Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, just_speechie said:

I  couldn't access any classes, only search and plan. The enrollment date says March 21st, and to check with the department, so I guess that's when I can start. It's not a huge rush though, since I'm sure lots of people haven't accepted their offers yet. Have you already enrolled?

Mine is March 21 as well, but I just figured that they needed processing time since I only accepted last week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if anybody had any information on the speech-language pathology praxis exam? Is this an American thing, or does this also apply for students prior to getting certification as an speech-language pathologist in Canada? I.e., does anybody also know if we have to take a test at the end the program or can we automatically get a job? (a.k.a is there such a thing as the 'Bar' exam (law) for speech-language pathology students?). Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SLPdreamer1996 said:

I was wondering if anybody had any information on the speech-language pathology praxis exam? Is this an American thing, or does this also apply for students prior to getting certification as an speech-language pathologist in Canada? I.e., does anybody also know if we have to take a test at the end the program or can we automatically get a job? (a.k.a is there such a thing as the 'Bar' exam (law) for speech-language pathology students?). Thanks :)

Hello! For Canadians, there is the SAC clinical certification exam. It's held twice per year. Whether or not this certification is "required" is dependent on the province you practice in. For example, Alberta does not require SAC certification for one to practice as an SLP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wugwugwug said:

Does anyone know if all of the UBC offers have been sent out?  They're so unclear about deadlines!

I know they sent out initial offers, but am not sure how many. Last years forum showed some people got in on the 31st, so there’s still hope! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody want to add me on Facebook so we can start a group for ualberta slp? Send me a message if you are interested.

Edit: Group is live. Look for "University of Alberta Speech-Language Pathology - Class of 2020"

Edited by kshelton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-03-14 at 2:27 PM, AudG09 said:

Hi!! Based on what Dal's academic timetable has for available spots for enrollment next year I'm going to assume that they have 26 spots for SLP and 13 for Audiology. Back when I was first looking into the school a few years ago (2015 ish?) I remember seeing that during that particular year they got a just over 100 applicants to the School of Human Communication Disorders but they didn't specify which program those applicants had applied for. That being said I haven't been able to find similar information since so that number could be completely irrelevant now. 

 

On 2018-03-14 at 12:36 PM, SLPlease? said:

The last time I heard a number for acceptances to Dal it was in the high 20's - I believe 29. It's definitely one of the smaller programs in Canada.

 

On 2018-03-14 at 12:17 PM, o2018 said:

Does Dal ever release how many applicants they had to their program? Just curious what the numbers look like

26 SLPs and 13 Auds, yeah. This year we heard there were 300 applicants so I guess it’s ramping up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎19 at 2:04 PM, SLPdreamer1996 said:

I was wondering if anybody had any information on the speech-language pathology praxis exam? Is this an American thing, or does this also apply for students prior to getting certification as an speech-language pathologist in Canada? I.e., does anybody also know if we have to take a test at the end the program or can we automatically get a job? (a.k.a is there such a thing as the 'Bar' exam (law) for speech-language pathology students?). Thanks :)

In Canada it's provincially regulated on whether or not you can practice without an exit exam. Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC) is the exam, and to the best of my knowledge it can be written two times a year, once in March and once in September. So basically, certain provinces require you to have passed the SAC exam to be able to practice, and some don't. Our program has had meetings with representatives from SAC to give us information, and our class also has two student representative for SAC.

I would suggest just taking a look around their website: https://www.sac-oac.ca/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SLPlease? said:

In Canada it's provincially regulated on whether or not you can practice without an exit exam. Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC) is the exam, and to the best of my knowledge it can be written two times a year, once in March and once in September. So basically, certain provinces require you to have passed the SAC exam to be able to practice, and some don't. Our program has had meetings with representatives from SAC to give us information, and our class also has two student representative for SAC.

I would suggest just taking a look around their website: https://www.sac-oac.ca/

 

On 3/19/2018 at 9:48 PM, lindzzz said:

Hello! For Canadians, there is the SAC clinical certification exam. It's held twice per year. Whether or not this certification is "required" is dependent on the province you practice in. For example, Alberta does not require SAC certification for one to practice as an SLP. 

I was told by an SLP student that if I finish for example in Ontario, I can't practice elsewhere (if I don't take the SAC exam), is that true? And also, the link provided, I couldn't find the information about which province requires the SAC and which don't :( thanks guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SLPdreamer1996 said:

 

I was told by an SLP student that if I finish for example in Ontario, I can't practice elsewhere (if I don't take the SAC exam), is that true? And also, the link provided, I couldn't find the information about which province requires the SAC and which don't :( thanks guys!

Contact the provinces regulatory body to see what kind of licensing they require.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Im currently in my first year of audiology at Dalhousie accepted off the waitlist. In the first year, audio and SLP have the same classes so feel free to write me a private message if you still have questions.

For those of you who are on their waitlist don’t give up hope but be realistic. Good luck I wish you all the best. I remember being so stressed having to wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SLPhopeful1 said:

Just got an offer of admission to the U of A! I am SUPER relieved after hearing other people get in nearly a month ago. I will definitely be accepting!

 

18 minutes ago, slphopeful101 said:

Hey everyone!

I just got an offer from U of A! I had also applied to McGill, but I was rejected, and Dalhousie, where I was waitlisted. I will be accepting my offer from U of A, so a spot should open up on the waitlist for Dal!

@SLPhopeful1 @slphopeful101 Congrats to you both!! Did you receive an email at your personal account or the UofA email account?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 3:07 AM, GTob said:

Hey guys,

Anybody have any insight on the different costs for different schools? I applied to McGill, Dalhousie, and Alberta, and it seems like Dalhousie is way more expensive than the other two in terms of tuition. 

Dalhousie ~ $35,000 for three years

McGill ~ $19,000 for two years (out of province student)

Alberta ~ $11,000 for two years.

Seems like a pretty wild difference. 

Also, does anyone know when Alberta usually contacts you? McGill should be any time now (mid March)

 

What about UBC? Is it $4896 per year and therefore $9792 for 2 years? Any existing UBC student here who can tell us more?

http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=14,266,773,1450#18012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slp.dreamer said:

 

@SLPhopeful1 @slphopeful101 Congrats to you both!! Did you receive an email at your personal account or the UofA email account?

I am also a U of A student already, but Vicki also emailed my personal email saying I got in. 

Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everybody! 
I got accepted to McGill last week, but it's still pending on UApply. Do other people still have "In Review" that have been accepted or have received official offers? Also, I'm finishing up my last semester of school, and I'm getting a little anxious about what kind of grades I need to finish with. Any ideas on GPA requirements that they'll need us to maintain? Also, super excited to be heading to McGill, it's a big move and I can't wait to meet everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.