Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, cait2018 said:

Waitlisted at Dal too! I declined so hopefully that gives someone else a better chance of getting in :) Good luck everyone!! 

So have you decided for sure where you're going then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kshelton said:

So have you decided for sure where you're going then?

Not necessarily! For me, Alberta was “higher” on my list so I didn’t want to take up a spot on the waitlist. I am still waiting to hear back from 3 other schools but I am really excited about the prospect of U of A! I’m guessing you are still waiting to hear back as well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cait2018 said:

Not necessarily! For me, Alberta was “higher” on my list so I didn’t want to take up a spot on the waitlist. I am still waiting to hear back from 3 other schools but I am really excited about the prospect of U of A! I’m guessing you are still waiting to hear back as well? 

Just from McGill but I feel almost certain that I'll go to the u of a. I applied to Western too but it was my last choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kshelton said:

Just from McGill but I feel almost certain that I'll go to the u of a. I applied to Western too but it was my last choice. 

That's awesome! I am really waiting for McGill as well... maybe see you at U of A then :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to all getting their acceptance letters :) I’m a first year at Dal and if anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to reach out! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello SLP friends,

I've been reading through these forums for about 3 years now. Like many of you, SLP is my passion. Not a day has gone by that I haven't thought of SLP. I view all of my work, life and educational experiences through an SLP lens. This is my second time applying to SLP. Last year's refusals gave me motivation to push forward and do everything I could to improve my file. I've come a long way over the last three years since discovering this career. I am proud of what I have accomplished, all of the improvements I have made to my file and I really, really  hope that the McGill admissions committee will recognize this!!

It is so encouraging and inspiring to read through everyone's posts and see how passionate you all are about this field. 

I'd like to remind everyone who may receive refusals over the next few weeks, that this does not define your potential to be a great SLP one day. There are so many awesome applicants and such a limited number of seats available. Strong applications are rejected every year. 

A little word of encouragement: Keep your chins up! If you are refused admission this year, don't dwell on the disappointment. Use it as motivation to push forward! Grades do not define everything, experience counts and improvement can always be made.  I strongly believe that applying a second or third time shows character and commitment. 

I hope that everyone gets admitted to the program of their choice!

 

Edited by SLPfocus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SLPfocus said:

Hello SLP friends,

I've been reading through these forums for about 3 years now. Like many of you, SLP is my passion. Not a day has gone by that I haven't thought of SLP. I view all of my work, life and educational experiences through an SLP lens. This is my second time applying to SLP. Last year's refusals gave me motivation to push forward and do everything I could to improve my file. I've come a long way over the last three years since discovering this career. I am proud of what I have accomplished, all of the improvements I have made to my file and I really, really  hope that the McGill admissions committee will recognize this!!

It is so encouraging and inspiring to read through everyone's posts and see how passionate you all are about this field. 

I'd like to remind everyone who may receive refusals over the next few weeks, that this does not define your potential to be a great SLP one day. There are so many awesome applicants and such a limited number of seats available. Strong applications are rejected every year. 

A little word of encouragement: Keep your chins up! If you are refused admission this year, don't dwell on the disappointment. Use it as motivation to push forward! Grades do not define everything, experience counts and improvement can always be made.  I strongly believe that applying a second or third time shows character and commitment. 

I hope that everyone gets admitted to the program of their choice!

 

Very wise words! I was rejected twice before finally receiving an acceptance on my third round of applications. It was definitely frustrating, but it means so much knowing that I'm now in the program that I worked so hard for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SLPlease? said:

Very wise words! I was rejected twice before finally receiving an acceptance on my third round of applications. It was definitely frustrating, but it means so much knowing that I'm now in the program that I worked so hard for.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think made the difference for you the third time you applied? I'm just trying to create a plan for myself if I don't get in. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These next few weeks waiting to hear back from Ontario schools will be the death of me. Such a long waiting process! While we wait, what is everyone's top school choice and why? In the unlikely event that I get accepted to multiple schools (wishful thinking), it would be really nice to know what you all think of each program! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! Been creeping on this topic for quite some time, and the stress of not knowing is killing me! I think I have a fairly competitive application, ORPAS subGPA 3.88, cGPA 3.78,  pre-reqs close to 4.00, 178 hours volunteering with SLPs, employment for two summers as Inclusion Director for my City for children with disabilities, speech related thesis looking at first language attrition in the expressive language of grades 3 and 6 french immersion learners, strong references. 

I applied to Western, Toronto, and McGill this year.

 Anyone else thinking McGill will release their first round this week? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HopefulSpeechie2018 said:

These next few weeks waiting to hear back from Ontario schools will be the death of me. Such a long waiting process! While we wait, what is everyone's top school choice and why? In the unlikely event that I get accepted to multiple schools (wishful thinking), it would be really nice to know what you all think of each program! 

My top choice is U of A. Besides location, I know some SLPs who attended the program who said that they liked the fact that the program is more clinically focused while some programs are more research focused. I already know that research isn't what I want to do after school, so a clinically focused school would work well for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, alberta.slpa.to.slpa said:

My top choice is U of A. Besides location, I know some SLPs who attended the program who said that they liked the fact that the program is more clinically focused while some programs are more research focused. I already know that research isn't what I want to do after school, so a clinically focused school would work well for me. 

