Library Science Applications Fall 2018

lemur1993

I noticed that no one has started a discussion for this year's application. I don't know if all the potential librarians post on another site or something, but I would love to talk to other people applying for Fall 2018 season.

I am applying to UW-Madison, University of Tennessee, University of Alabama, Texas Woman's University, University of North Carolina Greensboro, University of Oklahoma, and Louisiana State University.

Is anyone else applying there?

I will be completing my first master's in May. It is in English literature. Has anyone heard if having another master's might give an edge when applying for a second? Or does anyone have any info about any of those schools that they would like to share?

I am considering putting together my application for Fall 2018. I am considering completing an online MLIS because I already have my master's degree in education. How do you plan on funding your second master's degree? I borrowed quite a bit the first time around, so I'm hesitant to fund a second expensive master's degree through loans. Personally, I would not worry about getting into the programs. For the most part, admission is not as competitive. 

Edited by catsbloom

Hello!

As @catsbloom noted, MLIS programs aren't as competitive about admissions. Also, this is purely anecdotal, but it'll likely be easier than an English Lit MA. However, funding is very competitive, if available at all. That said, generally, although not always directly through the library school, the University of Oklahoma has several assistantships available in the library proper in a variety of departments. I attend the University of Oklahoma, and I know quite a few people funded through the library.

If you have any specific questions about the University of Oklahoma, you can ask here or pm me, if you like. :) 

On 10/16/2017 at 3:24 PM, catsbloom said:

I am considering putting together my application for Fall 2018. I am considering completing an online MLIS because I already have my master's degree in education. How do you plan on funding your second master's degree? I borrowed quite a bit the first time around, so I'm hesitant to fund a second expensive master's degree through loans. Personally, I would not worry about getting into the programs. For the most part, admission is not as competitive. 

I'm only applying to schools that offer some kind of assistantship, but if I don't get any offers, I'll probably just take out a loan. I have luckily been almost 75% funded so far, so I don't mind going a little more in debt.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing archivist work right now, don't know where the archivists' forum is so I'm here. Applying to University of British Columbia (duel, will prefer MAS to MLIS if it comes down to it, I know, a gamble), University of Washington, McGill, University of Alberta, University of Western Ontario, Nanyang Technological, and University of Hong Kong.

Getting everything thing done before December, except for the Asia schools because they don't open till after Dec 1st.

What is this about MLIS not being competitive? Even so, it's gotta be that McGill and UBC are pretty high up there right?

4 hours ago, villarchives said:

What is this about MLIS not being competitive? Even so, it's gotta be that McGill and UBC are pretty high up there right?

If it's in regards to my earlier statement, I meant that it's not as competitive in admissions as many other disciplines. Really, getting into library school isn't all that difficult, or at least getting into library school somewhere. However, getting funding is incredibly difficult. There's absolutely no comparison to the difficulty of getting into library school compared to something like, for example, psychology. I've read discussions on these boards from hopeful graduate students in psychology who've applied to over a dozen programs for years on end and still haven't received an acceptance. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, GunterFan said:

I was accepted into the PhD program at Emporia State. It's not a Top 20 or anything, but I am currently employed at a Kansas public school and can receive tuition waivers this way. I'm pretty excited!

Congrats! That's so exciting!

I'm applying to Drexel, Long Island University, St. John's, University of Maryland, University of Mass: Boston, Simmons College, Rutgers, and University of Rhode Island. So far I have been accepted to Drexel and LIU, and I'm hoping to hear from Rutgers any day since my final document arrived this past week.

I should have heard back from the University of Washington with their decision today, but instead got this:

“ The MLIS Admissions Committee has reviewed your application. Due to changes in the way that the UW Graduate School is processing applications, we do not yet have an admissions decision for you. As soon as we are able, we will contact you with a decision.”

Anyone else? I’m definitely waiting on pins and needles now...

On 1/11/2018 at 9:10 PM, catsbloom said:

Is anyone familiar with Alabama’s national cohort program? 

I am a little familiar as I know two people who went and applied. What's up?

54 minutes ago, lemur1993 said:

I reached out to a UA MLIS student and they did not recommend the program. I would be part of the online national cohort. I’m curious about other people’s general opinions of the program. Initially I was drawn to Alabama’s program because of the Social Justice and Inclusivity concentration and the thesis option. Alabama’s program is also less expensive than my in-state MLIS option. 

48 minutes ago, lemur1993 said:

Just got accepted to Oklahoma and LSU

Congrats! Do you have a top choice? 

I have applied to UNC Chapel Hill and am working on completing my application for University of North Texas. I heard back from Chapel Hill a few days ago with an acceptance, but it said that funding decisions come later. Is anyone else applying to Chapel Hill or UNT? 

I'm library staff in Illinois I and recently applied to the MLIS degree at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 
Anyone else? 

I think admissions decisions are around Feb. 24th...

Also, anyone want to chat about scholarships/masters funding?

I'm absolutely NOT going into debt for MLIS, maybe fewer courses and longer to complete, but hopefully get work reimbursement and scholarships.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:47 AM, lemur1993 said:

I'm applying to Alabama's on campus program. Were your friends on campus students or online? 

Has anyone else gotten their decision for McGill's Information Studies Program yet? I got accepted because I submitted my app on the faux deadline (Jan 15th) and have until Feb 15 to decide (the actual deadline). Anyone else in the same boat?

On 10/13/2017 at 4:46 PM, lemur1993 said:

I noticed that no one has started a discussion for this year's application. I don't know if all the potential librarians post on another site or something, but I would love to talk to other people applying for Fall 2018 season.

So where *do* all future librarians gather and post?

I've applied to UBC, if it's a no I'll try the UWO winter intake. I may have relied too much on everyone's characterization of library schools as not very selective. But the die is cast now!

It may not apply to the unis you are applying to, lemur1993, but at UBC they told me that any indication of ability to succeed in graduate studies is valued highly. A completed MA signals that you can probably do it again!

Good luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 8:20 PM, Vallhala said:

@villarchives same exact boat; but I’d rather go to U of T and I’m worried I won’t hear back from them in time. Do you think McGill would grant us an extension for decision?

I didn't bet on it, I'm waiting on UBC but they don't send out their decisions before March, looks like. I just bit the bullet and accepted McGill's offer. Accepting isn't like legally binding as far as I know, if UBC takes me I may very well not do McGill's program. The $300 deposit is a real gouger but I'm not going to do what I did in my undergrad and stay with one program just because I already payed a deposit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got into UBC's Dual Program. Should I just accept right away or should I stay with McGill's program? Anyone currently in either McGill's program or UBC's Dual program that can help me out here?