Critical Language Scholarship 2018

Mateng

22 hours ago, TwentyNine said:

The first alternate promotions should be this week, Tuesday or later. Since there is only one CLS site in Japan, and therefore fewer people who might drop, it might be good for me to assume that it's this week or never for me.

Fingers crossed!

Best of luck! I am waiting on alternate for Russian. They added two sites this year for a totally of four.

2 hours ago, ItsAllTheyHad said:

Best of luck! I am waiting on alternate for Russian. They added two sites this year for a totally of four.

@ItsAllTheyHad I find that very interesting. Normally they have two sites inside Russia. Now they have four sites, two of them not even in Russia. Are they trying to encourage more Russian-proficient learners as relations between the US and Russia get rockier? That's a significant development since every other language outside of Arabic and Chinese only gets one or two sites per year. 

On 3/12/2018 at 1:16 PM, dragon_seed said:

@ItsAllTheyHad I find that very interesting. Normally they have two sites inside Russia. Now they have four sites, two of them not even in Russia. Are they trying to encourage more Russian-proficient learners as relations between the US and Russia get rockier? That's a significant development since every other language outside of Arabic and Chinese only gets one or two sites per year. 

I believe this is absolutely why. IIE and Project GO, a program for U.S. Military cadets and midshipmen, do not send their personnel to Russia, Instead opting for Central Asia and the Baltics for security reasons.

Do you think they’ll be sending out first round alternates this week? Also this is kind of late but seeing the increase to two CLS sites for Korea makes me think the US is starting to take the tensions on the peninsula more seriously.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:18 AM, dczubie said:

Accepted for Japanese!

Congrats to all the finalists for all the Programs! As an alumni of the Japanese Program y’all are a lucky bunch. The senseis, homestay families, and staff are all awesome and we all had a fantastic summer. They’ll have a bunch of info sessions for you guys, but if you have any questions or want tips feel free to DM me. 

Hey everyone! I've been creeping on this thread for awhile now, but I was an alternate that recently got promoted to a finalist for Chinese!! I'm super excited to have made it this time around (I was super heartbroken when I got rejected the first time last year ^-^;) but if in the future people are looking back at this thread and see this, don't give up!! I've been so nervous since I got the alternate e-mail, but I am ecstatic I am going to participate in the program this year!

As a side note, I'll be going to Dalian University of Technology, so let me know if there are any groups I need to join! I requested access to join the CLS Chinese Facebook group and am waiting to be accepted.

Best of luck to the rest of the alternates, don't give up hope!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

I was promoted from an alternate to a finalist for the CLS Indonesia program. 

AKA don't give up hope if you're an alternate. I know when I was an alternate I hovered over this forum consistently, but it works out.