Fall 2018 Application

Hi everyone, I just turned in my application for Columbia (just before the priority deadline, hehe) and am a little concerned because when the final page popped up with my application number, there was a red X next to "personal statement" with the word "awaiting" on it.  I wrote three essays but don't remember a place for a separate personal statement.  If the personal statement means the essays, I'm confused -- the preview of the application proof shows my three essays, plus my resume, was properly submitted, so why do I have an X there?  

Did anyone else get this or know what it might mean?  

Good luck, everyone!

18 hours ago, HopefulforMSW said:

Hi everyone, I just turned in my application for Columbia (just before the priority deadline, hehe) and am a little concerned because when the final page popped up with my application number, there was a red X next to "personal statement" with the word "awaiting" on it.  I wrote three essays but don't remember a place for a separate personal statement.  If the personal statement means the essays, I'm confused -- the preview of the application proof shows my three essays, plus my resume, was properly submitted, so why do I have an X there?  

Did anyone else get this or know what it might mean?  

Good luck, everyone!

You should call the admissions office on Monday. I applied for Advanced Standing and had an X next to something called "Practice Example" but that is just questions three of the admissions essay. They girl I talked to said they've been having some weird glitches in their system. She resolved it when I called. 

15 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

You should call the admissions office on Monday. I applied for Advanced Standing and had an X next to something called "Practice Example" but that is just questions three of the admissions essay. They girl I talked to said they've been having some weird glitches in their system. She resolved it when I called. 

Thanks!  I sent an email.  About 12 hours after I turned in my application, the X disappeared.  Not sure if it was because of the email or just a glitch that cleared itself up.  

1 hour ago, Jax_Nise said:

Hi everyone!

Good luck this application season! I am a 3-year student at California State University, Long Beach. If any of you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me!

Hello Jax,

So I applied to CSULB for the 2 year MSW, how do you like the program? I'm looking for a clinical focus and would be doing the mental health or (integrated health) program if admitted.

Have you taken any of the mental health or therapy focused classes and can you comment on how you like them, if they are well done?

They don't let you choose your program, but did you have any challenges in getting the program you wanted once admitted?

Lastly, I applied in mid October, do you know how long till they start to reveal admission decisions or how long it was for you?

Anything else you would like to share is very helpful, thank you!

29 minutes ago, BackNSchool83 said:

Hello Jax,

So I applied to CSULB for the 2 year MSW, how do you like the program? I'm looking for a clinical focus and would be doing the mental health or (integrated health) program if admitted.

Have you taken any of the mental health or therapy focused classes and can you comment on how you like them, if they are well done?

They don't let you choose your program, but did you have any challenges in getting the program you wanted once admitted?

Lastly, I applied in mid October, do you know how long till they start to reveal admission decisions or how long it was for you?

Anything else you would like to share is very helpful, thank you!

Hello BackNSchool83,

I love the program! On average the professors are amazing. In this program, students are required to select 3 electives. Specifically, I took SW 677, which is the mental health services class. It is a great class as you will learn the history of mental health (you will be required to read Mad in America by Robert Whitaker), you will have the experience of doing Hearing Voices simulation, as well as numerous topics as it relates to mental health. Although I did not take the psychopathology class, I have heard it is an intensive course but very worthwhile. Other electives to choose from are: Death and Dying (I took this class and I loved it! You will visit a mortuary), Spirituality (Again, a wonderful class.), Conflict Negotiation, and Homelessness (this class is very new). Throughout the program many classes will have case analysis assignments where you will be given a vignette and you will be required to conduct a bio-psycho-social-spiritual assessment.  

In terms of concentrations, the child, youth, and family services and integrated health concentrations are highly impacted. Since you mentioned interest in selected integrated health you will be encouraged to selected adulthood and aging, but ultimately if you stick with your selection they will place you in integrated health. 

I submitted my application several days before Thanksgiving. I received notification that I was selected into the 3 year program the last week in January. 

Here is what I know of the 2-year program:

- it is intense because you will have 5 classes plus internship

- it is possible that you will NOT be able to work 

- expect to take classes on Monday and Friday and 16 hours of internship on Tuesday-Thursday

- Foundation year internship will NOT be your choice

- Advance year internship will be your choice, meaning whatever is your interest (i.e., outpatient, medical social work, a particular population)

- You will have the option to do a thesis (quantitative or qualitative studies, grant proposal, curriculum development, policy analysis) or a macro project (working with 4 other students in your cohort)

- there is a Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health stipend available for the advance year internship (apply!)

If there is anything else that I didn't mention and you have questions, ask away!

16 hours ago, youthlagoon said:

Hey all! 

I just finished my applications for USC and Berkeley. Still applying to UMich, Penn, and BU.
Ugh this process is the worst! I want to start school already!

I hope I get to see you at UMich!

