Applying for Fall 2018

I'mReallyScaredIWontGetIn

10 hours ago, I'mReallyScaredIWontGetIn said:

I woke up to an email that a paper I wrote had been accepted to another conference. Which is fantastic news, but like, I wish I could update my CV to all these schools that I applied to. I guess this is not the worst news. 

I'm pretty sure most schools will accept updated CVs at this point.  At the very least, it wouldn't hurt to contact them and ask if you can submit an updated one because you've just gotten a new accolade.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an idea how soon after an interview schools tend to notify applicants of a decision?

I've had an incredible week--an offer from one of my top schools and an interview with another. I'm hoping to hear back relatively soon from all of my schools so that I don't make a bad impression at or make things difficult for my potential program...

I just read in the results that someone (I assume it is the same person as they listed these results back-to-back and list the same GRE scores and undergrad GPA) applying for an MM in Composition was rejected from CU-Boulder but offered an interview at UMich.  Seems strange to me that CU would reject them without an interview if they got offered one at UMich, considering UMich is a much more prestigious program.  It's especially strange from my perspective as I got my MM in Composition at CU and considering my saga with getting rejected at UMich without interview this year (see my post above).  

Maybe it is all just a crapshoot after all, this whole application thing, and I shouldn't be reading the tea leaves and just hope I get lucky at this point.

On 1/21/2018 at 12:41 AM, I'mReallyScaredIWontGetIn said:

Does anyone have any information on when any of the ives plan on sending out their results? 

Charles Ives?

Just kidding, I assume you mean Ivies?  For composition at least, it should be sometime in February for Princeton, by this Friday Jan 26 for an interview invite for Yale (School of Music), and late February for Cornell.

2 hours ago, gweine said:

Hey everyone. Any news from US Davis and Stanford?? 

I interviewed at UC Davis (skype and phone with several faculty members) earlier in the month. I have not heard anything back yet. I am also a doctoral musicology applicant.

Thanks for the tips. I can, semi-obviously see what has been said on the results page, but I was curious if anyone had asked the schools directly when they were releasing their info this year. Columbia is my top choice, so I'm on pins and needles waiting. 

@ks391262 I tend to think it's a crapshoot too. I've seen really talented friends get rejected flat out for years in a row, and others who have a weak CV and no teaching experience get into amazing programs. Who knows. 

13 hours ago, I'mReallyScaredIWontGetIn said:

@ks391262 I tend to think it's a crapshoot too. I've seen really talented friends get rejected flat out for years in a row, and others who have a weak CV and no teaching experience get into amazing programs. Who knows. 

Hey, there's hope for me yet!

1 hour ago, gweine said:

Hey guys... It's very silent here in this forum... Do you have any updates?  It's so stressful to wait for these results. :(

Not at all, though I'm curious about the sole individuals who posted results for UC Berkeley (in ethnomusicology) and UCLA (in musicology). Waiting has caused so much anxiety though lol

Edited by mm3192

26 minutes ago, Chery2013 said:

Hey all,

I’m totally new to this thread, but I for those who applied to The University of Chicago I believe that they have concluded their admissions process. Cuz I got the email saying I was accepted on Saturday. 

Congrats on getting accepted!  What discipline is that for?  I applied for composition and am still waiting to hear from them.

2 hours ago, mm3192 said:

Not at all, though I'm curious about the sole individuals who posted results for UC Berkeley (in ethnomusicology) and UCLA (in musicology). Waiting has caused so much anxiety though lol

I didn't post about either, but I've had a (musicology) interview with Berkeley a week ago and was invited to interview at UCLA on February 20-21.

4 hours ago, mm3192 said:

Same here. Dying to know about that UC Berkeley admit . . . dying to know in general, really.

33 minutes ago, AnthroPhDHopeful said:

Same here. Dying to know about that UC Berkeley admit . . . dying to know in general, really.

Congratulations and so there's a potential that we end up in the same cohort! That's amazing! Yeah, I imagine that they know but might be working out financial packages before sending out the word. I'm really hoping this is the week! Luckily I've got one admit (UVA), so I'm not too worried about hearing back anymore, just having trouble concentrating on both my undergrad and preparing for graduate! 

2 hours ago, Chery2013 said:

I was accepted into their music history/theory PhD program. It’s the closest you can get to musicology there. 

Congratulations on the acceptance.  Like ks391262, I'm applying for their PhD in composition, though I think my chances of getting accepted without any music degree, much less a master's, are very low.