2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

Which programs are you applying to?

SDSU, University of Redlands, University of Colorado Boulder, Midwestern (IL), Northwestern, University of Oregon 

Where are you from?

San Diego, CA

What are your biggest concerns about applications?

The fact that I don't have a BA in SLP or anything related. Also the fact that I graduated undergrad in '11. I've taken leveling courses online so I hope my grades in those courses will show I'm serious about grad school. Also got a 3 on the GRE ANW.....

On 11/9/2017 at 7:09 PM, Felice said:

Which programs are you applying to? UA, Univ of Texas at Dallas, UNC chapel Hill, Temple, Baylor, NMSU, Northern Arizona University, Penn State. All over the country! 

Where are you from? Maryland! Sadly, there are no great options here for out of field applicants :(

What are your biggest concerns about applications? Being an out of field applicant, I do not have too much experience directly relating to speech pathology. I have extensive experience working with kids and doing research with them though! I am also worried about my low quant score. Hopefully my high verbal score will make up for it. 

Good luck to everyone! 

Hi! You caught my eye because I see you're applying to NMSU. I'm from the city and got my BA there in 2012, and a friend of mine did her graduate degree in SLP there. Good luck applying!

35 minutes ago, Soleil ت said:

Hi! You caught my eye because I see you're applying to NMSU. I'm from the city and got my BA there in 2012, and a friend of mine did her graduate degree in SLP there. Good luck applying!

Hello! Good luck to you as well, awesome GRE scores! Would you happen to know if your friend had a good experience there? I have never been to NMSU, so any insight is welcome! 

Hi everyone! I'm a first-time applicant, currently taking a post-bacc year because my undergrad was Linguistics.

So I'm kind of panicking a bit because I am a born procrastinator and just started the application process a few days ago. Three of my schools use the CSDCAS application, which is truly terrible. I spent over an hour yesterday just entering my courses, which is pointless because they get the transcripts anyways. I'm applying to UVM, BU, and Northwestern (I think I'm being way too optimistic, but oh well) via CSDCAS and also applying to the NYU online program and UMass Amherst--leaning towards UMass because it's a 10-minute drive away.

I have kind of the opposite problem of many people on this thread and past threads: I have great GREs and GPA, but no experience in the field (I have about 11 shadowing hours so far, at least). My biggest concern is letters of recommendation. I got my undergrad degree online, and although I wrote a good deal in class I didn't interact personally with the professors, so I'm really worried that my recommendations will be mediocre. I'm banking on my GREs (168 V, 164 Q, 5.0 AW), my GPA (3.98), and my writing to get me through, but I've read so many other people's amazing stories of mentoring ESL kids, volunteering at inner-city schools, eight years' SLPA experience, etc. etc. Working for nine years at a gas station doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

Oh well, fingers crossed.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:58 PM, PuuOnToast said:

SDSU, University of Redlands, University of Colorado Boulder, Midwestern (IL), Northwestern, University of Oregon 

Where are you from?

San Diego, CA

The fact that I don't have a BA in SLP or anything related. Also the fact that I graduated undergrad in '11. I've taken leveling courses online so I hope my grades in those courses will show I'm serious about grad school. Also got a 3 on the GRE ANW.....

Hey, I'm currently in undergrad at the University of Redlands! The grad program is pretty diverse and there are a lot of people in the grad program coming from out of field and that have been out of school for some time :) it's an incredibly expensive program though lol. But message me if you have any questions about the program/faculty! I'd love to help!

On 11/14/2017 at 12:58 PM, PuuOnToast said:

Where are you from?

San Diego, CA

I’m not going to sugarcoat it for you. You need to retake the GREs and get at least a 3.5, and that’s pushing it (aim for 4.0 or higher). You are applying to pretty competitive schools (ex: SDSU is the highest ranking SLP program in CA). If it’s not too late, consider applying to some online programs. Check out EdFind and find schools that accept similar stats.

On 11/18/2017 at 9:25 AM, BeachySpeechy said:

I’m not going to sugarcoat it for you. You need to retake the GREs and get at least a 3.5, and that’s pushing it (aim for 4.0 or higher). You are applying to pretty competitive schools (ex: SDSU is the highest ranking SLP program in CA). If it’s not too late, consider applying to some online programs. Check out EdFind and find schools that accept similar stats.

Absolutely! I'm retaking the GRE for that reason. Got 160V and 151Q  without studying. I was completely shocked I even got a 3 but again my spelling is atrocious haha. Thanks for the honest advice!

