Cornell

bananagramsfan

Oh ok, if that's all that happens when I don't pay my bill, then I'll be ok. I'll be able to pay it before I actually get to Cornell, I just don't want to waste the money on it while I'm still hanging around Europe and it would be hard to transfer money to them from the German bank account that my pay is going into.

Yeah, I paid my bill late almost every semester as an undergrad because the financial aid billing was going through a lot of changes. I was always registered within a couple days of talking to someone, and it was fine!

I just got back from a holiday and all the deluge of emails including this bursar bill issue left me very confused. This thread did clear it out for me though :) I'm up for a meeting anytime - brunch, BRB, anything's good.

people who are fully funded by your home department do you know how to take care of the bursar bill?

I logged into my netpay account and found Im due like 5200 dollarish. Im fully funded so should I wait for my department to take care of it or do I need to take action? Im kinda worried with the Aug 7th due date for paying tuition cuz right now Im out of the US.

Hi,

I funded by my department yet the Student Center states that I'm due the full tuition amount. Anyone else dealing with this ? How do you solve this ?

Also - anyone know what the Student Activites Fee of 38$ is about. When is it due? Is it a mandatory fee ? It seems that my tuition waiver does not include this. Should I pay it ?

Fully funded students:

I remember dealing with this last year. I think you just need to give a quick phone call to Bursar or, even a faster route, talk to your department advisor. I think the due date says something like August 6th, but it is my belief that the charges will drop for those who are fully funded even if they occur on your next billing cycle. Just an administrative cost to deal with.

Student activity fee:

Mandatory! Go to Big Red Barn to get cheap beer on Fridays! Hooray.

re: Meetup

Let's see. I'm reluctant to do a weekday lunch because some people might have or be preparing for classes. And yeah, weekends might be a lot of trips good point.

How does this sound? I haven't been so someone may have to tweak this. We did this for a CouchSurfing meetup, a few people who are committed to getting there early, arrive someplace (ie BRB) with a small sign to put on a table that says "GradCafe.com", so that we can find each other. Then all that's left is to pick a time. I'm checking out the calendar for BRB,

http://exchange.corn...=gradbigredbarn

Do we want to avoid the TGIF with loads and loads of people? In which case maybe we could meet on a Thursday afternoon Like Sept 2nd, say 4-6pm? Does BRB have dinner or snacks? We could be there during International Coffee Hour. (Wait, does that mean they serve Int'l Coffees or is that for Int'l students??) Or evening, after dinner, 7 or 8-10pm.

Or do we want to be there with a nice large crowd so that we can come and go? If that's the case then we can come during TGIF like during Sept 3rd, 4:30-7pm, and stake out a table early?

Input from current or former Cornellians, pls! :)

In other thoughts, how are y'all getting your stuff to Cornell? I just got an email from Ship2School advertising a shipping thing... but it's like $400! Um, no thanks... I'm sending my stuff USPS through Media Mail $21. Even regular / non media mail is like $52 for 50 lbs.

Time to start packing and shipping!! EEK.

-Debbie

Edited by DebbieC

*grumble*vent*

Sometimes the departments are toooo autonomous. I sent in a transcript, just to be nice. It's from the community college where I was taking refresher courses for my pre-reqs.

I got my bachelor's several years ago and ~that~ transcript was sent in before my application. According to my notes it was sent directly to my department I'm applying to.

Well. The grad school office (the general one, not my specific dept) just wrote to say they received my transcript but it doesn't have a bachelor degree. I wrote back and was like, well, duh, you already have that transcript. He writes back and says, can you please have your undergraduate school send that transcript please.

Are you serious? How did I get into this program without an undergraduate degree clearly stated? Obviously the community college wasn't going to be giving me one. You can't find my application with the transcript?? You can't Walk Upstairs to my department In the Same Building on the floor above yours and ask for it? Or better yet just call and have them confirm it's all good??

Sorry. I know I'm ranting unreasonably. It seems to me that there needs to be a helluva lot more communication and streamlining in this university... this isn't the first time something like this has happened to confuse and irritate me, that's why it set me off. It just seems completely ridiculous to request something a second time. It smacks of disorganization and unprofessionalism.

(I'm also ranting because I'm about to go on a trip overseas until basically registration so I won't have time to fulfill her request. But transcripts are due Aug 25th so I'm totally going to leave this until I get to campus. Or ask my dept to fix it when they come back from vacation next week.)

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

thanks for listening to me.

Let's see. I'm reluctant to do a weekday lunch because some people might have or be preparing for classes. And yeah, weekends might be a lot of trips good point.

How does this sound? I haven't been so someone may have to tweak this. We did this for a CouchSurfing meetup, a few people who are committed to getting there early, arrive someplace (ie BRB) with a small sign to put on a table that says "GradCafe.com", so that we can find each other. Then all that's left is to pick a time. I'm checking out the calendar for BRB,

http://exchange.corn...=gradbigredbarn

Do we want to avoid the TGIF with loads and loads of people? In which case maybe we could meet on a Thursday afternoon Like Sept 2nd, say 4-6pm? Does BRB have dinner or snacks? We could be there during International Coffee Hour. (Wait, does that mean they serve Int'l Coffees or is that for Int'l students??) Or evening, after dinner, 7 or 8-10pm.

