Results for 2010?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went into this whole application process kind of thinking that SUNY was the end all/be all of my future, but seriously, I was BEYOND impressed with John Jay. They have a program, and a staff, that seems incredibly supportive to each and every student they bring in. Good luck, catrin, because seriously, that program blew my mind! I hope you get in there. :-)

Nothing has changed since last time I posted this...unfortunately. Right now, my top choice would be CUNY. I saw someone got accepted to SUNY a couple of days ago, but hopefully it's not over yet. smile.gif

Who do you want to work with at CUNY (if you want to post it here)?

Applied: Maryland, SUNY, Penn State, CUNY- Graduate Center, UC-Irvine, MSU, Simon Frasier, UI-Chicago, Northeastern, University of Ottawa, Rutgers, American, University of Delaware, North Dakota State, George Mason

Rejected: Maryland

Accepted: UC-Irvine, MSU, UI-Chicago

Interview: CUNY

Finally have time to answer your question!

I was hoping to work with Green, Raghavan, Mooney, or Salfati. My main research interest is in crime and the media, but I'm also interested in gender and crime, rape and homicide, capital punishment, criminological and sociological theory, and racial/class disparities in the justice system...Okay, I'm kind of interested in everything CJ-related. :) What about you, what are your research interests?

I know of Raghavan and Salfati well since my MA is in forensic psych. My very good friend has worked with Raghavan for a number of years and she's a very supportive and great advisor. Salfati I will not mention here, but a word of caution: Everyone wants to work on topics related to serial murder and thus with Salfati and Schlesinger. If you get an interview, I would not mention her name. Please let me know if you have other questions about john jay or faculty.

My interests are kind of all over the place as well, but I try to focus on crime and the community (place), crime (especially violence) and gender, and research methods. I'm interested in most topics, which can be a problem some times. :)

Best of luck!

So who got into John Jay?? That's awesome!

I did! It came as a huge surprise very late last night :). Though I now have an extremely painful decision to make and have been informed that I need to be prepared to be stalked at the AP-LS conference in 2 weeks...I am ready!

Though this is for psychology, so I have no idea when their criminal justice PhD decisions are. Good Luck!!!

Congrats Juror! So, then... did you apply to behavioral Sciences at UCI, or Criminology, Law & Society?

Thanks!

I applied to the Psychology and Social Behavior program at UCI, but have yet to hear anything so I have kind of given up hope for them, oh well.

:) Ah, that's so sweet of you. I hope so!

Any words yet from Irvine?

No word yet, but recruitment weekend isn't until the end of the month, so there's still plenty of time. Even beyond that, I will still keep my hopes up until I hear otherwise. ;-)

Thanks!

I applied to the Psychology and Social behavior program at UCI, but have yet to hear anything so I have kind of given up hope for them, oh well.

I guess it would depend on what you wanted to do in the long run. If forensic mental health is your interest, John Jay would probably be most appropriate. Irvine is a great school, but I can't imagine anyone choosing South Orange County over New York City ;-) (I'm a native New Yorker living in Southern California; I speak from experience).

Anyway, congratulations again!

congrats juror! That's awesome---I thin I saw on the results that you applied for the forensic program? I looked into that a little bit at John Jay before I applied, and was really impressed with it: it seemed like a great program! (Though I have to admit, I looked at it in one of those "Man, CSI is so cool!" type of ways, because I've never actually taken a Forensics class---one of my biggest regrets from undergrad).

I guess it would depend on what you wanted to do in the long run. If forensic mental health is your interest, John Jay would probably be most appropriate. Irvine is a great school, but I can't imagine anyone choosing South Orange County over New York City ;-) (I'm a native New Yorker living in Southern California; I speak from experience).

Yeah, I actually was not holding out much hope for UCI because of the whole budget crisis. Right now I am actually trying to make the difficult decision between John Jay and Nebraska...which obviously are very very different places to live haha. But I am a native Midwesterner, so NYC and Irvine both are quite foreign to what I am use to haha.

congrats juror! That's awesome---I thin I saw on the results that you applied for the forensic program? I looked into that a little bit at John Jay before I applied, and was really impressed with it: it seemed like a great program! (Though I have to admit, I looked at it in one of those "Man, CSI is so cool!" type of ways, because I've never actually taken a Forensics class---one of my biggest regrets from undergrad).

Thanks! I applied to the forensic psychology program, so not really CSI type stuff, but still very fun! I have taken one forensic science course and I worked with the local police for a semester and got to play around in the crime scene lab a couple of times, it is definitely fascinating stuff! cool.gif

Juror#1, if you have any questions about John Jay, the program (I have many friends in both the experimental and clinical track) or NYC, please let me know. Email me at catrin82@msn.com if you need help. Good luck!

I was accepted to the program at George Mason University yesterday, so that's good news, actually.

Time to update results:

Applied: John Jay-Graduate Center, SUNY, Northeastern, MSU, UC-Irvine, George Mason, American, Delaware, UI-Chicago, Rutgers, Penn State, Simon Frasier, U of Ottawa, North Dakota State, Maryland

Rejected: Maryland, Penn State, SUNY

Accepted: Irvine, MSU, UI-Chicago, George Mason

Interview: John Jay