That's good to know! I didn't apply to Alberta only because of how far it is from my hometown (I'm from southern Ontario), but I would prefer a clinically based program over a research based program as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, HopefulSpeechie2018 said:

These next few weeks waiting to hear back from Ontario schools will be the death of me. Such a long waiting process! While we wait, what is everyone's top school choice and why? In the unlikely event that I get accepted to multiple schools (wishful thinking), it would be really nice to know what you all think of each program! 

I COMPLETELY AGREE! These next 3 weeks are going to be a challenge for sure - I'm trying to stay as busy as possible so I won't think about it every waking moment! 

I think that my #1 choice is McMaster - I've been living in Hamilton for almost 8 years and I feel really committed to the city and the university - it would be great to not have to move! However I know there are some serious downfalls to attending a program that isn't yet accredited and is basically brand new! So I will seriously have to consider the pros and cons if I am accepted to more than 1 school. 

So far I've been accepted to SUNY Buffalo and Dalhousie but hoping to attend a more local university.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DB_SLP said:

I COMPLETELY AGREE! These next 3 weeks are going to be a challenge for sure - I'm trying to stay as busy as possible so I won't think about it every waking moment! 

I think that my #1 choice is McMaster - I've been living in Hamilton for almost 8 years and I feel really committed to the city and the university - it would be great to not have to move! However I know there are some serious downfalls to attending a program that isn't yet accredited and is basically brand new! So I will seriously have to consider the pros and cons if I am accepted to more than 1 school. 

So far I've been accepted to SUNY Buffalo and Dalhousie but hoping to attend a more local university.  

McMaster seems like a great school! Going to Hamilton for the interview was the first time I'd ever been there and it seems like a really nice city, but I'm also hesitant about the program not being accredited yet. Congrats on the acceptances you already have!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peachyspeechie said:

Hi everyone! Been creeping on this topic for quite some time, and the stress of not knowing is killing me! I think I have a fairly competitive application, ORPAS subGPA 3.88, cGPA 3.78,  pre-reqs close to 4.00, 178 hours volunteering with SLPs, employment for two summers as Inclusion Director for my City for children with disabilities, speech related thesis looking at first language attrition in the expressive language of grades 3 and 6 french immersion learners, strong references. 

I applied to Western, Toronto, and McGill this year.

 Anyone else thinking McGill will release their first round this week? 

Hi there! :) Similar situation - I've been creeping on this forum for some time and now the stress of the unknown is killing me so I've decided to finally start posting in hopes that it somehow helps me cope haha

I agree with you, I think that McGill will be releasing their first round this week. From the looks of it in past years, it seems that they typically start calling people on Wednesday of the second week of March. So I imagine that they will start calling towards the end of this week. AHHHH! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 5:19 PM, SLPwug said:

hey everyone!

I thought I would share my experiences from applying to schools in 2017 & 2018! Just in case it could help anyone. I applied last year to McGill, Western, McMaster & U of T. I was still still finishing up pre-reqs when I applied. I did not get accepted to any of them, however, I did get invited to the interview at McMaster. It was a tedious and nerve-wracking process, but I am glad I went through it! I tried again this year, got the GRE done and am now in a few pre-reqs for U of A and UBC. I applied to Dal, U of A, UBC, and Western this time around. I just received my 'informal' acceptance letter from Dal this morning! So relieved! Still waiting to hear back from the rest. My U o A application still says pending!

Congrats to everyone who received acceptance letters! And good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back!

 

Hi I was waitlisted for Dal :( I'm curious as to what your resume /gpa/gre scores were like ? and also what is your top pick for schools if you get accepted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we need to send hard copies to Dalhousie or they send e copies ?

secondly if supervisor is required during or after the graduate admission ? 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DB_SLP said:

I COMPLETELY AGREE! These next 3 weeks are going to be a challenge for sure - I'm trying to stay as busy as possible so I won't think about it every waking moment! 

I think that my #1 choice is McMaster - I've been living in Hamilton for almost 8 years and I feel really committed to the city and the university - it would be great to not have to move! However I know there are some serious downfalls to attending a program that isn't yet accredited and is basically brand new! So I will seriously have to consider the pros and cons if I am accepted to more than 1 school. 

So far I've been accepted to SUNY Buffalo and Dalhousie but hoping to attend a more local university.  

Did you need a special undergrad to be accepted to Buffalo or do they take Canadian students without CSD undergrads? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peachyspeechie said:

Did you need a special undergrad to be accepted to Buffalo or do they take Canadian students without CSD undergrads? 

I was unsure if I would be accepted because I didn't have a CSD undergrad. I do have a related undergrad but I was accepted as a "makeup" student which means that I'll probably have to take some extra classes. It looks like I'd have to meet with an academic advisor to know the details. I will probably do that after I hear back from Ontario schools so I don't know all the details yet :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question for those accepted to Dal!

I just received the formal acceptance letter and the date provided to respond to your acceptance by is different from the informal acceptance letter date. The first e-mail said respond by April 7th (Deposit due April 30th), and the second e-mail states that we must pay a deposit by April 3rd. I am nervous about this timeline since I am waiting to hear back from other schools as well...

Anyone else confused?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.