CSULB MSW fall 2018

Dkayleigh

Hey I wanted to start a thread to see if anyone was working on their applications yet to compare stats and acceptance/ rejection timelines. 

I applied to only CSULB last year, on the application deadline and wasn't accepted so this year I'm trying to get things in early. 

Experience: 2 years working in an FSP adult/ TAY program, Peace Corps, 2 years intake/ brand management for addiction recovery centers, 3 years senior adult caregiver, 2 years tutor/ youth mentor and I'm also currently running a DBT skills group. Overall GPA is a 3.2, upper division is 3.5

• 3 weeks later...

*** I totally misread your post and thought this was about Columbia for some reason. I can't figure out how to delete this post now haha! Oh well. If you're also applying to Columbia, I started a thread a few weeks ago! ***

Hey there!

I'm also applying for Columbia Fall 2018. I plan on submitting it before the priority deadline. 

Just curious - when you say you applied on the application deadline do you mean the first one or final one?

I'm going for Advanced Standing. I have my BSW and graduated with a 3.75 GPA. I worked for two and a half years with a non-profit filling a variety of roles. Mostly focusing on case management and outreach with people experiencing homelessness, serious mental illness and substance abuse. Sat on a variety of planning committees during that time and did some other projects as well. Now I work at an inpatient psychiatric unit at the hospital in town and have been doing that for about 10 months. 

Good luck on your application!

Edited by JonoDuncan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for starting this thread!

I have just completed my application for CSULB MSW 2018 and will be walking it in later this week. This is my first year applying to a graduate program as I will be graduating with a B.A. in Human Services this year.

My GPA is 3.94 and my experience includes 5 social work-related internships working with foster kids, adults with disabilities, homeless individuals, victims of abuse, and also experience in MediCal and CalFresh enrollment.

I look forward to following this thread to hear from other applicants regarding experience and timelines of acceptance/rejection correspondence. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am sending my application in tomorrow. I have a 3.3 GPA with a 3.6 in my last 90 units. Since graduation (for the past 2.5 years) I have been working in non-profit and immigration law. Can I ask if you applied to any other Cal-States MSW programs last year? 

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

I turned in my packet in person today (1/12). I have a GPA of uppergrad 3.313 from UC Irvine in Social Ecology (psychology and social behavior), undergrad 3.217 from community college. I have almost a year of experience with special needs, personal experience with LGBT and addictions. I also experience with at-risk youth, about 6 months. Then also almost 5 years experience with a safe home for women and children. Volunteer experience with a neigborhood organization for about 5 years. 

I also applied to Fullerton today. And frankly I’m terrified. I’ll be finishing up my app for Dominguez Hills this coming week. But Long Beach is my TOP pick.... With rolling admissions and not a 4.0 GPA, anyone able to ballpark what they think the odds are of getting in?

Applied: CSULB (1/12), CSUF (1/12), CSUD (???)

Accepted: 

Rejected: 

Edited by BeckieMSWFall2018
Added schools applied

I applied in mid October and was one of the first applicants, I heard back early December.

Beckie, I got that notification on 11/2/17, which is after they found a problem in my application that I had to correct, so if you got that email it probably means everything is in order and you are good to go, as it says. In my experience the way I found out was by checking the application status online on 12/9/17. Usually when you check it, it asks if you want an email to be sent updating you of the status, but the day I got in when I checked it, it simply said "Congratulations!" and said I was accepted into the MSW program. I thought it was a mistake so I called the SW department and they said it was legit, and then I got 2 emails the next day 12/11 with a formal acceptance letter from CSULB and from the SW department. They ask you to complete an applicant checklist within 10 days and part of that is saying you will attend CSULB, however there is no financial down payment that must be made to save your seat, which is nice.

My best to everyone here who is waiting, I hope you get in!

Edited by BackNSchool83

11 hours ago, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

Hello Everyone, 

I just wanted to update that I got an email this morning saying that they had fowarded my application to the final review board. And I was wondering if anyone has gotten rejection or acceptance letters yet.

Pelase let me know, Thanks!

Hi! I submitted my application to CSULB right before Thanksgiving and received two acceptance emails the second week of January! From what I have heard it takes 8--10 weeks after application submission for them to get back to you with a decision. Good Luck!

