Cornell

bananagramsfan

Does anyone know anything about the computer labs on campus? Is printing free, are there limitations to numbers of pages, etc?

Thanks!

There are several small computer labs on campus and then all the libraries have computers and printers. Unfortunately it is not free - I think it was 5 or 10 cents / page for black and white and then 25 cents for color (which you can put on your bursar bill), but there are no limitations on numbers of pages or anything. There may be printers available to you with free printing from your department though.

Hope this helps!

I was just wondering if I should buy a printer. I guess the answer is yes!

Yeah, it'd probably be more convenient that way, unless you don't want to haul one around when you move. I got through my undergrad degree at Cornell without buying one, but there were a few close-calls when it came to getting papers printed out on time, etc. Heh!

Yeah, it'd probably be more convenient that way, unless you don't want to haul one around when you move. I got through my undergrad degree at Cornell without buying one, but there were a few close-calls when it came to getting papers printed out on time, etc. Heh!

Same story for me! Actually, I came to undergrad with a printer, but it died sophomore year, just when I started to have a lot of papers to write...

I got myself a printer last winter. It was $120 for an HP color/b&w, print/copy/fax dealie, and it connects to all computers in my house via my wireless network! It's pretty sweet, and much less than I expected, since I hadn't bought much computer equipment in a few years.

One suggestion I would have for a printer is to find one where the color cartridges are separate (blue/magenta/yellow, as opposed to one big cartridge). Then you can replace individual colors as needed, and not waste blue ink just because you've run out of yellow. It'll cost an extra $10-$15, but you'll make it up by the second time you buy ink!

Hi, everyone!

I finally decided to stop lurking. First, thank you so much to all the Ithacans who have posted so much helpful tips on everything from housing to clothing.

I will be entering Cornell as a grad student in August. I'm from California and I've never lived in snow :-/, or even on the East Coast (of America that is)! So it will be an adventure. So I have a few questions...

1) I've checked out red-crayon's totally useful description on neighborhoods, but I'm still confused on one last neighborhood, Fall Creek. I have heard both the west/ southwest side of campus towards Downtown referred to as Fall Creek, but I have also heard the northwest part of campus, near Thurston Court, ~also~ referred to as fall creek, which is pretty confusing. Is there any clarification on this geographical anomaly?

2-3) Having said that, I've pretty much decided, at least for my first year, to hope for a place in Fall Creek (either of the above) or Downtown, so I can get my bearings. Maybe next year I'll move farther away to one of those gorgeous houses on the east side of campus with veggie gardens and such. I just signed on to the Listserv a week ago, it looks like all of the emails are starting to be summer sublets. Did I miss the window for fall housing? The OCHO website has a pretty neat searchable list of housing off campus, the only major bummer is that it is missing photographs. I'm also looking on Craigs, but as with all of them I'm still hesitating on contacting them because I won't be flying over to check the place out until I arrive in August. Argh. I just need to stop worrying and start writing, I know.

By the way, new readers, I used this as a starting point to knowledge about neighborhoods, which is how I ended up with downtown/ Fall Creek.

http://studentlife.g...rnell/moving-in

I guess my priorities/wishes, in order, are:

-Not too many undergrads / (specifically party noises)-- I'm getting crotchety in my old age blink.gif. I don't want to live completely alone, and it would be nice if someone I live with knows something about snow!

-Proximity to campus or to public transport and grocery foods.

-Decent kitchen.

-People have said some of the houses can be old and shabby, which worries me only because the photos on Craig are all pristine and picture perfect. (I don't mind shabby, but I like surprises even less.) I mean, I'm the kind of person who researches all of the ~bad~ reviews, and I go thru them and think "yep, ok, i can handle that, doesn't bother me, etc."

-I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the $400-600 range, including utilities.

Hmmm. I guess that part is thinking out loud... unless anyone has comments/tips. Here's some more actual questions.

4. Do people walk to school in wintertime? I'd love to tell the "I walked uphill thru snow, both ways" to the grandkids. :) And is the #10 bus the only one that goes THRU campus? I'll be at CIPA which looks pretty much like the center of campus.

