:

I called them today at the number listed on the NDSEG website, and the woman who answered said we should expect to receive email notification about our status next month...

That's more in line with what I was expecting. I was an alternate last year and was notified around mid-April. As I understand it, after the panel review period ends, the applications that move on to the next stage are sent to the DoD, which has the final decision on which ones to fund.