2018 Ford Predoctoral Fellowship

EngineerAlvara

4 hours ago, AcademiaOnTheRocks said:

Has anyone heard back from FORD yet?? Wondering if the acceptances/offers come in waves like some school offers do. The end of March is swiftly approaching!

Nope I still haven't heard from Ford; I thought this morning was going to be the day, but I guess not. I wish they gave us a date rather than a "before the end of the month" time range, as for a day we could count down and be patient, but for an any moment time range release we are constantly excited and looking lol

Edited by SmartGirl09

hoping this comes out soon! i've gathered the dates and days of the week for the last few years to see where we stand:

2017 - Wednesday, March 22

2016 - Tuesday, March 29

2015 - Tuesday, March 24

2014 - Monday, March 24

SO if all goes well, it seems like we should expect notifications to start rolling out in the next few days! i predict tomorrow (monday, early in the morning). good luck folks!

Edited by blvck_glitter__

Applicants from past years also said that their application portal looked different as awards started to get sent out. They could no longer see their application (or something like that), so I'm wondering if the same thing will happen this year. My application portal looks exactly the same as of right now.

10 minutes ago, dumpstercat said:

...I've heard rumblings of a waitlist type thing. In what circumstances do you think one would decide not to accept the fellowship? 

If it doesn't make financial sense that may be a reason, depending on the applicant's university and how the Fellowship stacks with assistantship stipends, etc. That would be the only reason I could think of besides getting another competitive fellowship with similar or better funding since the Ford cannot be combined with another major fellowship.

44 minutes ago, dumpstercat said:

Does anyone know if they contact honorable mentions right away as well? I've heard rumblings of a waitlist type thing. In what circumstances do you think one would decide not to accept the fellowship? 

I was waitlisted/honorable mentioned last year and hear at noon on the 22 the sane day as everyone who got awarded. 

49 minutes ago, dumpstercat said:

Does anyone know if they contact honorable mentions right away as well? I've heard rumblings of a waitlist type thing. In what circumstances do you think one would decide not to accept the fellowship? 

If you win another fellowship that pays more, e.g. the NSF GRFP. 

1 hour ago, dumpstercat said:

I was waitlisted/honorable mentioned last year and hear at noon on the 22 the sane day as everyone who got awarded. 

Also if someone is in the process of going to grad school, wins the fellowship, and decides they will no longer be attending, that's another reason why someone would decline the award.

On an unrelated note, I really wish they would throw a plot twist at us and release the awards at night. :lol: But I guess we'll have to wait a few more days.

3 hours ago, Zathura said:

molecular cellular biology

Nice! I'm studying sociology.

2 hours ago, ravinera said:

Last year I was rejected as late as 5:19 p.m. CST so never fear.  We could still hear from them today.

That's good to know. Hopefully this year, you'll hear better news, and it'll come sooner rather than later!