CSU Apply Grad Applicant Question

BackNSchool83

Question

I'm applying to several MSW programs in the Cal State University system

These schools have their own applications in addition to the big CSU application (CAL APPLY)  that is to the school

Need help with Cal Apply

This is asking me for an SOP, to list achievements, experiences, and documents (a section on each) but I've already filled this kind of info out on the MSW application, do I have to do both?

CSU APPLY is asking if I'm independent, which I am, but it wants 2016 Tax information which I do not have yet. I don't see why they need this other than for their stats, this isn't a FAFSA app

I've been full time and not earning money this year so I'm guessing I'll put 0, but it's an estimate and this makes me uncomfortable...

thanks

3 answers to this question

1. Yes, you have to do both. You don't want to be accepted to a program but rejected from the school because you failed to turn in a completed application.

2. CSUs may have additional need-based funding and may just be trying to estimate how many students they'll have with need-based funding. Is there a reason you don't have your tax information from the previous year yet?

29 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Thank you for your reply. I guess I need to wait till I can talk to them tomorrow, I was hoping to get everything done today. Seems odd there would be a separate SOP for the school system, like the entire CSU system that you have no heads up on. The tax info, I will have to look, I don't recall having anything specific for 2016 actually... I appreciate your input I will fill out as much as I can and get in touch with them.

The CSU uses a standardized app. It's up to programs to set additional requirements. Unfortunately, this sometimes leads to weird things like having to write an SoP for the department and then answering the same information in a different way in the school app. Typically (to my knowledge), the school app is used more to make sure CSU-wide standards are met (a program could feasibly accept an applicant who is later rejected for not meeting the minimum requirements on the school app) and for things like financial aid. Weird system and I ultimately blame bureaucracy, haha. 

Just as an fyi, though we're not in the same field, I did spend 4 years of undergrad and 2 years of grad in the CSU system, so I know how odd applying to it can be.