Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

Hello everyone! 

I'm going through the application process. 2 universities in the USA down, and 3 more abroad (University of Groningen in the Netherlands, and University of Sydney, and University of Melbourne). all of the programs that I'm applying for are in the development field. The waiting game is awful and I feel like I've been out of it since I was applying for University ages ago >< Anxious doesn't even begin to cut it but I'm chugging along and hoping for the best.

Good luck to everyone else in the same boat!!! :D

On 1/14/2018 at 1:27 AM, bluebird8 said:

I just got my first interview invitation last night!!! I'm so happy I heard from somewhere. But now I'm expecting to hear back from other schools this upcoming week, and I don't want to commit to going to this interview if the interview for my top choice is the same weekend. Does anyone know if the other schools I applied to have an interview weekend Feb 22-24 (schools are in my signature)? If not, how long do I wait to accept this interview invitation and if I need to respond very soon, how do I go about telling him I am still very interested but want to make sure there are no conflicts? The last thing I want to do is accept this invitation and then have my top choice contact me and tell me their interview weekend is the same.

I know Michigan has sent out a number of interview invitations. I assume they are done sending but I might be wrong. I applied to IU-Bloomington as well. Haven't seen any activity so far

11 hours ago, loffire said:

I know Michigan has sent out a number of interview invitations. I assume they are done sending but I might be wrong. I applied to IU-Bloomington as well. Haven't seen any activity so far

Yeah I'm treating my Michigan application as a rejection because I noticed they have already sent out a lot of invites. I know someone personally who got an interview at IU-Bloomington, but I have not seen much activity at all so it looks like they are still making decisions. My POI from IUB told me I would hear back by mid-January, so I'm thinking this might be the week.

Just had a meeting with POI today and she said although I am a strong candidate and she liked my CV, she was not able to give me an offer because I am an international students with limited funding and she was cross-appointed.

I have been crying in the past few hours hoping I would fall asleep after I feel tired but I am still awake.

37 minutes ago, Ahri_ss said:

Just had a meeting with POI today and she said although I am a strong candidate and she liked my CV, she was not able to give me an offer because I am an international students with limited funding and she was cross-appointed.

I have been crying in the past few hours hoping I would fall asleep after I feel tired but I am still awake.

Sorry to hear that! what were you applying for??

2 hours ago, Ahri_ss said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you get something from one of your other choices :)

I am an international applicant for PhD program of stat/biostat. This is just another ordinary day of losing sleep - 4:30 am now :-( 

biostat: Rochester, SMU, UT Health GSBS, Vanderbilt, CRWU, PSU

stat: TAMU, ISU, WUSTL, SFU

I am really tired and anxious now. I cannot tell my parents about my terrible feelings 'cause they would only make me feel worse by nagging. I have not received any interview - this makes me depressed. I regret getting such low GPA and wasting a lot of time.

I am still struggling. Finger crossed.

1 hour ago, jensenabyss said:

I am an international applicant for PhD program of stat/biostat. This is just another ordinary day of losing sleep - 4:30 am now :-( 

I am really tired and anxious now. I cannot tell my parents about my terrible feelings 'cause they would only make me feel worse by nagging. I have not received any interview - this makes me depressed. I regret getting such low GPA and wasting a lot of time.

I am still struggling. Finger crossed.

I don't think interviews or results are out yet for international applicants (not currently in the US)  yet at any of those places.   The app season is still young for stats/biostats so don't lose hope yet. 

4 hours ago, jensenabyss said:

I am really tired and anxious now.

I'm not sure about the biostat, but CWRU's stat (Math department) seems to have a tradition of sending out offers after April...

And I have trouble falling asleep these days, too. Really sad about it.

Submitted my last app on Sunday (1/14)! Keep checking my email anyways!

Applied to:

CU Boulder

U Wyoming

U Utah

Montana State 

Met with potential professor from one of those schools at a big conference I was presenting at, so I'm really hoping that made a good impression! Fingers crossed and good luck to all y'all too! 

13 hours ago, PhD_hopeful_ said:

Thanks! What direction you taking now?

I want to go into bioanalytical specifically with LC-MS in the biotech environment. I've been out of school for six years now so it's narrowed down my view haha.

33 minutes ago, singinglupines said:

I want to go into bioanalytical specifically with LC-MS in the biotech environment. I've been out of school for six years now so it's narrowed down my view haha.

Sounds interesting indeed.  My graduate degree was biotech in nature and I totally enjoyed working with LC-MS.  I guess we are working in the reverse of each other lol.  Me starting out in biotech and moving to forensic and you starting in forensic and moving into biotech.  Hahaha!  

14 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

Is it bad that I feel jealous & sad that other people are getting news and I'm here still waiting? 

I mean, no? I'm in the same boat as you. Haven't heard anything. I feel that same mixture of jealousy and sadness, but I'm also glad for everyone who's been accepted... and certainly empathize with everyone who's been rejected, as I fear that will also be my fate.

I sometimes wonder if my dreams of doctoral study are a mere delusion, if I'm not actually suited for the work, if I'm not intelligent enough for grad school, let alone intelligent enough to recognize it. But I'd regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't at least try. If it doesn't work out, someday I can look back on my life and say, "I gave it a shot, I tried my best." And if I don't make it in this year I'll give it another go for next season. Failing that, I'll take the hint, and move on. 

5 minutes ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Any humanities applicants have heard anything yet?

Purdue contacted me for clarification of something on my application. Looking at the results search dates from previous years, the bulk of humanities announcements seem to come between the last week of January and the first week of March. This waiting... It's driving me crazy.

Edited by ElvisShrugged

2 minutes ago, ElvisShrugged said:

Purdue contacted me for clarification of something on my application. Looking at the results search dates from previous years, the bulk of humanities announcements seem to come between the last week of January and the first week of March. It's driving me crazy.

I know right? I check my email like a hundred times a day and nothing. But yes next week something should come up I hope.

I haven't heard anything from Minnesota, but others have heard that results will be out next week.  I'm crossing everything crossable, though it's just hit me that my whole life path could change next week.  I need a drink.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:31 AM, voaku said:

Submitted my last app on Sunday (1/14)! Keep checking my email anyways!

Applied to:

CU Boulder

U Wyoming

U Utah

Montana State 

Met with potential professor from one of those schools at a big conference I was presenting at, so I'm really hoping that made a good impression! Fingers crossed and good luck to all y'all too! 

I'm applying to Utah also, for geophysics. Good luck!