2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

What better place to find people to share application anxiety with? I haven't seen another thread like this yet so here we go.

Which programs are you applying to?

Where are you from?

What are your biggest concerns about applications?

I'll start. I'm applying to a grand total of two schools (I'm obviously crazy) because I want to be on campus and I have to stay in VA. I'm looking at JMU and Longwood and honestly don't know what my chances are but I'm going to try to be optimistic. Figured I'd start applications early on CSDCAS but maaaan this process is waaay slower than I had anticipated! I'm so excited for grad school though!

Hi! This is my first time replying, but I'll definitely share application anxiety :)

Which programs are you applying to? Miami University, University of Cincinnati, The Ohio State University, and possibly Bowling Green State University 

Where are you from? I'm from Cincinnati

What are your biggest concerns about applications?  My GRE and GPA are on a lower side of the scale... :unsure:

First time applying and really nervous....

Which programs are you applying to? University of Louisiana at Lafayette (yikes I know, yes just one school)

Where are you from? Louisiana

What are your biggest concerns about applications? Only applying to one school.

First time applying!

Which programs are you applying to? Temple University, NYU, Elmhurst College, Teacher's College, SFSU, CUNY Brooklyn, and Portland State (all over the damn country, I know)

Where are you from? I'm from New York and did my undergrad at Temple

What are your biggest concerns about applications? I feel like my stats and experience are all pretty standard. I also haven't taken the GRE yet because I'm an animal who loves to wait until the last minute to do everything

21 minutes ago, sabrono said:

First time applying!

Which programs are you applying to? Temple University, NYU, Elmhurst College, Teacher's College, SFSU, CUNY Brooklyn, and Portland State (all over the damn country, I know)

Where are you from? I'm from New York and did my undergrad at Temple

What are your biggest concerns about applications? I feel like my stats and experience are all pretty standard. I also haven't taken the GRE yet because I'm an animal who loves to wait until the last minute to do everything

I am taking the GRE for the second time on December 2nd so you're not the only one! 

Hands down my biggest concerns about my applications are

- Letters of Rec: I asked professors in the CSD major whose classes I got As in and did really well.. I just am nervous that they do not know me well and my letters will be pretty generic. 

- Statement of Purpose: I really am having trouble with how to stand out! I know I have strong grades and stats, I just don't want to be another boring SOP. Plus, I have so much trouble with staying concise. I feel like there's not enough room to fit everything in (Illinois for example has a 500 word limit!). I'm trying so hard not to be cliche too but it's hard when the actual reason I want to be an SLP is to "help people". Gotta figure out how to express that in better words.

- Lack of real-world experience: I never was able to secure a volunteering position with an SLP. All I have are shadowing hours... again, I just feel very generic as an applicant and I feel as though i'm gonna look like someone who did the bare minimum. However, I have babysat for many many years so i'm considering showing that as real-world experience in my SOP. 

Hi I am from Texas and applying to a big range of schools (6) all over the country. My biggest concerns are not know exactly what constitutes a "good" school versus a "safety" school, not standing out, and funding. Best of luck to all applying! 

Applying to graduate schools for Fall 2018!

GPA: 3.95 

GRE: 165V 159Q 4.5AW

Applying to: The University of Texas / University of Texas at Dallas / University of Houston  / Columbia Teacher's College / Vanderbilt / University of Washington

Edited by bevo18

First time applying here! 

Which programs are you applying to? California State University San Marcos and Northridge, Fresno State, NYU (the online program), and NOVA (another online program)! Total of 5! 

Where are you from? California! Obviously I want to state in my home state or do an online program where I can visit on the summers or a few weeks. 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My GPA, I haven't calculated it to the exact T, but my undergrad and CSD GPA is around 3.4-3.6 (still in the process of taking 3 classes). My letters of rec, majority of them are from professionals instead of professors. My GRE that I still have yet to take! 

I have a bunch of experience, but hopefully they'll take that into consideration! 

Which programs are you applying to? UA, Univ of Texas at Dallas, UNC chapel Hill, Temple, Baylor, NMSU, Northern Arizona University, Penn State. All over the country! 

Where are you from? Maryland! Sadly, there are no great options here for out of field applicants :(

What are your biggest concerns about applications? Being an out of field applicant, I do not have too much experience directly relating to speech pathology. I have extensive experience working with kids and doing research with them though! I am also worried about my low quant score. Hopefully my high verbal score will make up for it. 

Good luck to everyone! 

Where are you from? Indiana!

Which programs are you applying to? Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, St. Xavier, Rush, Purdue, Nebraska, Texas-Dallas, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Iowa (11...yikes..why)

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My GPA is a little low. I'm also worried I'm going to forget something or miss something and not submit a transcript or something since I'm applying to so many programs (thank god 6 of them are on CSDCAS!)

