New NDSEG website not secure?

timedilation

Just got an email from STI-Tec informing me that my application "was reviewed by a panel of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for [my] discipline. After review, [my] application was chosen to move forward to the final step in the process: the DoD Panel Review." The final decisions should be made by March 31st, and award letters will go out shortly thereafter. Eep! I feel like this information sets me up for a bigger let-down.... Fingers crossed.

Edited by cephnerd

I think it's down to 200 or so? Also, any idea if they let the other people know if they weren't considered? I didn't get an email myself so I'm guessing I am not moving on, haha

I didn't get an email, does that mean I did not make it to the next round?

Edit: I just emailed them asking and will update this post if I hear back from them.

Edited by EllipticPDE

I re-read the email they sent out in January, and it says that the subject matter experts will select the top 40%. They said 3600 people applied, so that's about 1400 who make it to the final round. I guess the chances of us getting it are still quite small (~14%). It seems like the timeline is pretty fast though if the DoD review is over on March 31...

31 minutes ago, hkcool said:

I re-read the email they sent out in January, and it says that the subject matter experts will select the top 40%. They said 3600 people applied, so that's about 1400 who make it to the final round. I guess the chances of us getting it are still quite small (~14%). It seems like the timeline is pretty fast though if the DoD review is over on March 31...

Wait, so was this an email that they sent to everyone in January? I don't think I ever got anything like that from them, and I would be shocked if I was not in the top 40% of applicants. Maybe they never even got my application or something....

24 minutes ago, EllipticPDE said:

Wait, so was this an email that they sent to everyone in January? I don't think I ever got anything like that from them, and I would be shocked if I was not in the top 40% of applicants. Maybe they never even got my application or something....

I think the January email went to most people's spam folders (it was in mine, and I only saw it in February). The 40% figure seems kind of off to me, but who knows...

I'm not clear as to whether the email y'all are referencing was sent long ago or not. 

On 3/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, EllipticPDE said:

I am in the sample place as you EllipticPDE. Please let me know what you find out. 

Here is what they sent me:

Notification emails were sent on Friday, March 16. Please check your junk and spam boxes for the email. Should you be unable to locate the message, please reach out again.

Thank you,

-The NDSEG Fellowship Team

I found my rejection email in the spam folder of my alternate e-mail account :(

50 minutes ago, EllipticPDE said:

Here is what they sent me:

Notification emails were sent on Friday, March 16. Please check your junk and spam boxes for the email. Should you be unable to locate the message, please reach out again.

Thank you,

-The NDSEG Fellowship Team

I found my rejection email in the spam folder of my alternate e-mail account :(

They resent my email, I never found the original one. 

I'm sorry, these fellowships are very arbitrary and the difference between winning and losing is stupid. I do notice last year that several people that got accepted off the waitlist were people who were initially rejected.........

2 hours ago, GoldenDog said:

They resent my email, I never found the original one. 

I'm sorry, these fellowships are very arbitrary and the difference between winning and losing is stupid. I do notice last year that several people that got accepted off the waitlist were people who were initially rejected.........

In the same boat here - didn't realize notifications had gone out until this morning. Called them today and now just waiting for them to send me the email again...

I called them today and was told that the emails that were sent on the 16th have not been sent to all the applicants, and that they are still going through some people and that all email updates should be received in the next few days (for those that haven't already received them).

On 3/16/2018 at 4:19 PM, hkcool said:

On 3/23/2018 at 11:35 AM, elzuap said:

I called them today and was told that the emails that were sent on the 16th have not been sent to all the applicants, and that they are still going through some people and that all email updates should be received in the next few days (for those that haven't already received them).

Did they actually say how many people move onto this last stage? They didn't tell me this in the March email I got, and I never got a January one.

1 hour ago, GoldenDog said:

Did they actually say how many people move onto this last stage? They didn't tell me this in the March email I got, and I never got a January one.

This is the full text of the email:

Dear ___,

Thank you for applying to the NDSEG Fellowship Program, we accepted over 3600 applications for the 2018 Fellowship Class.  Just a reminder, we are still accepting GRE Scores, Transcripts and References until January 5, 2018.  Please keep in mind as we upload these documents into your profiles, correspondence via email and phone might be delayed due to the volume.

