Calling all Environmental Management (MEM) Applicants - 2018

sid7395

5 hours ago, travelwonder said:

I have no idea.... It's my first choice but it seems super hard to get into.. From looking at previous forums, I can't tell if we're supposed to get interviewed or not. Do you have any idea?

No idea about the interviews. But I emailed them and they said results will be out by first week of March but maybe sooner.....which has always been the official line so not useful information I guess.

On 1/31/2018 at 2:47 PM, ani11 said:

No idea about the interviews. But I emailed them and they said results will be out by first week of March but maybe sooner.....which has always been the official line so not useful information I guess.

Hi! According to the results page a Masters applicant got an interview on the 31st... Was that you? Do you think if we didn't get an interview, then thats it?

Does anyone know when are we going to hear back from Yale and how competitive is admission?

Yale has always been my dream school but I have an extremely low GRE and I applied straight out of undergraduate.... 

Hello,

I applied to Master's/PhD track for Berkeley ERG, had an interview on 1/30, and was accepted to the combined track on 2/6. They mentioned that they are still finalizing their list and plan to send decisions out approximately the last week of February.

I was also accepted to Carnegie Mellon EPP on 1/18, though I don't know anything about their timeline for sending out the rest of decisions.

Hopefully that is helpful, let me know if anyone has questions.

I just heard from the Associate Dean (whose name is also Dean?) at Duke MEM. I think I'm conditionally accepted? I was told that I was not a good fit for the concentration I selected (Environmental Health) but that I could be admitted if I instead notified them if I would like to switch to the Ecosystem Science concentration. 

Edited by laekkauai
wrong info on dean

23 minutes ago, laekkauai said:

I just heard from the Associate Dean (whose name is also Dean?) at Duke MEM. I think I'm conditionally accepted? I was told that I was not a good fit for the concentration I selected (Environmental Health) but that I could be admitted if I instead notified them if I would like to switch to the Ecosystem Science concentration. 

I also got into Duke! I think I'm waitlisted for the MBA portion, but into the Nicholas School! 

On 2/10/2018 at 10:30 AM, gecs-ams said:

Hello,

I applied to Master's/PhD track for Berkeley ERG, had an interview on 1/30, and was accepted to the combined track on 2/6. They mentioned that they are still finalizing their list and plan to send decisions out approximately the last week of February.

I was also accepted to Carnegie Mellon EPP on 1/18, though I don't know anything about their timeline for sending out the rest of decisions.

Hopefully that is helpful, let me know if anyone has questions.

Hi there, Thanks for letting us know! Do you know if everybody who gets accepted for the Masters degree gets interviewed, or was that because you applied to the PhD track? Congratulations on your acceptance!! 

27 minutes ago, travelwonder said:

I also got into Duke! I think I'm waitlisted for the MBA portion, but into the Nicholas School! 

Congrats, now you have a few options! It's a relief to hear back from at least one of the programs... i'm still waiting on the others. 

22 hours ago, travelwonder said:

Hi there, Thanks for letting us know! Do you know if everybody who gets accepted for the Masters degree gets interviewed, or was that because you applied to the PhD track? Congratulations on your acceptance!! 

Don't read too much into this (its not over until its over, right?), but during my interview I got the impression that they were interviewing everyone on their 'shortlist' for the ERG program as a whole. In any case, I think you should hear back in the next week or so. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to see fellow environmental applicants! I might be wrong, but I think we could hear back from Yale in the next 2 weeks or so. I’m basing this info off of the email I received when I submitted my application, which said that “all admissions decisions will be released the first week of March.” Financial aid decisions won’t be available until mid-March, though. I applied to Yale's MEM program, just to clarify.

Last year it looks like decisions went out March 3rd. So maybe this Friday, March 2nd...? Fingers crossed!

To those who applied to MEM programs, I'm just realizing this now as I'm looking closer at Duke, but it's a professional degree.

I already have a professional degree in planning. Do you think a professional degree in environmental management will not have the same weight/rigor as a Masters of Science in Environmental Science?

I thought I'd add my programs applied and results:

UCSB Bren MESM - waiting on decision (someone posted a result on March 3, 2018 for MESM so looks like a decision is imminent) 

UC Boulder MENV - Accepted (Feb 26)

The New School MS Enviro Policy/Sustainability Mgmt - waiting on decision 

BARD College MA in Climate Science/Policy - Accepted (Feb 7)

George Washington University MA in Enviro Resource Policy - Accepted (Feb 14)

At this point just waiting on a decision from Bren before making a decision. Between Bren and GW for me.