On 11/16/2017 at 11:33 PM, snoves said:

Hey, I'm currently in undergrad at the University of Redlands! The grad program is pretty diverse and there are a lot of people in the grad program coming from out of field and that have been out of school for some time :) it's an incredibly expensive program though lol. But message me if you have any questions about the program/faculty! I'd love to help!

Thank you! I'm actually from Redlands so if I get in I can most likely live with my family so that might help a little with the cost...

On 11/21/2017 at 5:07 PM, PuuOnToast said:

Absolutely! I'm retaking the GRE for that reason. Got 160V and 151Q  without studying. I was completely shocked I even got a 3 but again my spelling is atrocious haha. Thanks for the honest advice!

Thank you! I'm actually from Redlands so if I get in I can most likely live with my family so that might help a little with the cost...

I was thinking of applying to Redlands and Chapman since I can live with aunts and uncles there. That went down the drain once I saw how much they charge per unit, which is about 950-1000 a unit! That's at least 55,000 thousand...so I'm applying to Fullerton, Fresno, and Chico instead for my California schools.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:24 PM, Daniel998 said:

I was thinking of applying to Redlands and Chapman since I can live with aunts and uncles there. That went down the drain once I saw how much they charge per unit, which is about 950-1000 a unit! That's at least 55,000 thousand...so I'm applying to Fullerton, Fresno, and Chico instead for my California schools.

Unless you’re an undergrad at CSUF and have stellar stats, skip CSUF. Save your money because that school is almost impossible to get into (and not because it’s a great program). They have around 500 applicants for 20-something spots, which mostly go to their own undergrads. The person who is in charge of grad admissions is horrible...lots of miscommunication on her part. Seriously save $100 and don’t apply there. I’ve heard great things about Redlands (not so much about Chapman). Even if it’s expensive, $55000 really isn’t that much compared to other programs out there. 

Edited by BeachySpeechy

15 hours ago, BeachySpeechy said:

Unless you’re an undergrad at CSUF and have stellar stats, skip CSUF. Save your money because that school is almost impossible to get into (and not because it’s a great program). They have around 500 applicants for 20-something spots, which mostly go to their own undergrads. The person who is in charge of grad admissions is horrible...lots of miscommunication on her part. Seriously save $100 and don’t apply there. I’ve heard great things about Redlands (not so much about Chapman). Even if it’s expensive, $55000 really isn’t that much compared to other programs out there. 

Thats a bummer. I knew it was a longshot to get in, but that appears to be a common motif regarding graduate programs. Yeah I have family in Riverside and Santa Ana so it'd be easy to commute from their place to those two schools. Which schools are you applying to btw?

18 hours ago, BeachySpeechy said:

I'm not surprised, but that's disappointing to hear. I was planning to apply since I have a decent GPA but I felt like I've heard horror stories of people graduating late from the program and it's so ridiculously competitive that it felt like even more of a shot in the dark than most other California programs lol. Good to know that I made the right choice!

Even the teachers at my school are on the fence about people applying to Redlands, just because of the price. I feel the program is solid and if i don't get in this year I plan to apply (since i'll have a year of paying down undergrad loans/saving for grad school down) but I'm hoping to get into a state school closer to home.

4 hours ago, Daniel998 said:

Thats a bummer. I knew it was a longshot to get in, but that appears to be a common motif regarding graduate programs. Yeah I have family in Riverside and Santa Ana so it'd be easy to commute from their place to those two schools. Which schools are you applying to btw?

I’m attending grad school at NAU, their summers track for working SLPAs. I applied to CSUF (for location and price), NAU, and Emerson (low residency program for SLPAs but they ended up canceling the program). I immediately regretted applying to CSUF after receiving an email from Dr. Tsao regarding my prerequisites. She basically said my application wasn’t going to be looked at since I didn’t complete all 12 prerequisites before applying even though their website stated that having a bachelors in CD was enough. When I asked her about it she gave me the run around, and in the end she acted like she had no idea why I was asking for confirmation. After a few emails back and forth she finally confirmed my application was on her desk for review. During this time I learned that the chances of getting in was slim to none and I honestly just wanted my money back at that point. I’ve heard that they have less than ten spots for 500+ applicants because they save most of their spots for their own undergrads. 

Redlands seems like a really good program. A friend of mine recently got in from the waitlist  and she loves it. I also worked with a CF from Redlands and she was awesome...knew her stuff and seemed well prepared for the job.