5. What about meal plans? Any opinions? My initial thought is to get Bear Bucks - $485 per semester or Meals by Design - $250 per semester. You can get some grocery type items on campus too, right? It might make things convenient.

http://www.campuslif...-meal-plans.cfm

6. Last but not least, possibly silly question-- what do grad students use to carry books in? Backpacks? Purses? Over the shoulder laptop type bags? Rolling backpack? Carryon suitcase with wheels? etc. I guess it depends on the major, how many books there will be to carry. I'm currently using a rolling backpack now because I like to have all my textbooks on hand, but I don't know how that will work with snow. I've even seen people with rolling crates to carry their books in... I have to admit I like them. But what do you do at Cornell?

This is what happens when I come out of lurking, all the questions that I've got stored up all come out at once!

Thanks in Advance!

-Debbie

Excellent questions! I'll give you my perspective...

Hi, everyone!

I finally decided to stop lurking. First, thank you so much to all the Ithacans who have posted so much helpful tips on everything from housing to clothing.

I will be entering Cornell as a grad student in August. I'm from California and I've never lived in snow :-/, or even on the East Coast (of America that is)! So it will be an adventure. So I have a few questions...

1) I've checked out red-crayon's totally useful description on neighborhoods, but I'm still confused on one last neighborhood, Fall Creek. I have heard both the west/ southwest side of campus towards Downtown referred to as Fall Creek, but I have also heard the northwest part of campus, near Thurston Court, ~also~ referred to as fall creek, which is pretty confusing. Is there any clarification on this geographical anomaly?

That's HILARIOUS that people are calling that second area Fall Creek. The Fall Creek neighborhood is named for a small stream - Fall Creek - that runs through it. The creek does indeed begin on north campus, near Thurston Court. But that area is more properly called North Campus (=mix of grads and undergrads, architects, and fraternities), or Cayuga Heights if you go farther north and a little west).

2-3) Having said that, I've pretty much decided, at least for my first year, to hope for a place in Fall Creek (either of the above) or Downtown, so I can get my bearings. Maybe next year I'll move farther away to one of those gorgeous houses on the east side of campus with veggie gardens and such. I just signed on to the Listserv a week ago, it looks like all of the emails are starting to be summer sublets. Did I miss the window for fall housing? The OCHO website has a pretty neat searchable list of housing off campus, the only major bummer is that it is missing photographs. I'm also looking on Craigs, but as with all of them I'm still hesitating on contacting them because I won't be flying over to check the place out until I arrive in August. Argh. I just need to stop worrying and start writing, I know.

By the way, new readers, I used this as a starting point to knowledge about neighborhoods, which is how I ended up with downtown/ Fall Creek.

http://studentlife.g...rnell/moving-in

With the listserv, I would say, go ahead and post that you're LOOKING for a place! A friend just did that with lots of success and found a great place to share with 1 other (continuing) grad student.

With OCHO, a lot of the listings are from major property managers that do have pictures on their websites, etc. Contact some of the people on there and ask if they have pictures, or if they would be wiling to take pictures. But beware of pictures: I've seen a new trend of landlords photoshopping pictures of apartments to make them look brighter (and thus bigger...) on Craigslist this year!

Also, if you need to make apartment decisions from afar, beware of anything that is "garden apartment" or "basement". It is very humid here and there is generally no AC and you WILL have mold and mildew problems living in a basement. Trust me. Been there, done that, came out of it with permanent mold allergies.

I guess my priorities/wishes, in order, are:

-Not too many undergrads / (specifically party noises)-- I'm getting crotchety in my old age blink.gif. I don't want to live completely alone, and it would be nice if someone I live with knows something about snow!

-Proximity to campus or to public transport and grocery foods.

-Decent kitchen.

-People have said some of the houses can be old and shabby, which worries me only because the photos on Craig are all pristine and picture perfect. (I don't mind shabby, but I like surprises even less.) I mean, I'm the kind of person who researches all of the ~bad~ reviews, and I go thru them and think "yep, ok, i can handle that, doesn't bother me, etc."

-I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the $400-600 range, including utilities.

Like I said, $400-600 should absolutely doable with 1-2 roommates. It'll be $650-900 for a 1 bedroom in Fall Creek though.

Whether you think the apartments are nice depends on where you come from. Coming from Brooklyn, you may be pleasantly surprised. Coming from DC or south, you'll be horrified and how small and old they are.