Here are my results so far:

UCSB Bren MESM: waiting to hear back

UC Boulder MENV : accepted

Duke Nicholas School+ concurrent MBA: Accepted to Nicholas School

UC San Diego MPP in environmental policy: accepted

University of Washington MPA in environmental policy: accepted 

Yale FES: rejected 

Berkeley ERG: rejected 

Oxford MSc in Water Management: waiting to hear back

Columbia SIPA ESP: accepted

I applied to a lot of schools... It's between, Bren, UW, Duke and Columbia for now... I havent heard on funding for anything except UW... Hoping to hear back from Bren soon! 

Just wanted to post progress and ask about what other people are seeing- 

accepted to duke, Yale, UCSB, and UMich for their MEM programs. 

Heard today about merit from Duke. Anyone else hear back from them, or not hear back? My friend who was also accepted hasn’t heard anything yet. 

Yale financial info is supposed to come tomorrow. 

Just loans from mich, and idk what the deal is for Bren. 

What I would be really curious to know about is if/when people hear from Duke about financials. (Friend is obviously nervous). 

6 minutes ago, hotmack said:

Heard today about merit from Duke. Anyone else hear back from them, or not hear back? My friend who was also accepted hasn’t heard anything yet. 

What I would be really curious to know about is if/when people hear from Duke about financials. (Friend is obviously nervous). 

Accepted to: Duke, Indiana

Waiting: Stanford (Engineering)

@hotmackI just heard back from Duke Financial Aid office today as well. 

Edited by laekkauai

40 minutes ago, hotmack said:

Congrats for your acceptances! I heard back from Duke merit today as well. It seems like the rest of the financial aid like work study comes a little later. For Bren, it seems that we'll get the official acceptance letter next week, so I'm assuming we'll know then for Bren. 

6 hours ago, hotmack said:

Congrats on your acceptances! I'm curious to know what your thoughts are between the four programs... dare I ask which one you're leaning towards?

3 hours ago, moolo123 said:

Schools I applied to:

UCSB's Bren - Accepted 15,000 funding 

UW's SMEA - Accepted but no funding

Leaning towards Bren. 

Hi There! Can I ask when did you get your official Bren letter/funding? In my accepted email, they mentioned next week for the official letter and funding..

Thanks all and congrats to everyone as well. As for how I'm leaning, the best advice I've had is to consider where you will make the most friends since that will be your network. And of course, money. As far as quality of the program goes, it matters less in grad school because you're they're only 2 years (for a masters) and it's more about getting a job than an education. I kind of disagree that last bit especially in degrees like the MEM but thought it was a perspective worth mentioning.  

If money were not a factor it would probably be Yale because they seem to have a lot of amazing opportunities there, but I'm also not sure how I would fit in with the culture so it's really a toss up between Yale and Duke. I got about 1/2 tuition from Duke plus assistantship, and I called Yale and apparently they forgot about me for aid! So still waiting to hear back.  

On 3/15/2018 at 12:06 PM, travelwonder said:

Hi There! Can I ask when did you get your official Bren letter/funding? In my accepted email, they mentioned next week for the official letter and funding..

I got invited to the accepted students day on 3/13/18 and then I got my official acceptance and funding offer on 3/14/18. I was pretty surprised to hear back a day later because in my accepted students day email it also said next week. 

5 hours ago, hotmack said:

Thanks all and congrats to everyone as well. As for how I'm leaning, the best advice I've had is to consider where you will make the most friends since that will be your network. And of course, money. As far as quality of the program goes, it matters less in grad school because you're they're only 2 years (for a masters) and it's more about getting a job than an education. I kind of disagree that last bit especially in degrees like the MEM but thought it was a perspective worth mentioning.  

If money were not a factor it would probably be Yale because they seem to have a lot of amazing opportunities there, but I'm also not sure how I would fit in with the culture so it's really a toss up between Yale and Duke. I got about 1/2 tuition from Duke plus assistantship, and I called Yale and apparently they forgot about me for aid! So still waiting to hear back.  

I'd agree with the advice on networking and money. This is my second go-around for a masters (due to career change). The network i gained from my masters in planning is actually quite valuable. It was never even a question when I had first applied, since my only naive goal was to move home so I only applied to the one program, but its proven to be very helpful. I'd also disagree on the job vs education; I think you should look carefully at the course offerings, descriptions, and outputs to be sure that it's the technical skills you want for your intended career path. I think I made the mistake of taking too many theoretical/soft skills courses, when technical skills are extremely valuable and less likely to be taught on the job. And lastly, now that I'm older and married, money, cost of living, and culture are definitely the most important factors of making the decision for me. I think academics are important, but if all options are pretty much similar in rigor,  I would go for the those three as the top priorities. Congrats to everyone on their next steps!

Edited by laekkauai