21 hours ago, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

Hello Everyone, 

I just wanted to update that I got an email this morning saying that they had fowarded my application to the final review board. And I was wondering if anyone has gotten rejection or acceptance letters yet.

Hi! I was wondering will CSULB send you a confirmation email that they received your app?

The SW department received my packet on 11/13. Prior to that, I had received the email from the school saying my application was forwarded to the department. I’ve yet to hear anything back after my packet was received. I check everyday but I only ever get the option to get the generic update email. So more waiting I suppose! :( 

I applied for 2015 but I had graduated that same year, my statement was weak, and I only had a couple of months of internship experience so here’s to hoping the last two years of hard work have paid off. Good luck everyone! 

On 1/19/2018 at 9:55 AM, Lalaa said:

Hi! I was wondering will CSULB send you a confirmation email that they received your app?

Hi Lalaa,

Yes, you should receive a confirmation email when they receive your application. This said, depending on how many applications they have received that week, it might not be immediate. I will also add that after several weeks of waiting for the email confirming that they stamped and received the application that I dropped off in-person, I finally made a call to the office and they said that they had sent an email the day after I dropped it off....though I have still not been able to located that email (checked spam and everything). Best of luck to you!

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, kath18 said:

I GOT ACCEPTED! I haven’t received the offical email yet but I checked my application status and was finally greeted by something other than the option to send an email update. I’m ecstatic to say the least!  

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask if you applied for the two-year program? Or for Advanced Standing? 

I received my confirmation about the SW department receiving my application on January 11th, but still have not heard anything. SO nervous. :( 

On 2/2/2018 at 12:23 PM, EDurham said:

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask if you applied for the two-year program? Or for Advanced Standing? 

I received my confirmation about the SW department receiving my application on January 11th, but still have not heard anything. SO nervous. :( 

Thank you! I applied for the 3yr program back in November. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

Hello Everyone, 

Hi, 

I haven't received a rejection or any updates since they first let me know that they forwarded my application to the final review board. Have you gotten any updates? I'm so nervous. :(

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, kath18 said:

I GOT ACCEPTED! I haven’t received the offical email yet but I checked my application status and was finally greeted by something other than the option to send an email update. I’m ecstatic to say the least!  

Hi there! 

I am wondering how long it took for you to receive your official e-mail from the department? My application status has been changed to "accepted"!!! :) I just have not heard from the department yet, so I am wondering how long it took for you. 

On 2/9/2018 at 10:57 AM, EDurham said:

Hi there! 

I am wondering how long it took for you to receive your official e-mail from the department? My application status has been changed to "accepted"!!! :) I just have not heard from the department yet, so I am wondering how long it took for you. 

Congratulations!!! It took until the next business day which was a Monday for me. Well, technically that was when the department reached out to me about the acceptance checklist. The actual graduate school sent theirs a few days after that. Hope this helps! 

17 hours ago, kath18 said:

Congratulations!!! It took until the next business day which was a Monday for me. Well, technically that was when the department reached out to me about the acceptance checklist. The actual graduate school sent theirs a few days after that. Hope this helps! 

Thank you! I received my e-mail this week!!! I'm so excited! 

On 1/19/2018 at 9:55 AM, Lalaa said:

Hello! Yes they did, I have actually received a couple confirmations. One that they received it, one that they forwarded it for review. One recently about sending in transcripts, which I've already done.

Good luck to you

Hello everyone,

i am an international student and I submitted my application to the CSU MSW in October. I received confirmation from the department that my application is complete and has begun processing. On the 25 January, I received another email from the MSW department assigning me to an academic advisor. That's he'll continue to be my advisor when I am admitted. 

Since then, I haven't heard anything neither has my status changed on the application portal. I'm freaking out, seeing others receiving their offer of acceptance. Worst thing, I am an international student. Visa processing, finding accommodation etc, is nerve-wracking.

That's odd, I was admitted back in December but I was not assigned an academic advisor. LB is on rolling admissions and as a friend of mine noted when she went down there, they literally had bins full of applications to sort through so it may take a while to hear back.