Jump to content

2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results


Recommended Posts

@meghan_paleoclimate I've been accepted to OSU about a week ago. Seems like the process is going on. 

 

By the way, is there a reorganization of policy going on in the States? I hear a lot of POIs saying "I'm sorry, we're still waiting on the fund" or would it just be a polite way of rejecting me :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received an official letter from Princeton and unofficial ones from Columbia and UW. 

Hey alabama23, I don't know anything about waitlists but I do have a question for you. Do have any knowledge of when Columbia Earth and Environmental Sciences will start to release admissions decision

Hey,    I'm one of the admitted Columbia EES students. A PI I didn't list on my application contacted me via email in late January and we had a Skype interview.  It sounds like they mig

On 19/02/2018 at 11:36 PM, alpha1002 said:

Thank you! 

Sorry I did not make myself clear. I apply for a new POI studying the hydroclimatology, climate dynamics, etc. I believe he is not the POI you contacted :).

We had a short meeting at the January AMS annual meeting. I guess that's why I got an offer in the early February.

 

Thank you for your reply! (:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Received rejection from U Washington Atmospheric Sci as well as post-interview acceptance to Stanford ESS this week. Also, informal rejection from Columbia EES/LDEO after reaching out to POI. He said he will not be taking new students this year because the department can only accept a limited total number of students each year and they decided to let younger faculty who are growing their labs have priority in recruiting students. 

I'm happy to have 5 programs to choose from!

Edited by surface4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Recieved contact from University of Washington Oceanography and Columbia that I am currently on the waitlist for both programs. 

 

Currently 3 waitlists for 3 schools! Hopefully something works out!

Edited by alabama23
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, surface4 said:

Received rejection from U Washington Atmospheric Sci as well as post-interview acceptance to Stanford ESS this week. Also, informal rejection from Columbia EES/LDEO after reaching out to POI. He said he will not be taking new students this year because the department can only accept a limited total number of students each year and they decided to let younger faculty who are growing their labs have priority in recruiting students. 

I'm happy to have 5 programs to choose from!

Congratulations on those acceptances, I'm sure you'll find one you're happy with!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2018 at 10:07 PM, meghan_paleoclimate said:

I'm still waiting on them too. They are having major funding problems this year but it would be a great program join! I definitely can't swing it without funding though

If you hear anything can you let me know? I’m also waiting on UW Madison. At this point I just want to hear something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Updates with a question stapled on the end. Baylor U and Tulane U have sent out initial offers for applicants. No word from UTK and ULL (whose application deadline just passed, so they are probably just starting things). I have an Earth Sciences friend looking at Brigham Young and Utah, has anyone heard work on those geology depts.? Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2018 at 3:19 AM, alabama23 said:

Recieved contact from University of Washington Oceanography and Columbia that I am currently on the waitlist for both programs. 

 

Currently 3 waitlists for 3 schools! Hopefully something works out!

For those who've got wait listed, is it an official letter or an email from POI???

Also looking for further life signals from Columbia/MIT/Brown/Purdue/Penn State/Georgia Tech.... XD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

Has anyone heard back from GaTech/Brown?

I'm thinking if I should email them this coming week to ask about the progress of my application as I have one school that requires me to give a reply ASAP as I'm currently given funding that would go to someone else if I choose to reject the school. 

However, I told myself that I would only decide once either school gets back to me due to some personal reasons. But I am afraid that if I push, they may very well reject me instead? Anyway, it's this late into the game. Should I expect total rejections from my last 3 schools? 

 

Thanks for any advice!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geoundergrad said:

is it a bad thing I haven't heard anything from any of the schools I applied to yet? feel like it's getting really late in the process to hear nothing

I recently talked to one of my professors about this kind of thing, she said that students that have not heard back are not necessarily in a bad place. It will mostly depend on the types of schools you applied to. In general, R1 schools have mostly sent out offers, they aim to get their first picks and are in competition with other R1 schools. R2 and below are still pretty much game. There are other factors that contribute to the decision making process, including school size, funding, etc.. Of course, this is pretty broad. If you are in contact with your POI you may want to contact them for a brief check-in by the end of the week. Any others in the forum got any thoughts on this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 1:32 PM, geoundergrad said:

is it a bad thing I haven't heard anything from any of the schools I applied to yet? feel like it's getting really late in the process to hear nothing

 

On 3/12/2018 at 3:43 PM, TheClasyWaggon said:

I recently talked to one of my professors about this kind of thing, she said that students that have not heard back are not necessarily in a bad place. It will mostly depend on the types of schools you applied to. In general, R1 schools have mostly sent out offers, they aim to get their first picks and are in competition with other R1 schools. R2 and below are still pretty much game. There are other factors that contribute to the decision making process, including school size, funding, etc.. Of course, this is pretty broad. If you are in contact with your POI you may want to contact them for a brief check-in by the end of the week. Any others in the forum got any thoughts on this?

Depends on the program. In general, it means you are on at least an unofficial waitlist, they don't want to drop you just yet but they don't have the slots for you. I know of some universities waiting until April 15th to send rejections while others are a little less insidious and are honestly trying to see if someone is rejecting their offer. One case I know is a guy who was accepted in early on but wasn't told until April because they forgot to tell him! Email professors and see where you are at, better to know now and at least show some interest in their program, that's how I just learned I am waitlisted at Baylor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2018 at 8:02 AM, dataseis said:

Has anyone heard back from University of Oklahoma?

Yes, I heard back on 27/02/2018. I was rejected. Wanted to work with Dr Nori.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.