2018 Ford Predoctoral Fellowship

EngineerAlvara

Whelp flat out rejection. Hope everyone else has better luck and if you won and are wiling to DM me your materials I'd super appreciate it! Social sciences (psychology and sociology are closest) but anything would be extremely valuable.

Edited by 8BitJourney

Well, got my e-mail, a no go for me. It was a good effort. Unfortunately, I'm not eligible next year but will probably apply for the dissertation award in a year. Good luck everyone!

11 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Whelp flat out rejection. Hope everyone else has better luck and if you won and are wiling to DM me your materials I'd super appreciate it!

Same. If anyone in Sociology/WGS/CRT got accepted or honorable mentioned and is willing to share materials, let me know. 

14 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Whelp flat out rejection. Hope everyone else has better luck and if you won and are wiling to DM me your materials I'd super appreciate it! Social sciences (psychology and sociology are closest) but anything would be extremely valuable.

Same - I am in Psych but Soc would also be helpful! 

I also was rejected. Congrats to all of the winners!!!! Much deserved and I'm toasting (my stale coffee) in your honor. I just want to give a quick shout out to this thread and to everyone who has been commenting and supporting each other. It was been so helpful to me these last few weeks!!! 

41 minutes ago, NervousChemApplicant said:

Rejected :(

can people see their reviews/comments??

I can see them and I already want to have a heart to heart with reviewer 4. Like who hurt you sir and why are you taking it out on me?? :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, divana olivas said:

I also was rejected. Congrats to all of the winners!!!! Much deserved and I'm toasting (my stale coffee) in your honor. I just want to give a quick shout out to this thread and to everyone who has been commenting and supporting each other. It was been so helpful to me these last few weeks!!! 

Agreed! this thread has been a lifeline. I didn't get anything this year, but a sincere congrats to everyone that did

This was my first time applying and got honorable mention! I am in California. I cannot see comments as of yet.

Congratulations to the winners! And can I just say how grateful I am for this forum and for how supportive everyone is. Best wishes for the end of the academic year! 

28 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

I can see them and I already want to have a heart to heart with reviewer 4. Like who hurt you sir and why are you taking it out on me?? :rolleyes:

Hee. I only had two reviewers. One reviewer left no comments and seemed to mark everything in the realm of "good" on my rubric while the other reviewer marked most elements as "excellent" and thought my background was "compelling" and my understanding of the topics as "sophisticated." I know they don't attribute the check marks to the reviewers on the rubric, but based on feedback I'm just assuming who graded what.

What a discrepancy! It's as if they were reading different docs. ha. I wonder if my politically-laden research threw reviewer one. Of course I tried to water that down. Oh well - such is the nature of the beast :) I'm happy reviewer two could pick up what I was putting down. Ha!

5 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Hee. I only had two reviewers. One reviewer left no comments and seemed to mark everything in the realm of "good" on my rubric while the other reviewer marked most elements as "excellent" and thought my background was "compelling" and my understanding of the topics as "sophisticated." I know they don't attribute the check marks to the reviewers on the rubric, but based on feedback I'm just assuming who graded what.

What a discrepancy! It's as if they were reading different docs. ha. I wonder if my politically-laden research threw reviewer one. Of course I tried to water that down. Oh well - such is the nature of the beast :) I'm happy reviewer two could pick up what I was putting down. Ha!

I had that same thing. I had two reviewers and one marked me quite high. The other went the opposite in some cases! Oh well.

7 minutes ago, cranbarrier said:

I had that same thing. I had two reviewers and one marked me quite high. The other went the opposite in some cases! Oh well.

9 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Same, I received honorable mention and had 2 reviewers total; one reviewer that tended to rate me as "excellent" and another reviewer who rated most of my stuff as "good." And my 2 reviewers did not leave any comments to supplement the ratings *sigh*

Kinda disappointed I didn't win, but that's life. Also, the differences between my reviewer's thoughts on me are startling, e.g. 'Excellent' from one of them for 'evidence of likelihood of using diversity as a resource in teaching and scholarship', the other one 'fair'. :wacko: Maybe I'll have better luck as far as reviewers go next year... 

5abbd3dee5dfa_ScreenShot2018-03-28at12_45_02PM.thumb.png.2106a6184bde4c727f7e30fa74c72c2f.png

54 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Yea That as me last year. Out of five reviewers, only one gave me a fair for work history whereas everyone else gave very goods and excellent. I'm like I've been working fulltime since undergrad both in and out of my field, while going to school and managed to get 4.0s for my masters and a 3.8 while doing PhD. What else did you expect me to do? Not sleep the little I did?

I got flat out rejected. Not even an honorable mention. I'm bummed, but part of me was expecting it.

I only had 2 reviewers. One seemed to really like my application and rated me with excellent/very good ratings. The other reviewer gave me good/fair ratings, but they were on things that I have little control over now (e.g., past employment history).

I'm definitely willing to try and apply again next year, but I'll have to figure out how to make my application stronger. Congratulations to all the winners! I know y'all are going to do great things. :)

2 hours ago, Musiciangrl06 said:

Yea That as me last year. Out of five reviewers, only one gave me a fair for work history whereas everyone else gave very goods and excellent. I'm like I've been working fulltime since undergrad both in and out of my field, while going to school and managed to get 4.0s for my masters and a 3.8 while doing PhD. What else did you expect me to do? Not sleep the little I did?

one of my reviewers was super hard on my employment history too!!! 

i had 5 reviewers... not sure why there's a difference in reviewer number. 

also, do folks know if honorable mention is the same as alternate or if you're an alternate you'll be told you're an alternate honorable mention?

Hi folks -- first time posting, but have been appreciating you all for the past week +!

Congratulations to all of the winners, alternates, and honorable mentions!

I've got these same questions: 

44 minutes ago, blvck_glitter__ said:

one of my reviewers was super hard on my employment history too!!! 

i had 5 reviewers... not sure why there's a difference in reviewer number. 

also, do folks know if honorable mention is the same as alternate or if you're an alternate you'll be told you're an alternate honorable mention?

And to that end, would anyone know what they might be looking for with employment history? I was rated lowest in this area by four of my raters. I have wondered if this is because I had worked in a field completely irrelevant to improving diversity in education or even community welfare for that matter.  

4 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

You had 4 reviewers?? I only had 2 :/ I wonder how they decided how many reviewers each application got. That seems unfair on their end because one of my reviewers gave me ratings from good - very good while the other gave me ratings mostly around fair...so that would pull my average rating down a lot more than if I had multiple reviewers and only one who disliked my application so much. 

Edited by shiningorb