Hi everyone! I know there's a 2018 SLP thread that's supposed to be for Canadians already, but it was really convoluted with posts from other countries, so I thought I would make a thread that's explicitly Canadian so that we don't have to worry about sifting through everyone's posts to find what's relevant for us! :)

Applications open up really soon and I'm sure we're all super nervous! It's really nice to have this community to be able to talk about everything SLP-related! Happy applying, friends!

For myself, this is my first time applying. I'm thinking of only applying to the University of Alberta and Dalhousie, though UBC would definitely be at the top of my list if I had the prerequisites. I'm sitting at a GPA of 3.92 (3.89 for ORPAS), with a prereq GPA of 3.84. It's not perfect, but I'm hoping it'll be enough! I also have a couple years worth of heavy research experience for a developmental psycholinguist.

In the other 2018 SLP thread I had mentioned that I don't have a lot of related experience to SLPs, but I'm happy to say that since posting there I've put in over 50 hours (so far) in a couple different speech clinics, working with a variety of age groups. It's been really cool!

Wow! Your stats sound incredible, @SLPhopeful1!

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm sure it will be my salvation as we all stress through the next few months together.

This is my first time applying and I will be applying to UBC, Western, and Alberta. If I calculated it correctly, my subGPA is about 3.94 for ORPAS, though from what I could find, it looks like Alberta is more forgiving in their scaling, and by my best estimate I'm sitting at 3.98. My GRE quantitative score isn't where I'd like it to be, but I'm hoping the rest of my application will balance that out. I've been working in a language learning research lab for a year and this semester I'm working in a discourse analysis lab as well. It's been a great opportunity to see language research from these vastly different approaches! I also have experience volunteering with SLPs in different settings with children and adults (altogether about 170 hours so far), and I've loved every one of them.

My big worry right now is the personal statements/ letters of intent. How do you even fit so much love for a profession and desire to help people into so few words? Luckily there's still some time to work on them.

Just stopped by to say good luck! I'm in my second year at the U of A and loving it :)

As for letters of intent- you're not wrong, they are really difficult! But think of it as a language sample. Really I feel like everyone is saying pretty much the same thing, but focus on communicating it clearly and efficiently. For example, you have a desire to help people- what experiences of yours clearly illustrate this, and what is it about them point to your desire? Hope that helps!

Hi!

It's my first year applying as well. It's really stressful! I am a McGill student currently and applying to McGill, University of Toronto, Western, University of Alberta and Dalhousie, but would love to attend the first two since I am used to big cities!

Have you guys started the application process yet? I currently have a 3.81 undergraduate GPA, and a sub-GPA (10 last classes) of about 3.97. However, my prereq. GPA isn't as good - I would say about 3.7 since linguistics isn't my strongest subject.

I was wondering whether I should mention my scholarships in my letter of intent, the last thing I want to do is to brag and sound snobbish.

Also, I have a decent amount of research experience (completed a thesis) but I'd say minimal when it comes to speech clinics - maybe about 40 hours in total. I've also done a lot of volunteering throughout my undergraduate in various mental health areas.

I was wondering if you guys started using OPRAS - when are you guys planning to send in your transcripts?

I know that most universities want to see the fall 2017 grades, but what if I don't get them on time? I'd rather send in my transcript at the beginning of December to avoid any deadline issues...

Thanks for creating this thread @SLPhopeful1!!

Good luck to everyone applying this year! I'm 3 months into my first year at UofA, and it's been an incredible experience so far! I look forward to meeting some of you next year :)