Vanier CGS (2017-2018)

PsychBoy

3 hours ago, p(ache)d said:

@PsychBoy Tangibly, it's just given me more time to work on research. I only get one TA a year (as opposed to two pre Vanier) so it's freed up time. Additionally, I think in some ways it's added more pressure to be a "good academic", but much of that is probably concocted by me.

Re: publications, I didn't have any peer reviewed journal pubs going into applying and I ranked middle of the pack of Vanier recipients. I remember what it was like for me this time of year, and it was unbearable. I was a wreck. Don't be like me. Take care of yourselves and remember that so much of this is subjective and luck of the draw in terms of who you get reviewing your application. 

thanks!!

8 hours ago, somuchtoread said:

I wish there was a way to know if it's the 30th or the 31st :S That "end of March" timeline isn't helping my countdown. 

researchnet says 30 and Friday makes more sense

Edited by PsychBoy

I was just checking research net (because WHO KNOWS MAYBE THEY POSTED THE RESULTS... they didn't), and it says " Anticipated Notice of Decision    2018-03-30" I found this when I clicked on "View Funding Opportunity Details" 

So I guess that kind of confirms what we were saying?? Still secretly holding out for the 29th :D

Edit: Clearly I'm delirious.. I see that @PsychBoy has already posted this information! Whoops.

Edited by slp_throwaway

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but my friend who won the Vanier last year said she found out in the afternoon of the 29th. The 29th was a Wednesday in 2017.

I REALLY hope it's going to be that soon! Ahhhh!

12 minutes ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but my friend who won the Vanier last year said she found out in the afternoon of the 29th. The 29th was a Wednesday in 2017.

she found out through ResearchNet on the 29th?

1 hour ago, CrazyPugLady said:

WOW, this is a game changer!! Throws off my countdown completely haha! :lol: 

I think I saw on a gradcafe thread from a prior year that some departments knew before students, but I can't remember if that was Vanier or SSHRC... 

52 minutes ago, Gradstudentforlife said:

WOW, this is a game changer!! Throws off my countdown completely haha! :lol: 

I think I saw on a gradcafe thread from a prior year that some departments knew before students, but I can't remember if that was Vanier or SSHRC... 

It's SSHRC Doctoral that some departments know before students. I think it's because SSHRC PhD does not use an online system like Vanier or SSHRC MA, so departments and schools know before us.

My school's administrative staff is on strike. So who knows how long that will take to find out about anything. :( I can take solace in knowing that I will at least find out about Vanier through ResearchNet.

2 hours ago, somuchtoread said:

Wonderful! Now it means obsessively checking my e-mail and researchnet for 2 days instead of one :( 

might still be just one day if it's on the 29th lol 

5 minutes ago, somuchtoread said:

Noooooooooooooo!!!! Why? And when in early April? 

Either because it's Easter or because they are simply not ready. We don't know the exact date.