Or do we want to be there with a nice large crowd so that we can come and go? If that's the case then we can come during TGIF like during Sept 3rd, 4:30-7pm, and stake out a table early?

Input from current or former Cornellians, pls! :)

In other thoughts, how are y'all getting your stuff to Cornell? I just got an email from Ship2School advertising a shipping thing... but it's like $400! Um, no thanks... I'm sending my stuff USPS through Media Mail $21. Even regular / non media mail is like $52 for 50 lbs.

-Debbie

I like the sign saying "gradcafe.com" idea.

I'm taking all my stuff by car... from California. I wish there was an easier way, but shipping all my stuff seems way too expensive... Wish me luck!

Did you guys get an email to check enrollment date/times? So are we supposed to choose our classes and get in them now? I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices, I thought we would have a sit down with our advisor to help guide us thru the process when we get there for registration on August 23rd?

Can anyone shed light on this?

By the way, in case you haven't seen, here is some generic info on Grad Orientation:

http://www.gradschool.cornell.edu/?p=41

Also, this is for the undergrads, but there are a few nuggets of info, which I presume we could crash? And if not, it will tell you where the undergrads and their parental units will be and what places to avoid.

http://newstudentprograms.cornell.edu/orientation/PDFs/OrientationGuide2010.pdf

Still confuzed! Sigh.

We could be there during International Coffee Hour. (Wait, does that mean they serve Int'l Coffees or is that for Int'l students??)

Although the event is put on by the international students' centre, I'm pretty sure everyone is welcome. I'd go for it!

-Debbie

Ok so my plans to drive have been changed, and I am now flying! I am now on the same boat as you and am not sure how I'm going to ship all my stuff to school... Any luck finding the best way to go about this? I am going to look at UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL... and then Amtrak.

~Ok, new question here:

What are the utility companies in Ithaca? I am going to be the first person to arrive at my apartment, and I want to have electricity and gas and maybe even internet when I arrive... Help!

What are the utility companies in Ithaca? I am going to be the first person to arrive at my apartment, and I want to have electricity and gas and maybe even internet when I arrive... Help!

NYSEG deals with electricity and gas. There are probably a few options for Internet-providers, but I got the feeling that the most widely-used was Time Warner Cable.

Ok so my plans to drive have been changed, and I am now flying! I am now on the same boat as you and am not sure how I'm going to ship all my stuff to school... Any luck finding the best way to go about this? I am going to look at UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL... and then Amtrak.

Purple: haha, I was totally going to ask you where in California you were and if I could send stuff with you!! :)

As for mailing, I intend to mail all of my stuff good old U.S. Postal Service. According to their website it takes about 8 days to ship. You can send a box, which, between 30-50 lbs is about $1 a pound. (So a 50 lb box was $52 and a 30 lb box was about $32.) Also, I am sending one or two boxes by "Media Mail" which is only books, papers, and CDs. (No computer stuff.) And that is about $32 for a 50 lb box. I'm budgeting about $500 for 2 boxes of books and five 35-lb boxes of clothes and stuff. OH, and, this cost is for shipping from my zip code in the Bay Area to the house in Ithaca. I will probably add $200 worth of insurance for each "stuff" box for $2.75, which will also let me track the boxes.

Anyone else have similar / different experience/advice?

~Ok, new question here:

Cornell's Off Campus Housing Office has a lot of useful links. At the bottom of this page is a list of phone numbers if you click on the Important Numbers links, and it includes cable and electricity and stuff.

http://dos.cornell.e...ents/moving.cfm

Last but not least:

:rolleyes: Is anyone flying into Newark, New Jersey / NYC? I am spending a few days there with my cousin, and I have rented a car for driving to Ithaca. I'll be going early on Saturday August 21st. If you are flying into New Jersey (or NYC and willing to take the train to Newark (easy)), then perhaps you'd like to share a lift to school with me? It would be nice to have some company on the 4 hour drive!

pps. re: the Grad Cafe meetup-- I imagine we will all be pretty busy the first few weeks, but I'd still like to make sure our meetup happens, so let's all remember to check back here the days leading up to it! Tentatively Sept 2nd or 3rd (second Thurs/Friday), pending anyone with greater experience and knowledge :)

Purple: haha, I was totally going to ask you where in California you were and if I could send stuff with you!! :)

As for mailing, I intend to mail all of my stuff good old U.S. Postal Service. According to their website it takes about 8 days to ship. You can send a box, which, between 30-50 lbs is about $1 a pound. (So a 50 lb box was $52 and a 30 lb box was about $32.) Also, I am sending one or two boxes by "Media Mail" which is only books, papers, and CDs. (No computer stuff.) And that is about $32 for a 50 lb box. I'm budgeting about $500 for 2 boxes of books and five 35-lb boxes of clothes and stuff. OH, and, this cost is for shipping from my zip code in the Bay Area to the house in Ithaca. I will probably add $200 worth of insurance for each "stuff" box for $2.75, which will also let me track the boxes.

