Fall MFA 2018

REEEEEEE

HI everyone,

Super late to the thread, but I was wondering if anyone else was an international applicant. Are chances significantly lower as an international applicant?

Thank you for your help.

21 hours ago, tifff said:

HI everyone,

Super late to the thread, but I was wondering if anyone else was an international applicant. Are chances significantly lower as an international applicant?

Thank you for your help.

I applied to a few programs internationally but what only accepted domestically. I think this likely varies by school. Above all else, your quality of work should and will speak for itself. A program isn't going to turn you away because of international status if you've incredible application materials.

On February 20, 2018 at 10:41 PM, tonydoesmovie said:

I applied to a few programs internationally but what only accepted domestically. I think this likely varies by school. Above all else, your quality of work should and will speak for itself. A program isn't going to turn you away because of international status if you've incredible application materials.

Thank you for clarifying! I was kind of concerned that they might have a quota for out of state/ international applicants. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about applying to PhD Creative Writing programs with a Low-Res MFA? I've been accepted to NC Wilmington and Stonecoast (University of Southern Maine) and I'm attracted to both for different reasons (if you have insight into either do tell!), but I'm worried about how a Low-Res MFA program would impact my chances of aacceptance at a PhD CW program two/three years from now. Thanks!

From what I know, CW PhD programs, like MFA programs, are most interested in your writing and your publications. While low res MFAs can be seen as 'lesser' programs than most of the full res MFAs ... Stonecoast has a stellar reputation for producing quality writers that go out into the world and publish with regularity. It's not like some of the programs out there that are more like profit machines than places for artists to explore and improve their art (i.e., Reinhardt, Arcadia, Augsburg).

I will say that it takes a special personality to get what they need from a low res program (I did a year in a low res program about a decade ago, hated it, and now I'm going back to a full res program). There are no regular class meetings, and depending on the program, all of your communication with your profs and your classmates will be written (although I have heard that some utilize Skype these days). I don't know your particular situation, but when I was in my low res program (one of the top ten in the country), I struggled mightily because a) I was paying my own way for both tuition and just survival -- with a full time job and a part time job and loans, which left little time to write and absolutely no energy to do so. I spent a decade in a corporate job saving money so that I could go back and do full res (I'm fully funded with a GA this time, but having that cushion is really helpful for my anxiety).

So it depends on what kind of funding you have at each, how much time you want to have available to write versus needing to remain employed full-time to support yourself. Also, depending on your real world job, you need to take into consideration the costs of residency -- days off of work, travel, hotel, etc. Stonecoast requires, I think, 2 10day residencies per year. I don't know if you're American, but if you get two weeks vacay a year at work ... that's all folks (and that probably includes your sick time allotment too).

I will say that Wilmington is a fantastic program in a fantastic town (although the cost of living there is higher than other cities in NC) -- they have a pretty good literary and music scene considering that a lot of the population there is seasonal (tourists, marine-based professionals).

The good news is that you have two great (if highly different) options to choose from. I hope that this helps clarify some things. Let us know what you decide!

4 hours ago, GallifreyGirl said:

From what I know, CW PhD programs, like MFA programs, are most interested in your writing and your publications. While low res MFAs can be seen as 'lesser' programs than most of the full res MFAs ... Stonecoast has a stellar reputation for producing quality writers that go out into the world and publish with regularity. It's not like some of the programs out there that are more like profit machines than places for artists to explore and improve their art (i.e., Reinhardt, Arcadia, Augsburg).

I will say that it takes a special personality to get what they need from a low res program (I did a year in a low res program about a decade ago, hated it, and now I'm going back to a full res program). There are no regular class meetings, and depending on the program, all of your communication with your profs and your classmates will be written (although I have heard that some utilize Skype these days). I don't know your particular situation, but when I was in my low res program (one of the top ten in the country), I struggled mightily because a) I was paying my own way for both tuition and just survival -- with a full time job and a part time job and loans, which left little time to write and absolutely no energy to do so. I spent a decade in a corporate job saving money so that I could go back and do full res (I'm fully funded with a GA this time, but having that cushion is really helpful for my anxiety).

So it depends on what kind of funding you have at each, how much time you want to have available to write versus needing to remain employed full-time to support yourself. Also, depending on your real world job, you need to take into consideration the costs of residency -- days off of work, travel, hotel, etc. Stonecoast requires, I think, 2 10day residencies per year. I don't know if you're American, but if you get two weeks vacay a year at work ... that's all folks (and that probably includes your sick time allotment too).

I will say that Wilmington is a fantastic program in a fantastic town (although the cost of living there is higher than other cities in NC) -- they have a pretty good literary and music scene considering that a lot of the population there is seasonal (tourists, marine-based professionals).

The good news is that you have two great (if highly different) options to choose from. I hope that this helps clarify some things. Let us know what you decide!

