Lubbock, TX

irishfan11

On 3/20/2018 at 1:14 PM, senorbrightside said:

Uh oh. I just searched this as I may end up at Texas Tech...and while I am white male, I am gay and extremely left-wing. I love the department, but I am scared to death about living in Lubbock and being miserable or even hate crimes and such. 

And yeah, bumping this up for more info in general in Lubbock :) Thanks. 

Hey! I currently live in Lubbock and have been here for the past 5.5 years. I'm very liberal and I will say that your department will be a great resource for you. The city has gotten a little better as it's grown/changed a lot (even in the 5 years I have been here). I haven't heard of any hate crimes happening in the time that I've been here. It's definitely racist and homophobic, but people are so fake nice that they wouldn't say anything to your face... It's all for the most part, subtle. 

If you have any questions about the area, where to live, etc, feel free to ask! 

• 1 year later...

Responding to this topic to see if it'll get some responses!

Just accepted an offer at Texas Tech for a master's this fall. I live in TN currently so my boyfriend and I will be making a big move when our lease ends in early May. Does anyone have any recommendations for best places to live? We would prefer a house since we've been in apartments for so long and i have one cat. We're looking through zillow now but I wasn't sure if there were other websites to find homes in the area for rent?

What are THE spots to visit in Lubbock? Best food and bars? What are some favorite spots of those who live there?