1 hour ago, BeachySpeechy said:

I’m attending grad school at NAU, their summers track for working SLPAs. I applied to CSUF (for location and price), NAU, and Emerson (low residency program for SLPAs but they ended up canceling the program). I immediately regretted applying to CSUF after receiving an email from Dr. Tsao regarding my prerequisites. She basically said my application wasn’t going to be looked at since I didn’t complete all 12 prerequisites before applying even though their website stated that having a bachelors in CD was enough. When I asked her about it she gave me the run around, and in the end she acted like she had no idea why I was asking for confirmation. After a few emails back and forth she finally confirmed my application was on her desk for review. During this time I learned that the chances of getting in was slim to none and I honestly just wanted my money back at that point. I’ve heard that they have less than ten spots for 500+ applicants because they save most of their spots for their own undergrads. 

Redlands seems like a really good program. A friend of mine recently got in from the waitlist  and she loves it. I also worked with a CF from Redlands and she was awesome...knew her stuff and seemed well prepared for the job.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you like NAU? I am interested in attending there (if I get in of course). Thanks! 

Which programs are you applying to?  University of Texas at Austin, University of Texas at Dallas, University of Arizona, University of Washington (MedSLP preferred but applying to both), Portland State University, Rush University, Temple University, Case Western Reserve University, New York Medical College, MGH

Where are you from? Texas!

What are your biggest concerns about applications?  Cumulative GPA!  I switched majors 2 years into school and came from a science heavy background.  My cumulative GPA is a mere 3.5.  Everything else is good: Major GPA is a 3.9, last 60 credits GPA is a 3.85, GRE is 156 Q, 159 V and 5.5 AW.  I have a lot of research and therapy experience thanks to a great undergrad education, and even experience working in schools and hospitals.  It's just that stupid cumulative GPA.

On 11/24/2017 at 7:57 PM, Felice said:

If you don't mind me asking, how do you like NAU? I am interested in attending there (if I get in of course). Thanks! 

I love it but with every program there’s going to be pros and cons...I’ve noticed most people only talk about how wonderful their program is but I think it’s important to discuss the negative things too. I’m in the summers track program so 8 weeks away from home is really hard. Plus, the work load is pretty intense during the summer since we’re packing four grad courses into 8 weeks. I almost had a nervous breakdown having to study 24/7 for two months straight. During the academic year it’s nice to be able to work as a SLPA (for money and experience). I also like that my cohort is full of experienced SLPAs and SLPs on waiver...I learn so much from them. I kind of wish I attended school in CA because a lot of the things in lectures are focused on how AZ does things...but we have a lot of CA SLPAs and SLPs that will add the CA perspective to our discussions, so I’m at least learning some of that in class from them. Overall, it’s a great program and if you have any questions I’ll try my best to answer them :)

Which programs are you applying to? University of Connecticut, Southern Connecticut State University, Nova Southeastern University, Eastern Carolina University (2 in person programs, 2 online)

Where are you from? Central Connecticut

What are your biggest concerns about applications? I am concerned that admissions committees will not be able see my commitment to the field from the (very) brief essays in applications (some don't even want to see a CV/resume... I just hope they can piece together who I am as a potential student without what I feel is a full picture).  I think overall my stats are competitive, but I'm not sure I will stand out enough to warrant an offer of admission.  I'm returning to school after 5 years of working and taking online post-bacc classes, and this will be my second master's degree (first is in linguistics).  I have wanted to go back to school for what feels like a VERY long time! 

Best of luck to everyone this application cycle, it will be a long waiting game until spring... hang in there :)

On 11/16/2017 at 1:47 PM, Felice said:

Hello! Good luck to you as well, awesome GRE scores! Would you happen to know if your friend had a good experience there? I have never been to NMSU, so any insight is welcome! 

Thank you! From what she has told me, she did have a good experience there. And of course, it's in my home town, so I'm biased, but I love it there! :)

To start, I have enjoyed reading all of your posts...you all sound amazing and I wish you the best of luck navigating this arduous process!

Which programs are you applying to? I am applying to Vanderbilt University, The University of Virginia, The University of Texas at Dallas, Baylor University, The University of Memphis, Western Carolina University, and Appalachian State University. 

Where are you from? I am from Mooresville, North Carolina. 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? I am applying from out of field (my undergrad majors were American Sign Language and Psychology) and I am nervous about schools' preference towards in-field students, as well as their own undergrads! In addition, my GRE scores were mediocre (158V, 153Q, 4.0AW), however my undergraduate GPA was a 4.0. I feel as though my recommendations will be good because I came from a small undergraduate school and got to know my professors well, however, I still feel like I may not be good enough. I am scared to death that the monetary and time investment that I am putting into my applications will all be for nothing, despite applying to seven schools. Anyone else feel that way!? 

Does anyone else have some of their applications finished but are sitting on them because they're too scared to submit?! :unsure:

I have a bunch of stuff done but I'm scared to submit because I keep thinking "what if I think of a way to improve my statement?!" I just know though that i'll never be 100% content with it. 

