Library Science Applications Fall 2018

lemur1993

On 3/7/2018 at 7:24 PM, villarchives said:

Well, got into UBC's Dual Program. Should I just accept right away or should I stay with McGill's program? Anyone currently in either McGill's program or UBC's Dual program that can help me out here?

Is cost a factor? Do you think you would prefer to live in one province over the other?

• 2 weeks later...

I totally forgot about this thread while finishing my current master's defense over the last few months lol

I got into University of Alabama (graduate assistant offer and half funding), University of Wisconsin, LSU, and the University of Oklahoma!

On 1/28/2018 at 9:49 PM, Peg said:

I'm applying to Alabama's on campus program. Were your friends on campus students or online? 

I was friends with online campus students. They already had jobs. My friend John is employed at a community college as a librarian now so it treated him well.

On 3/23/2018 at 9:39 AM, catsbloom said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear about their admissions decision? 

I just got back a few today and replied to your earlier comment! I forgot about this forum for a while. Did you apply to Alabama? I have heard good things from my friends (all three are now employed at libraries)

On 3/24/2018 at 10:10 PM, lemur1993 said:

I just got back a few today and replied to your earlier comment! I forgot about this forum for a while. Did you apply to Alabama? I have heard good things from my friends (all three are now employed at libraries)

I did! I reached out to someone in the program and I was told that online students should hear back after April 1st. Hopefully I will know in 2-3 weeks!

12 hours ago, catsbloom said:

I did! I reached out to someone in the program and I was told that online students should hear back after April 1st. Hopefully I will know in 2-3 weeks!

Awesome! Good luck! I think I will accept my admission there soon, just waiting to see if I for sure want to move there.

On 2/6/2018 at 5:43 PM, Tortilla de Zanahoria said:

So where *do* all future librarians gather and post?

I've applied to UBC, if it's a no I'll try the UWO winter intake. I may have relied too much on everyone's characterization of library schools as not very selective. But the die is cast now!

It may not apply to the unis you are applying to, lemur1993, but at UBC they told me that any indication of ability to succeed in graduate studies is valued highly. A completed MA signals that you can probably do it again!

Good luck to everyone!

You were right. I was 15/200 people to get a GAship! Feeling lucky

I found this forum a few weeks ago, forgot about it, and here I am again with an account! I'm more interested in archives than librarianship, but I haven't found another forum for archives...I'm sad this forum isn't super active either since I'd like to connect with other LIS and archives students! 

Anyways, I applied to four programs: History MA/Archives MS at Simmons (accepted), MI with a concentration in archives at Rutgers (accepted), Archives and Records Management at University of Liverpool (no response yet), and Archives and Records Management at University College Dublin (accepted- I think). I'm also fresh out of undergrad - I finished my Bachelor's in February. 

Edited by francoise

6 hours ago, Keyjennic said:

I applied for online Masters at University of Alabama. I already have a full time job at a public library and hoping to be accepted.

It looks like people found out April 9-April 12 last year so hopefully we will know by next week!

I did not. I will be a returning adult student with a son entering college in the fall as well. UA was in my price range for online students. Its been 20 years since I left undergrad and this is a huge step for me. The thing I'm concerned about is my undergrad was a 2.82, but with me experience (9 years at the same library) and my MAT score (423), I'm hoping they will take that into consideration.

14 hours ago, Keyjennic said:

I did not. I will be a returning adult student with a son entering college in the fall as well. UA was in my price range for online students. Its been 20 years since I left undergrad and this is a huge step for me. The thing I'm concerned about is my undergrad was a 2.82, but with me experience (9 years at the same library) and my MAT score (423), I'm hoping they will take that into consideration.

Good luck! I only applied to the Alabama program as well. I'm currently working at an academic library and I did not want to leave my current position. Alabama's online program seemed to be one of the most cost effective programs. I already have my MSED so I wanted to minimize any additional student loan debt. I just wish they were a little speedier with admissions notifications. I didn't realize the program waited until after April 1 to review applications. It's getting late in the admissions cycle to apply to a back up program. 

On 4/6/2018 at 8:08 AM, catsbloom said:

Good luck! I only applied to the Alabama program as well. I'm currently working at an academic library and I did not want to leave my current position. Alabama's online program seemed to be one of the most cost effective programs. I already have my MSED so I wanted to minimize any additional student loan debt. I just wish they were a little speedier with admissions notifications. I didn't realize the program waited until after April 1 to review applications. It's getting late in the admissions cycle to apply to a back up program. 

It's crazy that they wait so late to review applications when admission decisions are due by April 15th! Have you heard back yet?

17 hours ago, lemur1993 said:

It's crazy that they wait so late to review applications when admission decisions are due by April 15th! Have you heard back yet?

STILL Nothing. It's getting down to the wire considering that April 15th is a fairly universal deadline. 

43 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

STILL Nothing. It's getting down to the wire considering that April 15th is a fairly universal deadline. 

I have an acquaintance who hasn't heard back either. I guess the sheer number of applicants might slow them down, but still. 

Hi, all! I just came across this forum while scouring the interwebs, freaking out about not hearing anything back from UA yet. From what a couple of ya'll have said, *hopefully* we will hear something back this week. It's driving me crazy!

1 hour ago, iCats said:

Hi, all! I just came across this forum while scouring the interwebs, freaking out about not hearing anything back from UA yet. From what a couple of ya'll have said, *hopefully* we will hear something back this week. It's driving me crazy!

Welcome to the unofficial UA waiting party! :lol:

47 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

@Keyjennic - Have you reached out to admissions recently? I really hope that they notify us before April 15th. You would think they would want to notify us before then because some people will need to choose between multiple offers. 

I have not. I'm about to though. I really need to know.

5 minutes ago, Keyjennic said:

I have not. I'm about to though. I really need to know.

Please post an update! I don’t want to be rude, but this is really ridiculous. Every other program notifies by April 15. 

2 hours ago, catsbloom said:

Please post an update! I don’t want to be rude, but this is really ridiculous. Every other program notifies by April 15. 

I have been swamped at work today. My director is heading out of town the rest of the week and I've been taking care of things. It might have to wait until tomorrow.