Anyone else have similar / different experience/advice?

Cornell's Off Campus Housing Office has a lot of useful links. At the bottom of this page is a list of phone numbers if you click on the Important Numbers links, and it includes cable and electricity and stuff.

http://dos.cornell.e...ents/moving.cfm

Last but not least:

:rolleyes: Is anyone flying into Newark, New Jersey / NYC? I am spending a few days there with my cousin, and I have rented a car for driving to Ithaca. I'll be going early on Saturday August 21st. If you are flying into New Jersey (or NYC and willing to take the train to Newark (easy)), then perhaps you'd like to share a lift to school with me? It would be nice to have some company on the 4 hour drive!

pps. re: the Grad Cafe meetup-- I imagine we will all be pretty busy the first few weeks, but I'd still like to make sure our meetup happens, so let's all remember to check back here the days leading up to it! Tentatively Sept 2nd or 3rd (second Thurs/Friday), pending anyone with greater experience and knowledge :)

Haha... Actually I would've left from Sacramento! But my car would've been packed anyway... Wow that's a lot of boxes shipped. Are you going to be checking in luggage to the max when you fly? Luckily, I will have a traveling companion (my bf) so I'm checking in 4 boxes of 50lbs each... And I'm hoping that's enough haha...

Actually, that weekend, I *might* be traveling to NYC for fun. It might be useful having a ride back. But I'm not sure yet... I'll let you know if we decide to do that!

My friend told me she called Amtrak and she can ship 100 lbs for $50! Is there an Amtrak stop in Ithaca though?...

http://www.amtrak.co...d=1241267371736

Nope, from what I hear the funky geography around Ithaca prevented anyone from ever doing much with railroads going through the area (this is another reason Ithaca is so small -- geography prevented it from being much of a hub for anything). The nearest Amtrak stop, I think, is maybe thirty miles away in Cortland or Binghamton or something. It's close enough that you could probably get the stuff to the Amtrak stop, get a hold of a car or truck, and make a few trips back and forth without driving yourself too crazy...

...scratch that. From Ithaca's Wikitravel page:

Although Ithaca once had rail connections to New York City, Scranton, Philadelphia, Buffalo and several cities in New England, the last passenger train left Ithaca in 1961, with the majority of service ending in the 1930's. Today, the nearest Amtrak [9] stations are on the Empire Corridor in Syracuse and Rochester. There are no direct bus connections to either station, however the two colleges sometimes run shuttles to the rail stations around semester breaks.

Syracuse, of course, is about 60 miles away. If I had to drive that round trip more than once in any one week period I would probably start going crazy, so I doubt you want to do it to pick up your stuff :P

Everyone registered? I was pleased to find that they haven't put holds on accounts for past due Bursar bills yet, so I was able to register with no problem despite that I haven't paid for the gym pass I foolishly already bought and the fact that my department hasn't paid my tuition yet. I over-registered (yup I'm a dick :\ ) and have five classes right now... have to decide which ones to drop. I also finally ordered my final transcript to be sent to the grad office last night.

I have already arrived in Ithaca and have advice for those on the way- call NYSEG NOW! It took me a week to get an appointment and let me tell you, it is very difficult to live without electricity! It also takes about a week to get Time Warner to hook up internet connections, so call them ASAP as well! It'll cost you about $65 for installation and first month's use.

I have a question about registering- should I wait until I meet with my adviser or just go for it? I'm confused as to how this works. I feel like I should talk to someone in the know before I sign up for a bunch of things I will regret later. Or is it easy to drop classes?

EEK!

Thanks!

I have a question about registering- should I wait until I meet with my adviser or just go for it? I'm confused as to how this works. I feel like I should talk to someone in the know before I sign up for a bunch of things I will regret later. Or is it easy to drop classes?

EEK!

Thanks!

Hey matcha,

I spoke to a second-year in our department, he's actually the president of the department's student club. We have a Facebook page.... in fact, there are ~three~ groups on fb... this one is the one with the school logo. They are also using Google Wave for the dept. which has some good information on it as well. There's a link and email address on FB that you can email to ask for an invite.

Anyway. Yes, our department is encouraged to wait until speaking to an adviser. Supposedly they say that CIPA classes won't fill up so there's no worries about that. However if you are concerned about classes outside the department filling up that you think you must take, perhaps you'd tentatively register for a couple of things, and just know that your schedule might change after speaking to your advisor.

I did a frustrating amount of research in the last twenty four hours so if you want to drop me an email or skype me if you want to talk live, contact info in our last email exchange :) Unfortunately I'm out of the country so the phone number won't work. Then again, I'm in the same boat as you, so if you want to find someone who's a year ahead of us, the president was really good about responding to emails.

-Debs

• 1 month later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use