The next steps in the process are: 

1. The application packet review by our Subject Matter Experts in February, who will choose the top forty percent.
  2. The top forty percent will then go to the DoD panel review starting in March, who will make the final selection of 200 fellows for the 2018 Fellowship Class.
  3. Notifications to Awardees will be sent in April. 

To plan for Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) throughout the federal government, all programs must capture race and national origin (RNO) Data.  To provide this data, please click on this link: Click Here to Open EEO Form    

When you complete the form and save, it will automatically post to your file.  Please note, providing this information is voluntary and has no impact on your selection status.

In addition, we encourage you to join our social media sites if you haven't already, you may go to the website to join: www.ndsegfellowships.org. We will be posting STEM information on a regular basis.

Thank you for your interest in the NDSEG Fellowship and best of luck to you!
Sincerely,

NDSEG Fellowship Team

---

They never explicitly stated 1400, but they said they received over 3600 applications this year in the update email sent on March 16th, so if the 40% figure is to be believed, then approximately 1400 applicants would have made it to the DoD panel review. That seems like a pretty large number to me, and they assembled subject matter experts to only cut out slightly more than half of the applications, but who knows at this point?

Edited by hkcool

1 hour ago, hkcool said:

This is the full text of the email:

Dear ___,

Thank you for applying to the NDSEG Fellowship Program, we accepted over 3600 applications for the 2018 Fellowship Class.  Just a reminder, we are still accepting GRE Scores, Transcripts and References until January 5, 2018.  Please keep in mind as we upload these documents into your profiles, correspondence via email and phone might be delayed due to the volume.

The next steps in the process are: 

1. The application packet review by our Subject Matter Experts in February, who will choose the top forty percent.
  2. The top forty percent will then go to the DoD panel review starting in March, who will make the final selection of 200 fellows for the 2018 Fellowship Class.
  3. Notifications to Awardees will be sent in April. 

To plan for Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) throughout the federal government, all programs must capture race and national origin (RNO) Data.  To provide this data, please click on this link: Click Here to Open EEO Form    

When you complete the form and save, it will automatically post to your file.  Please note, providing this information is voluntary and has no impact on your selection status.

In addition, we encourage you to join our social media sites if you haven't already, you may go to the website to join: www.ndsegfellowships.org. We will be posting STEM information on a regular basis.

Thank you for your interest in the NDSEG Fellowship and best of luck to you!
Sincerely,

NDSEG Fellowship Team

---

They never explicitly stated 1400, but they said they received over 3600 applications this year in the update email sent on March 16th, so if the 40% figure is to be believed, then approximately 1400 applicants would have made it to the DoD panel review. That seems like a pretty large number to me, and they assembled subject matter experts to only cut out slightly more than half of the applications, but who knows at this point?

Ah ok cool. I really wish they would tell us who makes up the DOD panel... Because that's really where you make the money, and I don't know if it's project managers, or just random researchers, or what? it would make a difference. I discussed specific divisions w/ in navy and AFOSR in my app, so I'm not sure if the app is sent to DOD generally, specific divisions, etc...

14 minutes ago, KaffeeCafe said:

I just received an email requesting “updated education information” with a link to a form to update my graduate institution / specialization. What does this mean? Anyone else ?

14 minutes ago, cephnerd said:

Has anybody else received a request for updated education information?

Nothing on my end. Maybe it's an email sent to senior undergrads requesting to know what school they've chosen? Either way, sounds like you're still in consideration!

Edit: I just received the email as well. Not sure why they're asking to be honest...

Edited by hkcool

I was just confused because the form autopopulated the "Graduate School Major Field" but not my current institution. I am currently a graduate student so I wasn't sure if there was an issue where it didn't have my graduate school on record.

34 minutes ago, KaffeeCafe said:

I was just confused because the form autopopulated the "Graduate School Major Field" but not my current institution. I am currently a graduate student so I wasn't sure if there was an issue where it didn't have my graduate school on record.

Same... @KaffeeCafe did you end up just leaving it blank or adding your current grad institution?