I'm a first-time applicant applying to SDSU, CSUF, CSULB, UW-Seattle, and Loma Linda. I'm from California, and definitely would want to stay there. I think the thing I'm most scared of for applications is the thought that I may not have completed them thoroughly enough and I get rejected based on a technicality or something not to do with actual consideration of my application.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:30 AM, Luu said:

Hi! This is my first time replying, but I'll definitely share application anxiety :)

Which programs are you applying to? Miami University, University of Cincinnati, The Ohio State University, and possibly Bowling Green State University 

Where are you from? I'm from Cincinnati

What are your biggest concerns about applications?  My GRE and GPA are on a lower side of the scale... :unsure:

Have you thought of retaking the GRE? I considered it but that test was so awful, I really never want to take it again. At a recent open house I attended, the admissions director said that they consider the AW score most heavily, then the verbal score, then quantitative. 

On 11/9/2017 at 11:09 PM, Felice said:

Which programs are you applying to? UA, Univ of Texas at Dallas, UNC chapel Hill, Temple, Baylor, NMSU, Northern Arizona University, Penn State. All over the country! 

Where are you from? Maryland! Sadly, there are no great options here for out of field applicants :(

What are your biggest concerns about applications? Being an out of field applicant, I do not have too much experience directly relating to speech pathology. I have extensive experience working with kids and doing research with them though! I am also worried about my low quant score. Hopefully my high verbal score will make up for it. 

Good luck to everyone! 

I'm not too far from you. I live in Richmond and JMU and Longwood are the closest schools to me. Were you thinking of moving to another state for grad school, or doing an online program? I've heard they like applicants with different types of experience, especially in working with people! I have a background in teaching literacy myself, and I am hoping that counts for something! Good luck!

On 11/9/2017 at 4:07 PM, bevo18 said:

Hi I am from Texas and applying to a big range of schools (6) all over the country. My biggest concerns are not know exactly what constitutes a "good" school versus a "safety" school, not standing out, and funding. Best of luck to all applying! 

Applying to graduate schools for Fall 2018!

GPA: 3.95 

GRE: 165V 159Q 4.5AW

Applying to: The University of Texas / University of Texas at Dallas / University of Houston  / Columbia Teacher's College / Vanderbilt / University of Washington

Funding is a HUGE deal. Grad school is so expensive and very few schools offer anything other than full-time schedules. I considered applying to more schools but many were too expensive or did not have any type of funding available. This is the biggest reason for staying in-state. Good luck! BTW, your GRE scores are insane. Well done!

On 11/9/2017 at 3:12 PM, futureSLPhopefullylol said:

Hands down my biggest concerns about my applications are

- Letters of Rec: I asked professors in the CSD major whose classes I got As in and did really well.. I just am nervous that they do not know me well and my letters will be pretty generic. 

- Statement of Purpose: I really am having trouble with how to stand out! I know I have strong grades and stats, I just don't want to be another boring SOP. Plus, I have so much trouble with staying concise. I feel like there's not enough room to fit everything in (Illinois for example has a 500 word limit!). I'm trying so hard not to be cliche too but it's hard when the actual reason I want to be an SLP is to "help people". Gotta figure out how to express that in better words.

- Lack of real-world experience: I never was able to secure a volunteering position with an SLP. All I have are shadowing hours... again, I just feel very generic as an applicant and I feel as though i'm gonna look like someone who did the bare minimum. However, I have babysat for many many years so i'm considering showing that as real-world experience in my SOP. 

I can 100% relate to this. I took all of my prerequisites online and, while my professors agreed to give me letters of rec, it is definitely a concern that they do not really know my character! One professor actually declined because she said she didn't know me well enough and she said it could hurt my chances. It may help to have a letter of rec from a boss or someone else related to your professional experience. Good luck!

7 hours ago, SLPin2020 said:

I'm not too far from you. I live in Richmond and JMU and Longwood are the closest schools to me. Were you thinking of moving to another state for grad school, or doing an online program? I've heard they like applicants with different types of experience, especially in working with people! I have a background in teaching literacy myself, and I am hoping that counts for something! Good luck!

I would be moving to another state! I am just looking for schools that will accept me into the full master's program, not just one that will allow me to do my prereqs. Maybe I should consider Longwood! Good luck to you! 

Hey guys! First time applicant, disgustingly panicked about the entire process lol.

I'm a Spanish/Communicative Disorders double major, from California. Stats are in my signature! I'd like to stay here if possible, but if I somehow get funding from out of state schools that'd be swell too. I'm applying to Fresno State, San Jose State, Arizona State, and Washington State.

My biggest concerns are all over the place...currently it's my SOP since I feel like I just have no idea where to start! I'm afraid it'll be too generic...I'm also really worried that I'll get my application kicked out over something dumb, like a class entered incorrectly on an application. :/ Also, I'm honestly afraid my stats aren't good enough because California is so stupidly competitive!

