1 hour ago, Logjess said:

Hi everyone! 

First of all, congrats to everyone that was accepted! Would those of you who were accepted to U of T and Western mind sharing your GPAs with me? Just so I have a good idea of where I should roughly try be next year. 

Hi! I didn't apply to UofT but I did get accepted to Western. subGPA = 3.83 cGPA = 3.50. I didn't have very many SLP volunteer hours (roughly 40-55.. I can't remember the exact number on my application right now) but I do think my SLP reference was very strong as it was from an SLP at a local school board that I shadowed. On my application there was a section to talk about other volunteer experiences so I talked about other various experiences there. My other reference was my supervisor for my undergraduate thesis so I think that was also a strong reference. You definitely have a strong chance as long as your application is well-rounded I think :) 

1 hour ago, SLPapplicant6 said:

Where can we find information on the various schools and comparisons between them? (i.e., Western vs. Dal vs. Alberta, etc.). It would be helpful to know in the consideration of schools! 

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-program-requirements/ I found this link to be helpful in weighing my chances at the different Ontario schools. It shows you how many people applied vs how many seats are available and some general information about the programs. I'm not sure if there is a website that exists comparing all schools, though. Not that I have come across anyways.

3 hours ago, BE12 said:

Hey, 

So I received an acceptance from Western and was wait-listed at UofT. My average was a 3.57 when I applied with a Cgpa of 3.48! When they say marks aren't the most important thing they mean it! As long as your marks are "good" have a strong set of volunteering and you'll be okay :) 

to also add to this just to get an idea, I had ~300 hours of SLP volunteering (working with Aphasia clients, Dysphasia (all ages), and shadowed therapy sessions with kids with Autism). I had ~200 hours of related volunteering, translating for Syrian refugees (I'm bilingual from an early age), and schools clubs. Additionally I'v worked in a Cognitive science lab for 3 years and did my undergrad thesis on language topic. I also got 3 SLPs to write me a reference letter, and they all assured me they were very strong! So don't think that marks are everything, making a difference in the community really does help too. 

4 hours ago, BE12 said:

Hey, 

So I received an acceptance from Western and was wait-listed at UofT. My average was a 3.57 when I applied with a Cgpa of 3.48! When they say marks aren't the most important thing they mean it! As long as your marks are "good" have a strong set of volunteering and you'll be okay :) 

Hey! I got accepted to Western, my GPA was 3.6 and my subGPA was 3.8. I only had 16 hours of volunteering in speech settings, but had very strong academic references from top rated profs at Western. I also received a research grant last summer and worked in a lab at Western, and did my undergrad thesis as well!

Guest student45238

Hello Vancouverites!

I'll be moving to the Vancouver area this summer from Alberta and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of relevant places to volunteer?

Since I am a student from outside of Ontario, I was hoping to get maybe some advice on the SLP program in Western and SLP program in Toronto? What are their strengths and weaknesses? I heard that Western is more child-focused, but any additional advice would be appreciated :)

Hello everyone! Congrats on all your acceptances!

I am going into my second year of speech language pathology at western and have two rooms available for rent at my student house! Send me a pm if you’re interested! ?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!!

I personally got accepted to McMaster, waitlisted at Western and rejected at UofT (my #1 choice unfortunately). 

Anyone else got accepted to Mac? Is there a FB group that we can join to talk about our experiences, important info, networking, etc?

I know this is more of a Master's program thread, but since I didn't get in to any of these program this year (still hoping to get off the Dal waitlist though) I accepted an offer to attend Communicative Disorders Assistant at St. Lawrence College (Kingston) next year. If anyone else is taking this program at SLC send me a message - we have a facebook group started! :) 

Hey guys! I am currently on the waitlist for UWO, but have got accepted into the Brock Speech and Language Certificate program and am planning to attend there next year if I am not successful this year in receiving admissions into uwo's SLP grad program. I am just curious if there is anyone else out there looking to potential attend Brocks program next year as well?  Id love to connect !!

Just wanted to put some more positivity out there! Last year, I was rejected by four schools...

This year, I applied to U of A, UBC, Dal, and Western(again).

I have received acceptances from UBC, Dal, and Western! Rejection from U of A...I see a lot of people posting their acceptances and if you are someone who didn't receive an acceptance this year...try, try, try again! Please don't give up because I know that there were times I felt like I wanted to...just try to focus on working harder to impress admissions next year!

2 hours ago, SLPwug said:

Just wanted to put some more positivity out there! Last year, I was rejected by four schools...

This year, I applied to U of A, UBC, Dal, and Western(again).

I have received acceptances from UBC, Dal, and Western! Rejection from U of A...I see a lot of people posting their acceptances and if you are someone who didn't receive an acceptance this year...try, try, try again! Please don't give up because I know that there were times I felt like I wanted to...just try to focus on working harder to impress admissions next year!

I AGREE 100%!! This is my FOURTH year applying and I was finally accepted to a couple schools and still rejected from others. But I'm happy to say that I'll be starting my education in the Fall and in 2 short years I'll be an SLP! Don't give up if it's really something you want to pursue! You can do it! 

On 2018-04-03 at 1:54 PM, student45238 said:

Hello Vancouverites!

I'll be moving to the Vancouver area this summer from Alberta and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of relevant places to volunteer?

There is a rehab hospital called G.F. Strong that is great. You can apply through the Vancouver Coastal Health website and indicate your interest in speech path.  It often takes a while to get in, so I'd suggest applying early :)

Edited by firstshotatthis

Hi guys! Does anyone have any idea of how many people are on ottawa's waitlist? They don't put any info (except to not contact them under any circumstances) but maybe someone knows something!
thanks!