I was just accepted into NYU for Advanced Standing MSW for Fall 2018 with a $17,000 scholarship! This is my #2 school so I am pumped!! 

They want an answer in four weeks but I won’t hear from Columbia by then. Has anyone had any luck with getting an extension?

3 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

I was just accepted into NYU for Advanced Standing MSW for Fall 2018 with a $17,000 scholarship! This is my #2 school so I am pumped!! 

They want an answer in four weeks but I won’t hear from Columbia by then. Has anyone had any luck with getting an extension?

Just email them! They told me I have an extension until Feb 1st and to email them again if I need another one. Congrats on getting in as well!

Edited by TooExcited&Nervous
Missed something

On 12/3/2017 at 3:59 PM, Jax_Nise said:

Hi everyone!

Good luck this application season! I am a 3-year student at California State University, Long Beach. If any of you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me!

Hello! 

I am applying this fall but I am beyond discourage.

I wanted to share with you my stats maybe you have an idea of my rank.

I am a 2016 csulb alumni Human Development major 

GPA 3.54 

Letters of Rec Proffesor , Advisor,Director from my current job.

Experience that would be relevant or worth mentioning 

Internship a semester in a Mental Health and Substance abuse . Worked with adolescents  and adults 18-55

Current Employer: ABA therapy for young children diagnosed with autism. 8 months.

Personal statement still working on.

Is it worth a shot? 

It be the only school I apply too.

Thank you! 

7 hours ago, Hopemswzuki said:

Hello! 

I am applying this fall but I am beyond discourage.

I wanted to share with you my stats maybe you have an idea of my rank.

I am a 2016 csulb alumni Human Development major 

GPA 3.54 

Letters of Rec Proffesor , Advisor,Director from my current job.

Experience that would be relevant or worth mentioning 

Internship a semester in a Mental Health and Substance abuse . Worked with adolescents  and adults 18-55

Current Employer: ABA therapy for young children diagnosed with autism. 8 months.

Personal statement still working on.

Is it worth a shot? 

It be the only school I apply too.

Thank you! 

Hello!

APPLY!!!!!

Here is a bit about my stats when I applied for fall 2015: 2014 CSUDH graduate with a major in Africana Studies, GPA was probably 3.8, letters of recommendation from professors in my department, I was community organizer starting at age 16, I was a volunteer crisis counselor for only 1 year, oh and I failed 1 class in undergrad. 

I shared that to show you that you have a solid application. My tip is to use your personal statement to tell them why you would be a good fit for the social work program. Talk honestly about any bad grades; I did. I told them about the circumstances surrounding my bad grade and what happened next. 

When writing your personal statement, be yourself and be honest.

Also, don't be discouraged. My best friend applied to CSULB the same year she graduated from undergrad and didn't get in. I told her to apply again the next year and tell them through her personal statement why she would be a great fit for the program. She will be graduating in the spring of 2018. 

On December 3, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Jax_Nise said:

Hello BackNSchool83,

I love the program! On average the professors are amazing. In this program, students are required to select 3 electives. Specifically, I took SW 677, which is the mental health services class. It is a great class as you will learn the history of mental health (you will be required to read Mad in America by Robert Whitaker), you will have the experience of doing Hearing Voices simulation, as well as numerous topics as it relates to mental health. Although I did not take the psychopathology class, I have heard it is an intensive course but very worthwhile. Other electives to choose from are: Death and Dying (I took this class and I loved it! You will visit a mortuary), Spirituality (Again, a wonderful class.), Conflict Negotiation, and Homelessness (this class is very new). Throughout the program many classes will have case analysis assignments where you will be given a vignette and you will be required to conduct a bio-psycho-social-spiritual assessment.  

In terms of concentrations, the child, youth, and family services and integrated health concentrations are highly impacted. Since you mentioned interest in selected integrated health you will be encouraged to selected adulthood and aging, but ultimately if you stick with your selection they will place you in integrated health. 

I submitted my application several days before Thanksgiving. I received notification that I was selected into the 3 year program the last week in January. 

Here is what I know of the 2-year program:

- it is intense because you will have 5 classes plus internship

- it is possible that you will NOT be able to work 

- expect to take classes on Monday and Friday and 16 hours of internship on Tuesday-Thursday

- Foundation year internship will NOT be your choice

- Advance year internship will be your choice, meaning whatever is your interest (i.e., outpatient, medical social work, a particular population)

- You will have the option to do a thesis (quantitative or qualitative studies, grant proposal, curriculum development, policy analysis) or a macro project (working with 4 other students in your cohort)

- there is a Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health stipend available for the advance year internship (apply!)

If there is anything else that I didn't mention and you have questions, ask away!