4. Do people walk to school in wintertime? I'd love to tell the "I walked uphill thru snow, both ways" to the grandkids. :) And is the #10 bus the only one that goes THRU campus? I'll be at CIPA which looks pretty much like the center of campus.

You will indeed walk uphill both ways, even if you take the bus to campus, whenever you go between buildings, pretty much.

Tons of buses go through campus. 10 will by FAR be most convenient for CIPA because of certain bus stop closures due to construction. It would let you off extremely close to Sibley. Or wait - IS CIPA based in Sibley, or... Uris?

Other buses through campus include 21, 30, 31, 51, 70/72 on the weekends, and many, many more. All of those will let you off at a stop about 7 or 8 minutes' walk from Sibley.

5. What about meal plans? Any opinions? My initial thought is to get Bear Bucks - $485 per semester or Meals by Design - $250 per semester. You can get some grocery type items on campus too, right? It might make things convenient.

http://www.campuslif...-meal-plans.cfm

Cornell Dining. If you spend long days on campus and aren't a picky eater, it would be nice. But the two best places to eat are NOT Cornell Dining - Temple of Zeus (cheap, independent, centrally-located), Manndible (mostly organic and local, delicious burritos, accommodates various diets) - and thus not on meal plan. I am a bit of a foodie and have too many food sensitivities, so I don't/can't do Cornell Dining - too much Romain lettuce and too many unlisted food additives. To-go ood is generic pre-made cafeteria sandwiches and salads. It totally depends on you, whether that's worthwhile.

HOWEVER, no matter what your preferences are, food is expensive through Cornell Dining. Really, really overpriced for the quality. They charge Manhattan bakery prices for pre-made generic cafeteria food. Again, whether it's worth it depends on your priorities.

Also, the on-campus Moosewood - the other exciting food option, which IS Cornell dining - is, in my experience, not so great.

6. Last but not least, possibly silly question-- what do grad students use to carry books in? Backpacks? Purses? Over the shoulder laptop type bags? Rolling backpack? Carryon suitcase with wheels? etc. I guess it depends on the major, how many books there will be to carry. I'm currently using a rolling backpack now because I like to have all my textbooks on hand, but I don't know how that will work with snow. I've even seen people with rolling crates to carry their books in... I have to admit I like them. But what do you do at Cornell?

Depends on the person. Snow makes wheels impractical. I've been using wheely bags for work for a couple years, and it's REALLY hard. It depends on how much you need to go between buildings during the day, though. I hate carrying books with me because I can't read on campus, so I'll be using an oversized purse/shoulder bag/tote.

That's HILARIOUS that people are calling that second area Fall Creek. The Fall Creek neighborhood is named for a small stream - Fall Creek - that runs through it. The creek does indeed begin on north campus, near Thurston Court. But that area is more properly called North Campus (=mix of grads and undergrads, architects, and fraternities), or Cayuga Heights if you go farther north and a little west).

Heh. I can understand that, though; I lived in that part of North Campus in 2008-09 and my route to the suspension-bridge went right by the Fall Creek Apartments. I get the feeling that a lot of undergrads don't really know about the actual Fall Creek neighbourhood at all; they stay too close to campus and the Commons to have been over there. So maybe they misinterpret any references to it as that area comprised of the west end of Thurston Avenue and its surroundings.

Cornell Dining. If you spend long days on campus and aren't a picky eater, it would be nice. But the two best places to eat are NOT Cornell Dining - Temple of Zeus (cheap, independent, centrally-located), Manndible (mostly organic and local, delicious burritos, accommodates various diets) - and thus not on meal plan. I am a bit of a foodie and have too many food sensitivities, so I don't/can't do Cornell Dining - too much Romain lettuce and too many unlisted food additives. To-go ood is generic pre-made cafeteria sandwiches and salads. It totally depends on you, whether that's worthwhile.

Couldn't agree more. I'm allergic to pretty much everything (including food-preservatives) and therefore gave up on the whole Cornell Dining thing after first year. (Manndible is awesome. In particular, the cookies there are fabulous. Whenever I go to Ithaca I go out of my way to buy some, especially the cherry-and-chocolate kind.)