Thank you so much for your input. On the surface of things, it seems insane that I should consider paying for a low-res program when I was accepted at three fully funded ones (I was accepted at Minnesota Mankato and Hollins as well - if you have any info on those programs, please let me know!), but I am attracted to the singular focus low-res programs promise to provide on my chosen project (a novel). Does that make sense? Plus, I have to kids I am raising on my own, and the older one really doesn't want to move. Making a decision becomes so difficult when one has to consider so many angles, I can understand why people are driven to madness by the process :). 

In terms of reputation/quality, which programs is the best out of the four I have been accepted to? 

Edited by Perszona

1 hour ago, Perszona said:

Thank you so much for your input. On the surface of things, it seems insane that I should consider paying for a low-res program when I was accepted at three fully funded ones (I was accepted at Minnesota Mankato and Hollins as well - if you have any info on those programs, please let me know!), but I am attracted to the singular focus low-res programs promise to provide on my chosen project (a novel). Does that make sense? Plus, I have to kids I am raising on my own, and the older one really doesn't want to move. Making a decision becomes so difficult when one has to consider so many angles, I can understand why people are driven to madness by the process :). 

In terms of reputation/quality, which programs is the best out of the four I have been accepted to? 

My understanding is that Hollins is rebuilding its program, which has traditionally been strongest in CNF, and is currently "not what it was" in all genres. (Also, as a poet, most of my impressions are skewed towards that form, so keep that in mind). Mankato I had literally never heard of until I saw someone post an acceptance on the results portal here. Also, it's cold as shit in MN and, this is probably my bias showing but, it's literally a college town and assuming you're in your thirties like me, it can be tough to have a social life in that environment. On the other hand, for your kids, Mankato has the best school system of the three.

From what I've been able to glean, the funding levels are vastly different -- $7k at Hollins, $9k at Mankato, and $16k at ILM, according to my research -- although part of that is made up by the cost of living being about 10-15% less in Roanoke. The income tax in each state is about the same, so that doesn't make a lot of difference. Also keep in mind that ILM is 3 years over Hollins and Mankato's 2.

You should also review the the requirements for GAs at each school. For example, at the school where I've decided to accept, they have strict rules about additional employment (basically, I can only work up to 8 hours at outside employment per week, and only with a waiver from the GS to do so). Especially if you have kids to support, money is a huge factor to consider.

As for the "singular focus" of the low res program on the novel you want to write -- that just sounds like a thesis to me? Unless I'm missing something?

2 hours ago, GallifreyGirl said:

My understanding is that Hollins is rebuilding its program, which has traditionally been strongest in CNF, and is currently "not what it was" in all genres. (Also, as a poet, most of my impressions are skewed towards that form, so keep that in mind). Mankato I had literally never heard of until I saw someone post an acceptance on the results portal here. Also, it's cold as shit in MN and, this is probably my bias showing but, it's literally a college town and assuming you're in your thirties like me, it can be tough to have a social life in that environment. On the other hand, for your kids, Mankato has the best school system of the three.

From what I've been able to glean, the funding levels are vastly different -- $7k at Hollins, $9k at Mankato, and $16k at ILM, according to my research -- although part of that is made up by the cost of living being about 10-15% less in Roanoke. The income tax in each state is about the same, so that doesn't make a lot of difference. Also keep in mind that ILM is 3 years over Hollins and Mankato's 2.

You should also review the the requirements for GAs at each school. For example, at the school where I've decided to accept, they have strict rules about additional employment (basically, I can only work up to 8 hours at outside employment per week, and only with a waiver from the GS to do so). Especially if you have kids to support, money is a huge factor to consider.

As for the "singular focus" of the low res program on the novel you want to write -- that just sounds like a thesis to me? Unless I'm missing something?

You are a great source of info, thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

Minnesota Mankato is a relatively new program listed as "25 Most Underrated Programs" and the people I corresponded with all seem extremely nice. They are offering me $10,000K for three years. Hollins, as you have said, offers $7,000 for two years with opportunities to get more the second year, and NC Wilmington offers $16, 000. Based on both money and reputation, I would think NC Wilmington is the winner out of those three, right?

Stonecoast has great faculty which I find to be a huge draw, and by "singular focus" I mean that based on my limited knowledge low-res programs are more focused on a particular project (like a novel) and of course I would have a dedicated mentor. It would also allow me to have more time to write because I would not have to deal with TAship, which at Hollins is 10h per week and at both Mankato and Wilmington 20h per week. BUT - with Stonecoast, there is the price tag of course, and I was not offered a scholarship so I would have to take a student loan. 

I'm actually in my early 40s with two kids. After attending to them for 10 years I decided it was my turn to attend to myself. However, I still have to make sure they are taken care of and that schools etc. are good (which is why I had to turn down UNO, where I was accepted as well - that and lack of funding). I KNOW I should do a full res program with funding, but in terms of quality, I believe probably Stonecoast would be my best option (correct me if I'm wrong) and I have such a hard time to say no. 

There are many things to consider but ultimately, these are the three things I care the MOST about: (1) quality of program and faculty/cohort. I want to become a better writer. (2) Reputation, because I will need that when I apply for a PhD. And (3) finishing my novel - having the time and mentorship to do so. I can provide the discipline and dedication.

Edited by Perszona