2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

zam330

Little late to this party, but in case this will help anyone in the future!

Undergrad Institution: University of North Carolina Wilmington
Major(s): Marine Biology- Conservation concentration
Minor(s): Psychology, neuroscience
GPA in Major: 3.8
Overall GPA: 3.803
Position in Class: No idea, probably close to top?
Type of Student: International, female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 154
V: 155
W: 4.5

Research Experience: Conducted field research on Diamondback Terrapins in the Marine Biology department over the course of senior year culminating in a senior thesis paper and defense; Studied short-term learning and long-term learning and impacts at a marine science camp run by Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve VA in summer 2017

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: NOAA Hollings Scholar, University Honors, Departmental Honors in Biology and Marine Biology, Quarterman-Keever Award through Ecological Society, several recognitions for oral presentations on my education research

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Desk Receptionist in a freshmen residence hall, research ambassador, mentored freshmen honors students for two years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Member of the education committee for Plastic Ocean Project

Special Bonus Points: When I mentored honors students, I was working for the Honors College Director and she wrote one of my recommendations

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I worked in the education department of an NC Aquarium for two summers leading paid programming. 

Applying to Where:

UNCW - Environmental Studies - Environmental Education and Interpretation

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to those who are offered admission and planning to attend your their respective grad schools this fall!

I'm just curious if any of you still have got universities that haven't got back to you? U of Oklahoma and U of Western Ontario still haven't reply me; could it be due to their mismanagement that they forgot to reply? It's weird.

Edited by dataseis

6 hours ago, dataseis said:

Congrats to those who are offered admission and planning to attend your their respective grad schools this fall!

I'm just curious if any of you still have got universities that haven't got back to you? U of Oklahoma and U of Western Ontario still haven't reply me; could it be due to their mismanagement that they forgot to reply? It's weird.

I still haven't heard anything from Louisiana State, Oklahoma State, or Texas A&M. Texas A&M did tell me a couple weeks ago they were still making offers and would do so up until May 31st. As for OU I received a rejection from them back in early March.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Bodhicaryavatara said:

Undergrad Institution: Agnes Scott College
Major(s): Sociology and Anthropology
Minor(s): Spanish
GPA in Major: 3.92
Overall GPA: 3.82
Position in Class: Top 10%
Type of Student: Domestic, Female, Asian, have FT work experience before grad school

GRE Scores (revised/old version): This requirement was waived because I have a JD and scored a 164 (above 90th %ile) on the LSAT
Q:
V:
W:
B:

TOEFL Total: N/A

Research Experience: Selected to present my original anthropological research at four regional conferences; received the 1st Place Undergraduate Paper Award for one of them

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Phi Beta Kappa, Theta Alpha Kappa, Mortar Board, various bar association fellowships/scholarships, Pro Bono Outstanding Honors, Hubert Scholars Program, and lots more!

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 2-time AmeriCorps alumna, non-profit and NGO work (including abroad)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Musician

Special Bonus Points: Female and minority and disabled

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Crap law school GPA

Applying to Where:

Columbia University, Master of Arts in South Asian Studies -> ACCEPTED with $10K + FLAS, attending! 

If you have any questions, AMA!

Could you say more about your transition from sociology/anthropology to law to earth sciences?

• 1 month later...

hello, congratulations to fall2018 applicants who got their choice .

pls does anyone know of Upenn environmental science masters program? like gre scores? gpa? acceptance rate? i want to apply for spring 2019.