What happend to the Test Magic???

italos

The stress people are apparently feeling over this compels me to ask: for those of us who have no idea what this means, what is Test Magic? :huh:

Test Magic? Only the most glorious of sites!

Neurotic economics PhD applicants the world over used the forums at Test Magic to track admissions decisions by grad schools, make public their information about economics grad school, and vent their anxieties about their futures.

I think this is a good summary - I've only been using for about three weeks.

Edited by eigenman

On the one hand, I was a lot more productive yesterday without TM. On the other, of all times to go down, this is probably the worst! (Or the best, I guess, depending upon how you see it...)

Yesterday was sunday!! Does being productive, in this case, means watching more TV? If so, I was more productive as well wink.gif

Gradcafe aint bad either. Lets build our capital on gradcafe till TM gets back to life. Later we shall b able to link/transfer our posts on TM. But lets not lose the records, and save the prospectives from dying in oblivion! ;)

The test magic forums are being relocated to another server. They could not handle the traffic we imposed on them. I read this on TM website last night. The message isnt there anymore and I have no other information. This is a really bad time for this to happen too..

UPDATE: Pasted From Website

gap.gif

gap.gif

sponsored.gif

gap.gif

gap.gif

http://www.urch.com/forums

The TestMagic forums have moved to a new server. You should be redirected there shortly.

As you may know, the forum was simply too busy for the old server, and our host would not allow us to run the forums any longer.

We plan to move back in a few weeks or so, but for now, please remember the new URL.

Edited by EconDev137

The test magic forums are being relocated to another server. They could not handle the traffic we imposed on them. I read this on TM website last night. The message isnt there anymore and I have no other information. This is a really bad time for this to happen too..

UPDATE: Pasted From Website

gap.gif

gap.gif

sponsored.gif

gap.gif

gap.gif

http://www.urch.com/forums

The TestMagic forums have moved to a new server. You should be redirected there shortly.

As you may know, the forum was simply too busy for the old server, and our host would not allow us to run the forums any longer.

We plan to move back in a few weeks or so, but for now, please remember the new URL.

I am not getting any kind of redirect... are the forums back up? What's the new URL?

I don't get a redirect either. The link just goes to the old site, which is down. It's very frustrating.

I believe that EconDev137's post is incorrect. The above posting on testmagic.com refers to the time (a couple years back I believe) when the TestMagic forums moved from testmagic.com to urch.com.

To my knowledge, there has been no statement about the current outage.

[uPDATE: corrected user name]

Edited by ilikefreefood

I don't get a redirect either. The link just goes to the old site, which is down. It's very frustrating.

I think the redirect message is from last year or so, back when the site first crashed under the testmagic domain. Then they posted that message saying the new url is urch.com (at the top of the message). Which explains why it's linked to the site that just crashed. Effectively, there are no real news or notices on yesterday's crash...

[EDIT: concur with above post]

Edited by mj7

I think the redirect message is from last year or so, back when the site first crashed under the testmagic domain. Then they posted that message saying the new url is urch.com (at the top of the message). Which explains why it's linked to the site that just crashed. Effectively, there are no real news or notices on yesterday's crash...

[EDIT: concur with above post]

Sorry for the misinformation. I hope TM comes back soon.

Hi guys;

I emailed and asked them what is going on with the forum and they replied me as follow:

Hi there. Thank you for contacting TestMagic about our forums. Unfortunately, they are 'down' right now, meaning they are not functioning. The site had a hard-drive failure, meaning we need to rebuild the entire forum. With luck, we will be finished within a few hours, but it's appearing more likely that it will be longer, perhaps a day or two, before the forums are up and running again.

I apologize for the downtime and am working as hard as I can to get them up and running.

Best regards,

Erin

--

Erin Billy

Founder and Director

TestMagic - www.testmagic.com · 1722 Irving Street · San Francisco CA 94122 · USA

· Tel 415.665.6988 · Fax 415.665.6077

The site had a hard-drive failure, meaning we need to rebuild the entire forum. With luck, we will be finished within a few hours, but it's appearing more likely that it will be longer, perhaps a day or two, before the forums are up and running again.

Hard drive failure... no backup? Ouch. :blink:

from the facebook group

Post #1

TestMagic wroteabout an hour ago

I'm working on getting them back up; the hard drive failed, and we're working to get the data off of that drive. What a drag.

- Erin

Post #2

Paula Schinteie wroteabout an hour ago

i was deperately hitting my TM button in the favorites bar and wondering why it does not work!!! i hope the forum will be back soon.

thanks for the great job!

:)

Post #3

TestMagic wrote52 minutes ago

Hi, Paula. Thanks for the support. I've got the techs working on it, but from what they've told me, it's not looking good.

-Erin

Why has life been stuck in the slow lane on this forum? I promise to limit my F5ing to once every 30 mins if they'll let us back onto TM. Can we settle on a cooperative solution so that first half of alphabet F5 on the hour and the other half on the half hour (or smaller subsets in shorter intervals if this reduces Pr(crash)), or are we stuck in the PD "bad" outcome?

Why has life been stuck in the slow lane on this forum? I promise to limit my F5ing to once every 30 mins if they'll let us back onto TM. Can we settle on a cooperative solution so that first half of alphabet F5 on the hour and the other half on the half hour (or smaller subsets in shorter intervals if this reduces Pr(crash)), or are we stuck in the PD "bad" outcome?

That would never work. Nash equilibrium (or perhaps rational addiction is a better model.)

I just got a reply from Erin to my email

Hi, Italos.

No, no news yet, unfortunately. I might be able to get the forums back up today, but I'm not hopeful about recovering the all of the data.<br clear="all">--

Erin Billy

Founder and Director