Gender, Women's and Feminist Studies, Fall (Autumn) 2018

abenz

Hello!

This might seem really early but I'm working on my grad school applications for entry next year and wanted to see if anyone else is doing the same? So far my Gender/Women's Studies options are:

Emory 

University of Maryland

University of Wisconsin-Madison (sociology)

Indiana University-Bloomington

University of York (UK)

University of Sussex (UK)

(Possibly) University of Arizona

(Possibly) Western University in Canada

My research interests are around embodiment, reproductive health, contraception, phenomenology, agency, contraceptives as icon/symbol of femininity - all the fun stuff! I work in development/SRHR overseas now and already have my MSc, but still not sure what my chances will be! Is anyone applying to U of Az or Western that could talk about what appeals? The course at Western would be amazing for me but I hear that London Ontario is a terrible place to live ... Also, what's a good number to apply to? The UK university applications aren't due for a while so focusing on those in the US/Canada for now!

Looking forward to hearing from others!

Ams

Edited by abenz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Good luck with your applications! I wish I could answer some of your questions, but alas. 

I'm currently finishing my undergraduate in Atlanta so if you have any questions about the city, lmk! I also know two people who went on to do their WGSS phd at Emory. I've heard mixed things, mostly having to do with the department's (or maybe the school's?) racism, but I also know someone who feels pretty content there because the faculty's research matches their own...

I'm applying to 5 gender and sexuality studies programs and a few others (ethnic studies, latin american studies, and american studies). I've gotten different advice about the number of applications to aim for, but I'm taking my professor's advice to apply to as many as I can afford/handle. My max is ten though, just because of the money... 

I'm applying to Stony Brook, UT Austin, University of Washington, Depaul, Rutgers, Berkeley, NYU, Brown and University of Illinois. My current interests vary from latinx studies, immigration/borderlands, affect theory, queer of color critique, queer temporality, neoliberalism (and biopolitics + sexual repression, etc). I would be more specific but I also don't wanna write my personal statements here, haha. 

If anyone else is interested in these topics, where are you applying? 

• 1 month later...

Hiya folks. I have a question about a program, but I don't think it really deserves its own thread? If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate your input. 

I want to apply to the Gender and Women's Studies PhD program at the University of Arizona. @abenz there are a couple things about the program that appeal. Most of my work is in trans* studies, and several faculty members there have expertise in the field. There are also resources on campus like the Transgender Studies Institute that are drawing my attention. 

As for my question:

The main welcome page for their PhD program has the following notice:

While all applications will be considered, for fall 2018 we are especially eager to recruit and admit candidates interested in graduate research in the following areas of faculty expertise:

Followed by 3 areas of study not remotely related to my interests. My assumption is -- based on current students and certain faculty members who specifically state they are not accepting new advisees -- that the program an overabundance of PhD students in my general area of interest. 

My question is: should I bother? Obviously my proposed research project isn't identical to what current students are doing, but it's clear that the program attracts people interested in trans* studies. I do feel like, without the above statement, I could have a chance of being accepted, but if they're specifically looking for people with other interests, I might already be out of the game. 

What do you think?

They say that all applicants will be considered, so if you feel very strongly about the school, I'd still throw out an application with the understanding that it's probably a long shot.  I'm sure that your sense that this has to do with the current makeup of their grad population is correct.  It could be that other subfields are very crowded, or maybe they are lacking in these subfields and want to build them up, because the faculty in them don't have students to advise.

That said!  A lot could happen.  They could not get enough strong applicants in those desired subfields.  They could get very strong applicants in them, but then lose them in recruitment and need to go to their waitlist.  Etc., etc.

Thanks for the advice, @jrockford27! It's very much what I needed someone else to tell me, haha.

Typing out that post this morning kind of helped me come to terms with the idea that it might not be in the cards. If, after I get my other apps in, I find myself with an extra $80 and a little bit more optimism, I might give it a shot. 

Hey @bumbleblu! Interesting question. Have you reached out to any faculty at all at U of Az? I've spoken to a few faculty members by email/skype at all the schools I'm applying to, just to get a sense of whether they think my interests fit strongly enough into their departments for me to apply. It's been really helpful as it both ruled in and ruled out a couple of places for me, so although it's made this process a lot longer, I feel more confident in applications. If you have time to reach out to a faculty member who looks like they might share some interests at U of Az, I'd probably recommend doing the same?

(I'll send you a PM as well.)

• 2 weeks later...

Have submitted 4 out of my 6 applications and about to submit my 5th tonight, with only my SoP for number 6 to finalise ... anyone out there also nearly finished? I'm so ready for this to be done :) 

Good luck to anyone still writing theirs!

On 11/29/2017 at 12:49 PM, abenz said:

Thanks @Jay.B! Good luck to you too, where are you applying? What are your interests?

I've kind of betrayed this forum by applying for Sociology over Gender Studies (except for one program) ...

I am taking a break before making my next move. I just completed a very exhausting Master's. I plan on reaching PhD level but first i am taking a break.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi!