Depends on the person. Snow makes wheels impractical. I've been using wheely bags for work for a couple years, and it's REALLY hard. It depends on how much you need to go between buildings during the day, though. I hate carrying books with me because I can't read on campus, so I'll be using an oversized purse/shoulder bag/tote.

If my experiences with suitcases on campus are any indication, then yes, avoid wheeled things. I used an everyday well-made backpack for all four years at Cornell and it worked fine.

THANKS! for the info.

Okay let's see. First, I'm from Northern California, so that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from. Then again, I have also worked on a cruise ship, so I like to think I can handle small spaces as long as there is adequate shelves and stuff.

Also, if you need to make apartment decisions from afar, beware of anything that is "garden apartment" or "basement". It is very humid here and there is generally no AC and you WILL have mold and mildew problems living in a basement. Trust me. Been there, done that, came out of it with permanent mold allergies.

Like I said, $400-600 should absolutely doable with 1-2 roommates. It'll be $650-900 for a 1 bedroom in Fall Creek though.

So... do I ~need~ AC? Windows open/ breeze from lakes not enough? Humid, eh?

And yes, I am expecting and hoping to live with some nice roommates :)

Heh. I can understand that, though; I lived in that part of North Campus in 2008-09 and my route to the suspension-bridge went right by the Fall Creek Apartments. I get the feeling that a lot of undergrads don't really know about the actual Fall Creek neighbourhood at all; they stay too close to campus and the Commons to have been over there. So maybe they misinterpret any references to it as that area comprised of the west end of Thurston Avenue and its surroundings.

Haha, of course, that could just be ME misinterpreting references. But thanks, you guys definitely helped clear up my confusion with the Fall Creek. Oh-- Fall Creek Apartments... there are a couple of listings on OCHO-- anyone been inside and have comments on those apartments?

Okay... back to search. I'm hoping I haven't left this til too late since it is after graduation!! Thanks again.

~Debbie

Edited by DebbieC

THANKS! for the info.

Okay let's see. First, I'm from Northern California, so that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from. Then again, I have also worked on a cruise ship, so I like to think I can handle small spaces as long as there is adequate shelves and stuff.

So... do I ~need~ AC? Windows open/ breeze from lakes not enough? Humid, eh?

And yes, I am expecting and hoping to live with some nice roommates :)

The only places that have AC were built in the 80s, carpeted, ugly, and in inconvenient places. It's hot, it's humid, there's often no breeze, unless it's raining, which just makes it more humid... but it's only for 2-3 months, so really, it's a nice change of pace!

Other summers, like 2009, it never gets above 70 and you hope and pray for a sunny day when you can leave the house. That's about 1of every 4 summers. The others are hot and humid.

Has anyone received their welcome packet yet? I was told it would come around the first of June, but so far no word from anyone... Perhaps I was misinformed and it is going to come later?

Has anyone received their welcome packet yet? I was told it would come around the first of June, but so far no word from anyone... Perhaps I was misinformed and it is going to come later?

I got what I assume was a welcome packet in like March, but it didn't have anything ground-breaking in it, just a couple brochures for the graduate school and university housing. Haven't received anything else in the mail for a while. Have you been receiving the emails to fill out the forms online? Those are really important, deadlines are coming up soon!

If there is a welcome packet... it's going to come to my parents' house while I'm working abroad (just like my diplomas :\ ). I would really like to be able to register though. I'm definitely one of those people that's very obsessive about scheduling and registration, so it's irking me that I potentially might not get to register for classes until the orientation my department is having on August 23rd.

I was thinking about the packet that had financial aid stuff, loan information, things of the financial side. I will feel better once I see the numbers in black and white and know I can pay for everything! :-)

Yeah, I've been trying to keep on top of the deadlines. The health form is due super soon and the rest is due in July, I believe.

I was thinking about the packet that had financial aid stuff, loan information, things of the financial side. I will feel better once I see the numbers in black and white and know I can pay for everything! :-)

Yeah, I've been trying to keep on top of the deadlines. The health form is due super soon and the rest is due in July, I believe.

Oh I'm not sure about the loan stuff, but I did see there was stuff in the "Student Center" thing online that had a loan application and such. Try looking on there and see if that is what you are looking for.

