2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

On 4/2/2018 at 5:46 PM, Lindsey406 said:

Has anyone gone to an open house? Is it weird to bring a parent with? I’d like to bring one of my parents to get their opinion before i make a final decision.

Went to an open house about a couple weeks ago, there were quite a few parents/significant others there. I would ask the program if it would be appropriate though because some may not want anyone but applicants there. Can't hurt to be safe!

hey guys! wondering if you guys could give your take on this:

I applied to Tennessee State's online program for speech and haven't heard anything yet. I emailed Dr. Terrie Gibson, who is in charge of admissions and asked when applicants would be notified of admission one way or another. Today she emailed me back in response and I am a bit confused as to what this means.

She said "Applicants have been notified. Thank you for your interest in our program." 

So does this mean that I have been rejected? I emailed her back and asked to clarify what this email meant.

Thanks and let me know what you guys think!:)

Edited by sarahh46

I'm waitlisted at 2 schools and rejected everywhere else. I emailed my top choice reminding them I'm still interested and they replied saying that I'm "very high" on the list. I feel like they'd only say that if they were confident I'd get in off the waitlist. So now I'm waiting pins and needles as I wait for their final decision after the 15th.

44 minutes ago, aprilkookaburra said:

Hi all I am not applying yet, will be in the fall but had a question for you guys about application costs... 

Where do you find out how much it is to apply? What are the typical application fees?  Thanks! :) 

Fees definitely vary by program. Any CSDCAS schools have application fees built into the CSDCAS application. However, if a school has a supplemental application you may have to pay a fee for CSDCAS and the supplement (I did). However, one of my schools waived the application fee if I attended an online information session. Some schools may have priority deadlines with cheaper fees. In my experience the typical fee was around $60, but they ranged from $0 to $125. All this information should be somewhere on each program's website.

Edited by bibliophile222

41 minutes ago, aprilkookaburra said:

Hi all I am not applying yet, will be in the fall but had a question for you guys about application costs... 

Where do you find out how much it is to apply? What are the typical application fees?  Thanks! :) 

I spent around $150 per school (1 set of GRE scores, 2 transcripts, & application fee).

On 3/28/2018 at 4:39 PM, TurboDog15 said:

Hey, I also applied here and haven't heard a peep. I called two weeks ago & they said decisions were going out last week..but I know there is also an interview involved? 

I am not interested in attending now that I have another offer, but if I hear something I will most definitely let you know! 

Have you still not heard anything? I haven't heard from them at all! I didn't know there was an interview involved...I tried to stay clear of those schools, haha! I am in the same boat as you, not  too interested in the school but would like to have more than one option. Also, I'm not too happy with them. They have been rude to me in the admissions office when I called about a transcript mix up and the CSD secretary never wrote me back when I asked if all my materials were delivered so my application could be incomplete for all I know!

Congrats to everyone hearing back from programs! I'm currently trying to choose between SFSU and CSULB. I've been doing research on both programs online to see what's a better fit, but I'm still at a loss. Does anyone have any opinions on either program?

On 4/6/2018 at 3:14 PM, sarahh46 said:

hey guys! wondering if you guys could give your take on this:

I applied to Tennessee State's online program for speech and haven't heard anything yet. I emailed Dr. Terrie Gibson, who is in charge of admissions and asked when applicants would be notified of admission one way or another. Today she emailed me back in response and I am a bit confused as to what this means.

She said "Applicants have been notified. Thank you for your interest in our program." 

So does this mean that I have been rejected? I emailed her back and asked to clarify what this email meant.

Thanks and let me know what you guys think!:)

I'm not sure what the email from her means, but I also applied for the online program and I haven't heard back yet! I was under the impression that since it doesn't start until Spring 2018, we wouldn't hear back until closer to the fall. I feel like she just didn't read your email... I've heard Tennessee can be a bit disorganized. :wacko: But I could be wrong! Let me know if you find out any info :)

On 07/04/2018 at 8:58 AM, soontobeslp2018 said:

I'm waitlisted at 2 schools and rejected everywhere else. I emailed my top choice reminding them I'm still interested and they replied saying that I'm "very high" on the list. I feel like they'd only say that if they were confident I'd get in off the waitlist. So now I'm waiting pins and needles as I wait for their final decision after the 15th.

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you. Rejected everywhere, but waitlisted at 2. I've been wondering if I should email the schools and tell them I'm still very interested. Does anyone know if this makes a difference at all? I also feel like by now they should have a good understanding of where we sit on the list...and do they start notifying the waitlist after the 15th?

12 minutes ago, SLP_SP said:

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you. Rejected everywhere, but waitlisted at 2. I've been wondering if I should email the schools and tell them I'm still very interested. Does anyone know if this makes a difference at all? I also feel like by now they should have a good understanding of where we sit on the list...and do they start notifying the waitlist after the 15th?

