Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 11/27/2017 at 12:25 PM, treaclemineroad said:

Hello hopeful SLPs! I'm a current second-year student at the McGill SLP program. We just got some info that I thought this thread could benefit from. I don't know if this information has been publicized yet, but I wanted to make sure it was out there ASAP.

Quebec has changed some laws to do with criminal record checks, and it means two main things for our program, as I understand it:

- The program has CLOSED applications for international students, at the very least for the 2018-2019 school year but possibly longer.

- Practicum placements for the 2018-2019 school year will be delayed until the Winter 2019 semester for first-year students. This is a huge change to the practicum schedule and to be honest, I would not want in on this.

This is all to do with having to have a criminal record check from Quebec, for which you need a Quebec address.

I've passed this along to you guys because if I was an incoming student, I would very much want to know this for making a decision about which school I would attend. In my book, this would be a dealbreaker.

Are you able to speak at all to the focus of the McGill program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be interesting to know how many acceptances the U of A sends out in their first wave. It's super nerve-wracking not knowing! Ha ha

Congrats to everyone who got in so far! I am very excited for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey just wondering if anyone knows whether schools include grades received during an exchange in their gpa calculations? I am considering going on exchange next year in my last year of school but I don't want to risk it wrecking my chances of becoming an SLP! Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, speechie_3423 said:

Hey just wondering if anyone knows whether schools include grades received during an exchange in their gpa calculations? I am considering going on exchange next year in my last year of school but I don't want to risk it wrecking my chances of becoming an SLP! Thanks :)

I believe they do. In the application process, they ask for transcripts from multiple schools (if applicable), and they also ask for English translations of transcripts in case people went on an exchange. 

You can always ask the schools that you’ll be applying to in particular though!

I know a couple people who used their exchanges as a way to support their application though - they are great learning experiences that can show you the significance of language if you’re in a country that doesn’t speak your native tongue. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SLPhopeful1 said:

I believe they do. In the application process, they ask for transcripts from multiple schools (if applicable), and they also ask for English translations of transcripts in case people went on an exchange. 

You can always ask the schools that you’ll be applying to in particular though!

I know a couple people who used their exchanges as a way to support their application though - they are great learning experiences that can show you the significance of language if you’re in a country that doesn’t speak your native tongue. :) 

okay, thanks for the info! I will have to ask the schools I'm applying to :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to everyone who got accepted into Alberta, that's awesome! For those of us who applied to Ontario schools, we have just over a month to go. Has anyone else applied to McMaster? The MMI interviews are supposed to be coming out next Friday and I'm nervous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, futureslpcan said:

Congrats to everyone who got accepted into Alberta, that's awesome! For those of us who applied to Ontario schools, we have just over a month to go. Has anyone else applied to McMaster? The MMI interviews are supposed to be coming out next Friday and I'm nervous.

I applied to all three Ontario schools. I'm also feeling very nervous for next Friday when we find out about McMaster interviews. Fingers crossed for all of us who applied!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck to everyone applying this year! For those who are nervously awaiting the McMaster interviews, I wanted to let you know that the average for interviews last year was 3.77. I don't know what it's going to be this year but it will probably be close. 

Not sure if that'll calm you down or make you more nervous but hopefully it'll put your minds at ease 1 way or the other :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cait2018 said:

Just received an e-mail from McMaster inviting me to participate in the MMI process! 

Congrats! I also received an invite! Do you know what kinds of questions they might ask? The website is pretty vague :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SLPdreamer1996 No, I don't! I know the format originated for Med School so perhaps you could find more information.  I don't think it's necessarily SLP-specific but I could be wrong.  I am not sure if I will be going since it's quite an expensive flight for me! Best of luck to you :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HopefulSpeechie2018 said:

I also got an interview at McMaster! The MMI process sounds very stressful. I have no idea what to expect so if anyone has any helpful tips I would really appreciate it. 

I have done the MMI process three times for medicine (ugh), and I would assume it will not differ too much in its formatting.  It's usually a good mix of current events and how they affect the field of medicine (or SLP), situational questions, and usually one or two personal questions.  Your question is posted on the door outside your station and you have two minutes to gather your thoughts before you go in.  Then you have eight minutes inside the station with a single interviewer.  They do have prompt questions inside to help guide you through the discussion and help you to elaborate on the topic!  My advice would be not to carry one bad station through to all of the other ones - shake it off and start fresh - because some stations will definitely feel rockier than others!

Good luck to all interviewing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpeechHopeful'18 said:

Do we get an email informing us if we do not get an interview or how do we tell if we did not if we have not received an email yet? I know today is the day they send them out but I would like to know regardless!

I heard last year they sent out emails regardless. I also have no heard yet so I can't say for sure.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My official acceptance to the U of A is now up on the portal. If you were notified by Vicki on Feb. 20, it might be up now. I think it just depends on what order they go into the system. :) You do get an email when there are new messages on your portal ( mine was to my ualberta email address).

 

Edited by kshelton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kshelton said:

My official acceptance to the U of A is now up on the portal. If you were notified by Vicki on Feb. 20, it might be up now. I think it just depends on what order they go into the system. :) You do get an email when there are new messages on your portal ( mine was to my ualberta email address).

 

That's awesome! Mine still says 'under review' and I don't see a letter. Did your application status change? I don't know if I'm being irrational but I'm nervous that my offer might be conditional, since I haven't graduated yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kellua said:

That's awesome! Mine still says 'under review' and I don't see a letter. Did your application status change? I don't know if I'm being irrational but I'm nervous that my offer might be conditional, since I haven't graduated yet. 

Yes, the status changed from "under review" to "decision" and there is like a PDF download for an offer. I worried for no reason too, but if you think about it, the portal is like the official place for ALL of the grad students at the entire university. Because my official letter is from the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research, not just from the SLP department. So I think that the SLP department inputted their acceptances in a certain order, but even if there was only a couple minutes in between, the Faculty of Graduate Studies might have had a bunch of acceptances from other departments in between. If your offer was conditional, I feel like Vicki would have mentioned that in the email. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kellua said:

That's awesome! Mine still says 'under review' and I don't see a letter. Did your application status change? I don't know if I'm being irrational but I'm nervous that my offer might be conditional, since I haven't graduated yet. 

Also, @cait2018 and I both got emails on the same day, but my acceptance on the portal happened two days after hers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kshelton said:

Also, @cait2018 and I both got emails on the same day, but my acceptance on the portal happened two days after hers. 

Ah okay! That's reassuring, thanks a lot. Are you thinking of accepting the offer? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.