Edited by so47

I got what I assume was a welcome packet in like March, but it didn't have anything ground-breaking in it, just a couple brochures for the graduate school and university housing. Haven't received anything else in the mail for a while. Have you been receiving the emails to fill out the forms online? Those are really important, deadlines are coming up soon!

This is what I received too. About a week ago, I received a large-sized postcard basically informing me of all the forms to fill out online here (http://newstudents.cornell.edu/grad/).

Other than that, nothing via snail mail. I did receive my housing assignment (Hasbrouck) and my NetID. I've filled out almost everything (except taking a picture for the student ID...ugh). Do we hear stuff about orientation through individual departments or is there just one catch-all date to show up on campus?

I contacted the financial aid office about loans, and here is the response:

There are additional steps to apply for the direct loan, please see the steps below.

[in response to other loans] the popular choice for students is the grad plus loan.

To apply for a graduate William D. Ford Direct loan(Direct loan)you will need to submit a FAFSA, a Direct loan application(F4)available on the forms section of our website at www.gradschool.cornell.edu and a copy of your 2009 federal tax return. We would like everything submitted by the first part of May and we hope to have a reply via e-mail by July. The maximum you can receive in Direct loan is $20,500 for the academic year.

For information regarding internal fellowships or assistantships please contact your department. For information on non internal fellowships or assistantships you may visit our fellowship database at http://www.gradschool.cornell.edu/index.php?p=132

Should I be worried about registration? I just assumed this was something to go over with my adviser about when I get to campus. Enlighten me?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by throwupandaway

Regarding the financial aid package, I recently checked the Student Center and there was a loan application that was way overdue already. I called the graduate financial aid office, and they said I had to fax all the remaining documents such as your last year's tax return, the Federal Loan Application forms, etc. And once all the required information is gathered, they told me we should be receiving financial aid packages in July.... but isn't the first payment of our tuition due in July?? I'm kind of worried about that. I am relying on loans to pay my tuition :/

Regarding the financial aid package, I recently checked the Student Center and there was a loan application that was way overdue already. I called the graduate financial aid office, and they said I had to fax all the remaining documents such as your last year's tax return, the Federal Loan Application forms, etc. And once all the required information is gathered, they told me we should be receiving financial aid packages in July.... but isn't the first payment of our tuition due in July?? I'm kind of worried about that. I am relying on loans to pay my tuition :/

In the fine print somewhere (maybe on the Bursar's form?), it says that for every month that there is a late payment, a certain percentage gets charged as a late fee. I'm guessing this would be applicable if the loans aren't processed on time. I could be wrong (because my loan paperwork was sent out a couple weeks ago...I was a late admit), so you might want to follow up on that.

re: loans and such, I noticed that Facebook had a groups page for grad class of 2011, and they were telling each other about the financial aid information coming late, later than the tuition was due. So from anecdotal evidence that seems normal. Probably best to talk to the office in question directly though. You know what they say about info found on the internet :)

Hey, I'm seeking advice on choosing a place to live: I've narrowed it down to two favorites.

One is on State Street, right next to Stewart. Three other roommate share the 2nd and 3rd floor. My room is on the 3rd floor so it's a bit farther from noise and traffic, however it might be more variable in temperatures :-/. At any rate, the noise I think I can handle. The big huge plus is that there is a student there in my department. Kitchen / dining room looks great, living room seems ok. The minus is the possible temperature, the room looks pretty small in the photo, and potential noise. There is a bit more that I don't know, so all the stuff on paper ~looks~ good.

The other is on University near the cemetery. It's the ground level of four apartments in a house. I'd share with two housemates, my room is at the ground level facing south. The common areas looks small, the room is small, 12x9. Hardwood Floors. Kitchen seems okay. But again, there is more that I just can't tell from the distance. It's also ~$60 less expensive than the other place.

Any thoughts? What are your priorities in looking for a place? My top ones are location (convenience to school/transport/grocery food), then roommates, comfort, kitchen. So I guess, the primary question that I can ask you is what you think about the location of each place?

Other possibilities include King Street (how's the transportation there?) its got cool sounding roommates and kitchen, space, unbelievably inexpensive $400, another on University (big room, most expensive), and one last one on Yates/Cayuga. My main reason for prefering the first two State&University is that I like being around housemates who are older like me, which seems a rarity in Cornell :)

Thanks! You guys have all been so helpful and I'm so grateful.