I applied to both Geography and WGSS programs. Currently working on my MA in WGSS at SUNY Stony Brook. 

Wondering if people are starting to hear back from places? I put in applications so long ago, and I was nervous to start with, time is only making it worse~!

Congrats on your acceptance to IUB, @indigopierogy!!

I've heard back from all the Gender Studies programs I applied to. Waiting to hear about my English programs now, and you're right, the stress is real!

edited to ask: If you had your choice of programs, would you choose WGSS or Geography? 

Edited by bumbleblu

12 hours ago, indigopierogy said:

Wondering if people are starting to hear back from places? I put in applications so long ago, and I was nervous to start with, time is only making it worse~!

I applied to 8 programs (3 gender studies), and haven't heard anything from any of them. I know it's still fairly early in the process, but I'm at the point where I've convinced myself I won't get in anywhere, lmao. I thought the anxiety would decrease significantly once turning in applications but it's actually been the exact opposite. 

Hi all! I applied to seven programs (six in Gender Studies and one in Sociology) and have heard from four of them over the last three weeks or so. The waiting period is coming to an end! 

2 hours ago, toear5 said:

Hi all! I applied to seven programs (six in Gender Studies and one in Sociology) and have heard from four of them over the last three weeks or so. The waiting period is coming to an end! 

Do you mind sharing what WGSS programs you applied for and which ones you've heard back from? 

29 minutes ago, fvcr said:

Do you mind sharing what WGSS programs you applied for and which ones you've heard back from? 

Sure! I've listed them all and my application status for each below. All of the programs I applied to are WGSS unless otherwise noted. 

Emory University - Interview

University of Arizona - Accepted

Indiana University-Bloomington - Accepted

Arizona State University - Accepted

University of Michigan (Women's Studies/Psychology) - No response

University of Minnesota - No response

Vanderbilt University (Sociology) - No response 

1 hour ago, toear5 said:

Sure! I've listed them all and my application status for each below. All of the programs I applied to are WGSS unless otherwise noted. 

Emory University - Interview

University of Arizona - Accepted

Indiana University-Bloomington - Accepted

Arizona State University - Accepted

University of Michigan (Women's Studies/Psychology) - No response

University of Minnesota - No response

Vanderbilt University (Sociology) - No response 

That's amazing! Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your Emory interview and the rest of the applications. I'm hoping to be in your shoes (knowing that I've gotten in somewhere) in the next few weeks D: fingers crossed for all of us 

@bumbleblu So my top choice right now is Penn State's Geography Program, they have a combined Ph.D. with WGSS, so it's essentially like getting two Ph.D.s. I'm desperate to get in there, especially because my research is in the state of Pennsylvania, and I absolutely love the state (weird saying that since I grew up there and hated it growing up). Plus, Penn State really opens doors for you in the job market (so does having 2 degrees). State College is actually also a really nice place to live, my significant other is from there, and I really like the rural/college town feel of it. But Bloomington also seems like a State College kind of town and its suuupper cheap. So honestly, if I only get into Bloomington, I won't be mad. After living on Long Island, you really come to appreciate the finer things in life, like WiFi that works (WiFi here is garbage) and one-bedroom apartments under 1500! 

Also, some of the Geography programs deadlines aren't until Feb 1. Its like, when am I going to hear back from those guys?? I was hoping to hear back from everyone by mid-February at the latest. -_-

16 minutes ago, indigopierogy said:

@bumbleblu So my top choice right now is Penn State's Geography Program, they have a combined Ph.D. with WGSS, so it's essentially like getting two Ph.D.s. I'm desperate to get in there, especially because my research is in the state of Pennsylvania, and I absolutely love the state (weird saying that since I grew up there and hated it growing up). Plus, Penn State really opens doors for you in the job market (so does having 2 degrees). State College is actually also a really nice place to live, my significant other is from there, and I really like the rural/college town feel of it. But Bloomington also seems like a State College kind of town and its suuupper cheap. So honestly, if I only get into Bloomington, I won't be mad. After living on Long Island, you really come to appreciate the finer things in life, like WiFi that works (WiFi here is garbage) and one-bedroom apartments under 1500! 

Also, some of the Geography programs deadlines aren't until Feb 1. Its like, when am I going to hear back from those guys?? I was hoping to hear back from everyone by mid-February at the latest. -_-

Tha program sounds really cool! I've been pondering which I'd prefer, WGSS or English, and it's tough. Interesting to hear what other multi-disciplinary folks think. 

The wait is real. Good luck with the rest of your programs!

2 hours ago, fvcr said:

That's amazing! Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your Emory interview and the rest of the applications. I'm hoping to be in your shoes (knowing that I've gotten in somewhere) in the next few weeks D: fingers crossed for all of us 

Thank you! And yes fingers crossed for sure. 

On 1/25/2018 at 3:51 PM, bumbleblu said:

Tha program sounds really cool! I've been pondering which I'd prefer, WGSS or English, and it's tough. Interesting to hear what other multi-disciplinary folks think. 

The wait is real. Good luck with the rest of your programs!

bumblebu, when did you hear back from umn about the feminist studies program????