2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

11 minutes ago, SLP_SP said:

Hey everyone! I just heard that I got accepted off the waitlist at University of Montana! I'm so excited, it's my only acceptance and I will definitely be attending. It was one of my top choices! Has anyone else been accepted and knows if there is a Facebook group or anything? Thanks for everyone's support on here. It's always nice to see people in the same boat.

I am in the same boat! Just found out today and also it is my only acceptance. I haven't seen or heard of a Facebook group, but I also haven't looked on facebook. Let me know if you find one!

I just got accepted off the waitlist at the University of Utah! I was already accepted to Idaho State and was planning on going there, but now am conflicted. Utah is way more expensive! :unsure: Anyone have any thoughts?

I am deciding between USF, UNC Chapel Hill, MGH and NYMC.  USF is by far the cheapest (by a landslide), but all of their classes are 3 hour evening classes, and I don't know how I feel about this.  I don't think you learn as well this way.  I'm interested in the medical aspect, but every source has said that which school you go to doesn't matter.   The cost is important to me because I'm relying on loans and outside scholarships for living expenses, travel expenses, etc.  I work but I only make like $11/hour right now.

What do you think about having all evening classes?  Do you know how common this is among other programs? 

The purpose is so that you are free during the day for clinicals. USF has over 200 clinical placement sites!

Does anyone have any first hand experience about the other programs?  If there are any great advantages?

1 hour ago, Carlee said:

I am deciding between USF, UNC Chapel Hill, MGH and NYMC.  USF is by far the cheapest (by a landslide), but all of their classes are 3 hour evening classes, and I don't know how I feel about this.  I don't think you learn as well this way.  I'm interested in the medical aspect, but every source has said that which school you go to doesn't matter.   The cost is important to me because I'm relying on loans and outside scholarships for living expenses, travel expenses, etc.  I work but I only make like $11/hour right now.

What do you think about having all evening classes?  Do you know how common this is among other programs? 

The purpose is so that you are free during the day for clinicals. USF has over 200 clinical placement sites!

Does anyone have any first hand experience about the other programs?  If there are any great advantages?

I go to a school with all evening classes! i don't mind it and i think it's common. we do clinical in the day and class at night which can be tiring, but then we also get some days to sleep in and chill. 

Has anyone received an acceptance from the department and then received an e-mail saying it has gone to the graduate college for review? I am not too worried as it seems they are just checking the GPA requirement, official transcript, and degree confirmation. I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this... 

37 minutes ago, Felice said:

Has anyone received an acceptance from the department and then received an e-mail saying it has gone to the graduate college for review? I am not too worried as it seems they are just checking the GPA requirement, official transcript, and degree confirmation. I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this... 

Yes, the same thing happened to me. I received an email of acceptance from the department, then a few days later an email with the "official" acceptance from the graduate school as a whole. I think it's just a formality. 

I was accepted into Pacific University and Portland State! (Tier 1 waitlist for both). While I’m over the moon excited, I now have to make a tough decision..I will be deciding by this weekend. Good luck everyone :D 

Edited by McKenzers

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 10:27 AM, sabrono said:

First time applying!

Which programs are you applying to? Temple University, NYU, Elmhurst College, Teacher's College, SFSU, CUNY Brooklyn, and Portland State (all over the damn country, I know)

Where are you from? I'm from New York and did my undergrad at Temple

What are your biggest concerns about applications? I feel like my stats and experience are all pretty standard. I also haven't taken the GRE yet because I'm an animal who loves to wait until the last minute to do everything

I would love to hear where you got in and where you are going! I’m from CT and will be applying around the same areas. 

On 7/4/2018 at 1:20 PM, gillianfoley said:

I would love to hear where you got in and where you are going! I’m from CT and will be applying around the same areas. 

Hey!!

