3 hours ago, SLPwug said:

I have a question for those accepted to Dal!

I just received the formal acceptance letter and the date provided to respond to your acceptance by is different from the informal acceptance letter date. The first e-mail said respond by April 7th (Deposit due April 30th), and the second e-mail states that we must pay a deposit by April 3rd. I am nervous about this timeline since I am waiting to hear back from other schools as well...

Anyone else confused?

I would say email them and ask for clarification! I know I'm going to DAL so I didn't think to much about it. I've emailed questions to admissions before, they're very friendly and helpful!

38 minutes ago, JVancouver said:

Has anyone heard from UBC? Or do you know when people have heard from them in the past? I’m going crazy from waiting!!

I noticed from last year's thread that people began to receive acceptance calls from March 17.  So it should be this week for this year, if you are among the first to be accepted.

22 minutes ago, o2018 said:

Does Dal ever release how many applicants they had to their program? Just curious what the numbers look like

The last time I heard a number for acceptances to Dal it was in the high 20's - I believe 29. It's definitely one of the smaller programs in Canada.

Edited by SLPlease?

2 hours ago, o2018 said:

Does Dal ever release how many applicants they had to their program? Just curious what the numbers look like

Hi!! Based on what Dal's academic timetable has for available spots for enrollment next year I'm going to assume that they have 26 spots for SLP and 13 for Audiology. Back when I was first looking into the school a few years ago (2015 ish?) I remember seeing that during that particular year they got a just over 100 applicants to the School of Human Communication Disorders but they didn't specify which program those applicants had applied for. That being said I haven't been able to find similar information since so that number could be completely irrelevant now. 

Hello! Long time reader and first time poster here.

I am wondering if anyone has heard what the effect of McGill not accepting international applicants has had on the candidate selection/number of applicant pool etc.?

I'm hoping we all hear back from McGill soon! Eeeeee

Hey guys,

Anybody have any insight on the different costs for different schools? I applied to McGill, Dalhousie, and Alberta, and it seems like Dalhousie is way more expensive than the other two in terms of tuition. 

Dalhousie ~ $35,000 for three years

McGill ~ $19,000 for two years (out of province student)

Alberta ~ $11,000 for two years.

Seems like a pretty wild difference. 

Also, does anyone know when Alberta usually contacts you? McGill should be any time now (mid March)

1 hour ago, GTob said:

Hey guys,

Anybody have any insight on the different costs for different schools? I applied to McGill, Dalhousie, and Alberta, and it seems like Dalhousie is way more expensive than the other two in terms of tuition. 

Also, does anyone know when Alberta usually contacts you? McGill should be any time now (mid March)

I talked to someone at the u of a and it's more like 22000 for tuition for two years. He also said that most people in his cohort were accepted at the end of March, but the U of A does rolling acceptances

Edited by kshelton

1 hour ago, GTob said:

Hey guys,

4 minutes ago, kshelton said:

I talked to someone at the u of a and it's more like 22000 for tuition for two years. 

Those numbers are higher than I'd imagined, actually. I knew it was expensive, but that's a lot!

This is a pretty broad question, but does anyone know if students are usually eligible for scholarships from the faculty? I know it depends on each person, but are there lots of scholarship that SLP grad programs tend to give out?

4 minutes ago, SLPhopeful1 said:

Those numbers are higher than I'd imagined, actually. I knew it was expensive, but that's a lot!

This is a pretty broad question, but does anyone know if students are usually eligible for scholarships from the faculty? I know it depends on each person, but are there lots of scholarship that SLP grad programs tend to give out?

I mean it was $11000 for 4 semesters for two years, which is cheaper than my undergrad was. I know at the u of a you're automatically entered for scholarships when you apply, and a decent number go out for second years as well. 

1 hour ago, GTob said:

Hey guys,

Dalhousie is more expensive because it is a three-year program (compared to all other 2-year programs in Canada). You can apply to the program with any degree which means there is extra course work, I believe.

15 minutes ago, peachyspeechie said:

At around 2 pm Montreal time! And thanks!! Still pinching myself ahah

Congratulations! I'm wondering if McGill called ALL successful applicants today, so not receiving a call means means waitlist/rejection... Does anyone have insight into whether McGill makes all their calls in one day, or over a couple of days? 

On 3/12/2018 at 12:22 PM, HopefulSpeechie2018 said:

These next few weeks waiting to hear back from Ontario schools will be the death of me. Such a long waiting process! While we wait, what is everyone's top school choice and why? In the unlikely event that I get accepted to multiple schools (wishful thinking), it would be really nice to know what you all think of each program! 

A few more weeks to go! I keep checking ORPAS for some reason even though I know acceptances don't come out until April 3rd. 

My top school choice would probably be U of T, followed by McMaster, and then Western (due to the distance from home). I've heard U of T has a slight adult focus whereas Western is more child oriented. I would eventually love to work with children but U of T appeals to me since I've been in their rehabilitation science building before and the environment looks awesome!

Also, for those of you worried about McMaster not being accredited yet - don't worry! I had the same initial reaction but after speaking to an SLP I work with I learned more about what it actually means to be "accredited". Being accredited basically means that CASLPO (the college of SLPs/AUDs) automatically acknowledges that graduates have completed the program requirements (classes, hours) needed to become an SLP. In the case that McMaster is't accredited yet by the time graduation rolls around, the graduates would have to provide proof to CASLPO that the Mac's curriculum fulfills these requirements. So at the end of the day this isn't really a drawback of the program.

The accreditation process takes long because McMaster is a new program and CASLPO has to ensure that they're on the right track! But given their reputation in the health sciences, I'm sure they're doing everything right.