Jax you are rad on a very high level, thank you so much for this helpful reply. Actually I checked my status for CSULB today and it said I was offered provisional admission, but I never got an email and efforts to log in and verify the admission all failed to work... So I have no idea if it's a glitch or real.

another issue I'm having and I'm hoping another UCLA applicant can chime in is with their application. I applied on the 2nd of October and all my LORs had been sent by the like 10th of October, then in mid November UCLA grad admissions says they are switching to a new application system.... Yeah mid application season. I log on to the new application just to see if my files are there and it's giving me the opportunity to request LORs! I have no idea what is gong on but I doubt my recommenders kept the LORs they wrote, and if UCLA lost them it would really be awful. I hope to hear from them Monday I also emailed the department but I swear each time in the past I've called over some problem with the app, the grad division says call the department of SW, and the department of SW says to call the grad division. I just don't have room stress wise to deal with the idea my app could be missing stuff because of their incompetence... if that's what's up. Rant done.

8 hours ago, BackNSchool83 said:

Jax you are rad on a very high level, thank you so much for this helpful reply. Actually I checked my status for CSULB today and it said I was offered provisional admission, but I never got an email and efforts to log in and verify the admission all failed to work... So I have no idea if it's a glitch or real.

another issue I'm having and I'm hoping another UCLA applicant can chime in is with their application. I applied on the 2nd of October and all my LORs had been sent by the like 10th of October, then in mid November UCLA grad admissions says they are switching to a new application system.... Yeah mid application season. I log on to the new application just to see if my files are there and it's giving me the opportunity to request LORs! I have no idea what is gong on but I doubt my recommenders kept the LORs they wrote, and if UCLA lost them it would really be awful. I hope to hear from them Monday I also emailed the department but I swear each time in the past I've called over some problem with the app, the grad division says call the department of SW, and the department of SW says to call the grad division. I just don't have room stress wise to deal with the idea my app could be missing stuff because of their incompetence... if that's what's up. Rant done.

I'm glad that you found my comments helpful. While I cannot speak on UCLA, I will say this about CSULB provision: my best friend received provisional admission as well. If I can remember correctly she applied to the 2- year program and once they offered her provisional admission she said they offered her admission into the 3-year cohort (she accepted immediately). Also, she did not find out that she was officially accepted into the program until May or June. That is likely because a lot of the students who were accepted did not decline until May or June. When a student receives admissions but declines that's good news for prospective students who received provisional admissions. I recommend that you call the department to verify your provisional admission. 

15 hours ago, BackNSchool83 said:

I received an email stated if your application was completed and LOR were submitted, then you don't have to do anything. So you shouldn't worry, but if it helps, call them tomorrow. Congrats on your admission to CSULB!

Jax is there any chance I wouldn't get my choice of program for 2nd year? I have no interest in any other form of social work than mental health, I want to be a therapist so, has anyone ever not been given their preferred area of focus? That's my only concern about CSULB.

As for UCLA they lost all my data, all the docs, told me to start over! So I did but the deadline fast approaches and I'm really blown away they screwed up so bad.

6 minutes ago, BackNSchool83 said:

Jax is there any chance I wouldn't get my choice of program for 2nd year? I have no interest in any other form of social work than mental health, I want to be a therapist so, has anyone ever not been given their preferred area of focus? That's my only concern about CSULB.

As for UCLA they lost all my data, all the docs, told me to start over! So I did but the deadline fast approaches and I'm really blown away they screwed up so bad.

That's really odd! I submitted my application before they switch everything over, so they just gave me the new log-in but they have all of my documents. I am sorry that happened to you!

Thanks, yeah it was a bummer. The main thing that threw me off was they told me on the phone in November my app was ok and already submitted and safe. Then I fond out it wasn't. Today they approved my new application and I've got 1 recommender I'm still waiting on. I made the poor lady at the grad office hear every detail of why I was upset, but I think she was the one who originally told me I was good to go and totally wrong. According to UCLA, the company they used to operate the app software aka decision desk went out of business mis season. Anyways at least it's fixed and Tiffany at the SW department did eventually reply to me and was apologetic about the situation which was nice. At first they were trying to blame me till I showed them their emails and explained in more detail what was up. Just beware and maybe double check. As for LB State it's very tempting.

Hello hello! 

I am nervous, excited, and somehow already tired of waiting. I have applied to 6 schools: University of Chicago SSA, University of Denver, University of Maryland, Baltimore, University of Madison, Wisconsin, Portland State, and Loyola Chicago. Everything has been submitted except my Madison Statement but am planning on submitting that this weekend. 

I am trying to not get too attached to any particular school but it would be nice to go to UofC as I already live up the street! 

Hannah 

Hello all, 

Currently applying to csuf and csulb.. very worried because I have low gpa (2.8). Really want to get into csuf. I have a year of experience advocating for mental health services for dualdiagnosis tay population and a few months of volunteer work at homeless shelter. What are y'all thoughts ?? 

Have any Columbia applicants received an email saying their application was complete? 

All my materials are in and were submitted before the deadline but I never saw an email about completion like I did from NYU. I'm thinking about email the office!