So I ended up being waitlisted at Elmhurst and rejected from Mercy, but SOMEHOW got in to 4 others and committed to Teachers College. I didn't end up finishing my application to Temple and SFSU just because I ran out of money lmao. I had a decent amount of research experience from undergrad and a background of working with multicultural/lingual groups so I think that had a good amount of pull with the NYC schools. Best of luck to you!! The one kind of specific piece of advice I have is to avoid spending the money on Brooklyn College entirely. Their whole application process was so disorganized (and expensive!) I can't imagine what their program is like, and I've heard the same from friends who applied to entirely different programs. I've called and emailed them several times and to this day I'm still getting emails about applying for financial aid, sending in immunization records, and registering for classes from BC as if I committed. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:04 AM, aelwood14 said:

Which programs are you applying to? The University of Montana, Idaho State University, Northern Colorado University, Pacific University (Interview 2/16/18), University of Wyoming, University of Oregon, and Northern Arizona University.

Where are you from? Montana

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My biggest concern is that I have a low undergraduate GPA (2.68). However, with that being said, I was unaware that I have a learning disability and was diagnosed at the age 24 with severe dyslexia.  Last year, I made the decision to go back to school, with the appropriate accommodations, to complete a post-bac leveling program. Thankfully, I was able to bring up my GPA and completed the courses with 3.98 GPA. I have also been an SLP-A for the past five years and I'm hoping my experience will help with my application.  However, I am still concerned my undergrad GPA will overshadow my post-bac GPA and my work experience. 

So let me just say that you are my hero! haha I graduated with a 2.64 in 2005... I am convinced I have ADHD but I'm currently in Japan so I'll wait until I go back to see someone. I love learning and I know I'm not stupid but I have a hard time concentrating on reading and it takes a longer time for me to absorb what I'm learning. I took classes after I graduated because I was considering pursuing OT (I got around a 3.5 GPA in those classes)  but then I realized I could work in therapy with one of my favorite things, language!!

I'm scared to death seeing all of these people with 3.8+, scared that they won't be good enough.

The one thing I do have that I hope will be an asset is my experience. I have worked as a CNA, TA in a lifeskills classroom, APCT in the ICU and now I'm teaching English in Japan. I hope that having years of experience in healthcare and education helps me... we'll see.

Btw, where did you get accepted??

• 2 months later...
On 7/29/2018 at 6:56 PM, Jess3863 said:

So let me just say that you are my hero! haha I graduated with a 2.64 in 2005... I am convinced I have ADHD but I'm currently in Japan so I'll wait until I go back to see someone. I love learning and I know I'm not stupid but I have a hard time concentrating on reading and it takes a longer time for me to absorb what I'm learning. I took classes after I graduated because I was considering pursuing OT (I got around a 3.5 GPA in those classes)  but then I realized I could work in therapy with one of my favorite things, language!!

I'm scared to death seeing all of these people with 3.8+, scared that they won't be good enough.

The one thing I do have that I hope will be an asset is my experience. I have worked as a CNA, TA in a lifeskills classroom, APCT in the ICU and now I'm teaching English in Japan. I hope that having years of experience in healthcare and education helps me... we'll see.

Btw, where did you get accepted??

Hi! Sorry for the late response! I was accepted at Portland State University and at Pacific U. Both are in PDX area. Never give up :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

Where are you applying? I'm only applying to three schools: Cal State East Bay, Sacramento State, and San Jose State.

Where are you from?  I'm in the Bay Area and stuck here because my partner has a great job here and I want to stay close to family. 

What are your concerns? Um, everything.

I live close to CSU East Bay so it would be great to go there. Plus, I'm doing my undergrad in SLHS there and I like the community. I volunteer at the Deaf school in Fremont and it would be easier to keep doing that if I was going to school close by. But it seems to me that they only let in a very few people who did their undergrad there. Sac State and San Jose look like they have good programs but the commute would be A LOT. 

I have strong grades and test scores (4.0 cumulative GPA; GRE scores 165 V, 159 Q, AWA 5.0) but I worry that my letters of rec won't be great, as I don't know many of my profs especially well. 

I'm terrified of missing deadlines or messing something up on CSDCAS. Applying to grad school is insanely complicated. I can't wait for this to be over with ?

11 hours ago, KFinch said:

I'm terrified of missing deadlines or messing something up on CSDCAS. Applying to grad school is insanely complicated. I can't wait for this to be over with ?

Ugh, you're so right! It feels like they make the application process so difficult on purpose just so they can weed out the less motivated applicants! I mean, what other possible reason is there for the existence of CSDCAS?