Good luck everyone!!! Let's all complain about this dumb process together ;)

Hello all!

Like most, I'm panicking about this whole application process, so I'm happy there's a small place to vent and share a little bit.

Which programs are you applying to? I'll be applying to a grand total of seven schools, which honestly makes me feel a bit crazy because I still don't feel like that's enough, even though it is. I'll be applying to CSU Los Angeles, CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge, CSU Fresno, CSU Chico, CSU Fullerton, and lastly but definitely not least, my top choice SDSU.

Where are you from? California 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My biggest concern by far are my GRE scores. I'm retaking it on the 22nd (wish me luck!), but my scores from the first exam were not great, and I'm too embarrassed to share them especially after seeing all of your amazing scores, good job guys! I'm happy with my AW score, but the other two I'm not too proud of. I do have a 3.97 GPA, but California is so competitive, so I'm highly anxious about getting accepted somewhere. At this point, I'll go anywhere that accepts me (but it'll be a dream to go to SDSU). And like a few others have mentioned before I'm also nervous about missing something throughout the application process and getting my application thrown out because of it.

Good luck to everyone! Glad we can all panic together!

Edited by gianinainabottle

On 11/11/2017 at 10:45 AM, SLPin2020 said:

Have you thought of retaking the GRE? I considered it but that test was so awful, I really never want to take it again. At a recent open house I attended, the admissions director said that they consider the AW score most heavily, then the verbal score, then quantitative. 

I actually did retake it...and the scores were the same :/  But I'm happy to hear that the AW score is considered heavily compared to others, because my quantitative is the worst (I was below the 50th percentile), but my writing was in the 90th percentile range. 

On 11/9/2017 at 5:36 PM, katherinexo said:

First time applying here! 

Which programs are you applying to? California State University San Marcos and Northridge, Fresno State, NYU (the online program), and NOVA (another online program)! Total of 5! 

Where are you from? California! Obviously I want to state in my home state or do an online program where I can visit on the summers or a few weeks. 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My GPA, I haven't calculated it to the exact T, but my undergrad and CSD GPA is around 3.4-3.6 (still in the process of taking 3 classes). My letters of rec, majority of them are from professionals instead of professors. My GRE that I still have yet to take! 

I have a bunch of experience, but hopefully they'll take that into consideration! 

The fact that you have a lot of experience is a really good thing...at least that's what people keep telling me :) Good luck with your GRE! 

1 hour ago, Luu said:

I actually did retake it...and the scores were the same :/  But I'm happy to hear that the AW score is considered heavily compared to others, because my quantitative is the worst (I was below the 50th percentile), but my writing was in the 90th percentile range. 

You are not alone! My quantitative was a 143 (14th percentile) :( . It sucks because otherwise my scores were pretty good. 

On 11/11/2017 at 10:45 AM, SLPin2020 said:

Did she say anything about just getting the 300 score? My quant score is vastly different from my verbal and writing score but I was able to get a 300. Thanks! 

I was going to apply to all Florida schools come January if I didn't get into UCF's  Spring 2018 program, but, luckily, I did. Whew. First time applying, and it was so stressful!  The process is so draining.

For those of you who are bilingual, emphasize this repeatedly throughout your application. The field is desperate for bilingual therapists -- you have to let the programs know that you are a valuable asset for the field because of this. Know your worth.

Edited by NatRose

Which programs are you applying to? I'm applying local because I want to stay in Lubbock/West Texas area. My four schools of choice are ENMU, TTU, TWU, ACU.

Where are you from? Currently in Lubbock for the past 5 years. 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? MY GRE!! I have a fairly strong resume with volunteer and job experience as a therapy tech & strong recommendation letters. 

Need and want advice from y'all if you think I have a chance on getting in! This is my second time applying! My first round I was wait-listed to University of Oklahoma. Should i retake GRE?! I've taken it twice and have gotten the same exact AW score.

Experience: "Autism Tutor" in undergrad & currently a full time therapy tech at a Rehab facility 
cGPA: 3.6
Major GPA in COMD:  3.6
GRE: 146Q / 152V / 3.0AW

I finally feel like I can post on this thread having just finished the GRE! 

Where are you applying? I'm applying to four schools: New York Medical College, SUNY New Paltz, College of St. Rose and NYU on campus. 

Where are you from? NYC born and raised!

What are your concerns? I'm worried that I'll get edged out by NYC competition and get rejected from all my schools! I have a back up plan for a reapplication year but I'd still like to start grad school sooner rather than later. I'm also feeling some floating anxiety about CSDCAS and deadlines. 

Cummulative GPA: 3.53, last 60: 4.0 

Post-BA: 4.0 

GRE: 162V 151Q still waiting on AWA

Experience: Working on a research team on a classroom based literacy intervention, administering the CELF, PLS, and Woodcock to Pre-K and K, counselor for a selective mutism camp. 

Good luck everyone!!