I highly recommend e-mailing the schools! I e-mailed my first choice to reaffirm my interest and why they are my top choice and they thanked me for the e-mail and explained to me a little bit more about the wait list. I don't really think that it bumped me up on the wait list or anything but it cannot hurt to keep your name fresh in their minds.  They also told me that we will likely hear after the 15th! Good luck to you :) 

26 minutes ago, Felice said:

I highly recommend e-mailing the schools! I e-mailed my first choice to reaffirm my interest and why they are my top choice and they thanked me for the e-mail and explained to me a little bit more about the wait list. I don't really think that it bumped me up on the wait list or anything but it cannot hurt to keep your name fresh in their minds.  They also told me that we will likely hear after the 15th! Good luck to you :) 

I emailed my top choice and they told me roughly where I am on the waitlist. Schools really like hearing that you’re still interested 

On 4/7/2018 at 7:51 PM, #SLP2B said:

Anyone have any insight into what east bay's program looks like? Ive heard good things but not sure.  Trying to decide between SFSU and East Bay! :)

Hey! I have a friend that's currently completing her bachelor's at East Bay and likes it. For grad programs, she only applied to SoCal schools though. (She's from there though, so not sure if that says anything about East Bay's program.) What are your thoughts on SFSU?

3 hours ago, Slpmama said:

Anyone apply to a transitional program which is where bachelors not in CSD. Any info on Loma Linda or university of the pacific programs?

I did my postbacc at Chapman, so I can share some insight on that if you're interested. I don't have much on Loma Linda or University of the Pacific other than the fact that Univ of the Pacific's grad program is like $120k

4 hours ago, tmkwong said:

Hey! I have a friend that's currently completing her bachelor's at East Bay and likes it. For grad programs, she only applied to SoCal schools though. (She's from there though, so not sure if that says anything about East Bay's program.) What are your thoughts on SFSU?

Thanks so much! And I’m finishing my undergrad at SF. The masters program is a little disorganized but people seem to enjoy it. If anyone is debating on going here I would just think about your housing situation. It’s extremely expensive to live here.

Edited by #SLP2B
Wanted to elaborate

16 hours ago, StPaulCCC said:

Are you in the program?

Are you looking at UO? I went to the open house on Friday and was very impressed by the staff, students, and clinic. Everyone is very nice and supportive, the program provides some really unique qualities, but it is very expensive for out of state students.

7 hours ago, #SLP2B said:

Thanks so much! And I’m finishing my undergrad at SF. The masters program is a little disorganized but people seem to enjoy it. If anyone is debating on going here I would just think about your housing situation. It’s extremely expensive to live here.

Thanks! I'm originally from there, so I'd be able to live at home if I chose SFSU. Do you know if it's a cohort structure? I'm choosing between their program and CSULB's, so I'm trying to gauge which would be a better program. But that's good to know that they enjoy it despite it being a little disorganized. 

4 hours ago, tmkwong said:

Thanks! I'm originally from there, so I'd be able to live at home if I chose SFSU. Do you know if it's a cohort structure? I'm choosing between their program and CSULB's, so I'm trying to gauge which would be a better program. But that's good to know that they enjoy it despite it being a little disorganized. 

Yeah I believe it’s a cohort structure. I’ve heard mixed reviews but most people like it, but lots of us say the undergrad program is much more organized than their grad program. I’ve also heard good things about Long Beach too so I’m not sure which one is better. 

4 hours ago, #SLP2B said:

Yeah I believe it’s a cohort structure. I’ve heard mixed reviews but most people like it, but lots of us say the undergrad program is much more organized than their grad program. I’ve also heard good things about Long Beach too so I’m not sure which one is better. 

Thanks for the input!

On 4/7/2018 at 3:42 PM, SLP_classof2020 said:

Have you still not heard anything? I haven't heard from them at all! I didn't know there was an interview involved...I tried to stay clear of those schools, haha! I am in the same boat as you, not  too interested in the school but would like to have more than one option. Also, I'm not too happy with them. They have been rude to me in the admissions office when I called about a transcript mix up and the CSD secretary never wrote me back when I asked if all my materials were delivered so my application could be incomplete for all I know!

Hey, I haven’t heard anything!! Yes from the beginning I didn’t find them to be super organized,  either. I kind of forgot about them bc already accepted another offer! Good luck & let me know if you hear! 

Hey everyone! I just heard that I got accepted off the waitlist at University of Montana! I'm so excited, it's my only acceptance and I will definitely be attending. It was one of my top choices! Has anyone else been accepted and knows if there is a Facebook group or anything? Thanks for everyone's support on here. It's always nice to see people in the same boat.