Debbie

Edited by DebbieC

re: loans and such, I noticed that Facebook had a groups page for grad class of 2011, and they were telling each other about the financial aid information coming late, later than the tuition was due. So from anecdotal evidence that seems normal. Probably best to talk to the office in question directly though. You know what they say about info found on the internet :)

Hey, I'm seeking advice on choosing a place to live: I've narrowed it down to two favorites.

One is on State Street, right next to Stewart. Three other roommate share the 2nd and 3rd floor. My room is on the 3rd floor so it's a bit farther from noise and traffic, however it might be more variable in temperatures :-/. At any rate, the noise I think I can handle. The big huge plus is that there is a student there in my department. Kitchen / dining room looks great, living room seems ok. The minus is the possible temperature, the room looks pretty small in the photo, and potential noise. There is a bit more that I don't know, so all the stuff on paper ~looks~ good.

The other is on University near the cemetery. It's the ground level of four apartments in a house. I'd share with two housemates, my room is at the ground level facing south. The common areas looks small, the room is small, 12x9. Hardwood Floors. Kitchen seems okay. But again, there is more that I just can't tell from the distance. It's also ~$60 less expensive than the other place.

Any thoughts? What are your priorities in looking for a place? My top ones are location (convenience to school/transport/grocery food), then roommates, comfort, kitchen. So I guess, the primary question that I can ask you is what you think about the location of each place?

Other possibilities include King Street (how's the transportation there?) its got cool sounding roommates and kitchen, space, unbelievably inexpensive $400, another on University (big room, most expensive), and one last one on Yates/Cayuga. My main reason for prefering the first two State&University is that I like being around housemates who are older like me, which seems a rarity in Cornell :)

Thanks! You guys have all been so helpful and I'm so grateful.

Debbie

My biggest caution is on the ground floor apartment. Watch out for mold. Even if you don't see it. Musty, old smell? "Stuffy" feeling? RUN.

It's not hard to develop a mold allergy which results in always having a "cold", or developing asthma, or getting bronchitis a lot. This happened to me and it's had long-lasting effects. Several co-workers have also had this problem. Ithaca is humid, and then it's cold, and that's how you get mold.

State and Stewart sounds nice. A lot of old houses have too-powerful heat. Plus, heat rises, so the top floor will probably be the warmest. State and Stewart has a bus stop TO campus right in front. It's walkable to downtown. There are no grocery stores nearby, but you can take a bus from downtown. There's also a Carshare car at that intersection that you could rent hourly for errands. I did Carshare for a while and it was GREAT.

I am yet another person who did their undergrad at Cornell. Wonderful school, very challenging from the undergrad perspective. I lived in the Cornell Heights neighborhood just north of campus. I never had a problem getting to class...mostly because I didn't mind walking 20 minutes. Bus services is dcent but not great. Parking on campus is nearly impossible; it may be better to not have a car,l depending on where you live and how much travel you plan to do outside of Ithaca.

Be sure to visit the Big Rad Barn. It's the grad student hangout (originally it was the carriagehouse of Cornell's first president), and on Fridays they have drink specials (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic varieties).

Regarding the loans:

I contacted the financial aid office. They hope to get us our loan information by July- the first bill isn't due until August.

Whew!

Ooh good to know. Thanks for calling in!

Did everyone get their Health forms in? :-)

Yup! Though I didn't get any notification that they actually received the hard copy, so here's to hoping! lol

On another note, my department emailed us today saying that we needed to register for this particular course number for the summer so our accounts are active for our training session in July, but it's not allowing any of us to register for it. They said we have to enroll in this thing by the 24th, which would be fine if they could get it to work! If they don't fix it tomorrow, I'm up a creek without a paddle since I am leaving for vacation for a week! Hopefully I will be able to get on the internet there....

PS- so I haven't yet submitted the ID form yet (being picky about a pic lol) but do they just mail the ID card to you after you submit it? Has anyone done all that yet? I'm hoping to have the card in my possession before I get there so I can have my bus pass to get to campus the first few days. Thanks!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use