Critical Language Scholarship 2018

Mateng

7 minutes ago, Vlv12014 said:

Alternate for advanced Korean! Anyone know what the odds are for getting an alternate spot? Congratulations to everyone!!

I think alternates still have a good chance! Program dates may be conflicting for some finalists, or since notifications were sent out a bit late I think? 

3 hours ago, trine said:

placed as an alternate for CLS Indonesia!

does anyone know the chances of getting finalist?

Someone on the Facebook group said that he was a Korean finalist in a past year. His institution had 27 students, and about 4 or 5 of them were alternates.

No idea how big the alternate pool is, though.

13 hours ago, tigerfire310 said:

Made an account just now but i've been following this thread for a while haha.

I'm also an alternate for advanced Japanese. Does anyone know the chances of getting in off the alternates list?

Nope,  but the anecdotes I've heard make it sound like it's a decent chance. I'd guess that we Japanese alternates have a bit of a hard time, since there is only one program in Japan, but don't give up yet!

A poll on the Facebook applicants group showed no more than 6 known alternates in any program so far, and program alumni say that they saw a decent number of applicants in their classes. Some got their notifications as late as May... I don't know if I can play chicken for that long, but if I get an email then I will definitely see what I can do.