1 hour ago, futureSLPhopefullylol said:

Does anyone else have some of their applications finished but are sitting on them because they're too scared to submit?! :unsure:

I have a bunch of stuff done but I'm scared to submit because I keep thinking "what if I think of a way to improve my statement?!" I just know though that i'll never be 100% content with it. 

I am in the same position. I had mine proof read by the writing center and friends. I am going to ace neuroanatomy and maintain my 3.9 GPA. I do not want to submit and then find an error after reading through it again. :wacko:

Where are you applying? Columbia University Teachers College, University of Virginia, University of North Carolina, UPitt, NYU, Vanderbilt, Kean, BU, MGH Institute of Health Professions

Where are you from? New Jersey 

What are your concerns? That my GRE Scores will deflect them from looking at my application despite my experiences and GPA! Also that even if I do get into these places, that I won't be able to afford them!

GPA: 3.905/4

GRE: Less than 50th percentile

Experiences: undergraduate practicum in 4 elementary schools, 80+ hours of volunteer work, 80 hours of shadowing SLP, internship in speech clinic, leadership experiences in almost all college extracurriculars, currently employed on a research project at UVA, nanny, waitress

Which programs are you applying to? All online programs! East Carolina, Idaho State, JMU, University of Montana, UoW-EC, Nova southeastern (second time)

Where are you from? Orlando, FL. First bachelors from FSU, second from USU. 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? GPA. Stats in bio... it's not great. BUT I just recently got hired as an SLPA! I'm nervous and this will technically be my third round of applications (rejected from UCF and NYU, never heard back from Nova). Also extremely nervous because I took my GRE in November of 2014 meaning my scores will expire in Nov of 2019, meaning I must get into a grad program before then :/

I've been looking at all your posts, you all sound great! Best of luck to everyone! This is such a grueling process!

I'm an out-of-field applicant from Oregon. I'm applying to BU, Northeastern, Emerson, Northwestern, and Temple. 

GPA is 3.73... at my undergrad this was considered pretty good because of our strict grade deflation policy, but now I'm getting nervous. My GRE scores are 167 V, 158 Q, and 5.0 AW. I'm not overly worried about my SOP's or letters of rec, but I'm seriously worried about my experience. I don't have any direct SLP experience, my biggest work experience has been as a nanny and managing a cafe. In my SOP's I'm really just trying to get across that I sincerely want to be an SLP and am motivated to excel in the program. 

4 hours ago, lmcslp said:

Where are you applying? Columbia University Teachers College, University of Virginia, University of North Carolina, UPitt, NYU, Vanderbilt, Kean, BU, MGH Institute of Health Professions

Where are you from? New Jersey 

What are your concerns? That my GRE Scores will deflect them from looking at my application despite my experiences and GPA! Also that even if I do get into these places, that I won't be able to afford them!

GPA: 3.905/4

GRE: Less than 50th percentile

Experiences: undergraduate practicum in 4 elementary schools, 80+ hours of volunteer work, 80 hours of shadowing SLP, internship in speech clinic, leadership experiences in almost all college extracurriculars, currently employed on a research project at UVA, nanny, waitress

It sounds like you have a lot of great other aspects of your application going for you :) . I also scored less than 50th percentile (on the quant section) so I know how you feel, it sucks! Best of luck to you. 

On 12/7/2017 at 9:29 PM, Triplet3 said:

To start, I have enjoyed reading all of your posts...you all sound amazing and I wish you the best of luck navigating this arduous process!

Which programs are you applying to? I am applying to Vanderbilt University, The University of Virginia, The University of Texas at Dallas, Baylor University, The University of Memphis, Western Carolina University, and Appalachian State University. 

Where are you from? I am from Mooresville, North Carolina. 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? I am applying from out of field (my undergrad majors were American Sign Language and Psychology) and I am nervous about schools' preference towards in-field students, as well as their own undergrads! In addition, my GRE scores were mediocre (158V, 153Q, 4.0AW), however my undergraduate GPA was a 4.0. I feel as though my recommendations will be good because I came from a small undergraduate school and got to know my professors well, however, I still feel like I may not be good enough. I am scared to death that the monetary and time investment that I am putting into my applications will all be for nothing, despite applying to seven schools. Anyone else feel that way!? 

A lot of schools are starting to really embrace people who don't have an SLP undergrad major! UVA said that half of their incoming class are Track 2's (non SLP undergrad). If you're taking the time to apply to grad school, you are clearly a great applicant already :) no worries! You sound like you are more qualified than you think! 

P.S. i love seeing people who are applying to some of the same schools as me because I start to think that we could potentially be in the same class! AHH ;) Best of luck!