2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

I heard back from Longwood University on Friday last week (2/9). They sent me an email saying I was accepted and that I would receive further information in the mail. I'm still waiting on UVA, JMU, and ENMU. I think those schools have taken longer in the past too. Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Sam123456love said:

Hey guys anyone here apply to UConn?/ Know when we will hear anything? Just super impatient because it’s my top choice! And good luck to everyone!:) 

Hey! I applied to UConn as well - based on admissions results from previous years on this site, I'm guessing we will hear back after spring break next month.  It would be amazing to hear from them sooner, though :)

On 2/7/2018 at 1:01 PM, NessaRR said:

Which programs are you applying to? Florida State University, University of South Florida, Emerson College, Georgia State, Midwestern University Downers Grove

Where are you from? Tampa 

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My biggest concern is my average GRE scores. I hope programs look at my application as a whole rather than just zeroing in on my scores because my resume, personal statement and letters of recommendation are pretty strong. 

GRE: 153 V  149 Q  4 A.W

GPA: 3.99

Updates from schools so far:

Interviews: Emerson College, Midwestern University 

Accepted so far only to Midwestern University 

I got invited to interview at Midwestern too! What was the interview like? Did you like the campus? What are its pros and cons? I'm struggling so hard to decide between schools.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:26 AM, SLPHaley said:

Has anyone who interviewed for Midwestern University, Downer's Grove around the last week of January heard back yet? I know it's only been about two weeks, but omg! This wait is the worse! 

Hi Haley! I think we interviewed together at the end of January. Have you heard anything? I feel like I've been waiting forever and it's making me nervous.

31 minutes ago, Speechie2018 said:

Hi Haley! I think we interviewed together at the end of January. Have you heard anything? I feel like I've been waiting forever and it's making me nervous.

Hey! I contacted the admissions office and they said my application is still under review! 

Does anyone know if we'll receive an email notification from UNC Chapel Hill? Or will it be listed on the portal? Most of these online portals don't have a spot for a decision (Stockton, Vanderbilt, George Washington, etc.) I have a heart attack every time I get a new email... 

UNC's application was due a while ago so I'm hoping to hear back soon!

11 minutes ago, lmcslp said:

Does anyone know if we'll receive an email notification from UNC Chapel Hill? Or will it be listed on the portal? Most of these online portals don't have a spot for a decision (Stockton, Vanderbilt, George Washington, etc.) I have a heart attack every time I get a new email... 

UNC's application was due a while ago so I'm hoping to hear back soon!

Judging by the results thread from last year, it looks like we could expect an email to check the portal if we're waitlisted/rejected and a phone call if we're accepted!

Hello everyone! Hope you're all managing your stress well and good luck!

Which programs are you applying to?

The University of Montevallo (where I'll earn my B.S. in CSD), East Tennessee State University, Tennessee State University, University of Tennessee, University of West Georgia, University of Georgia. (6 schools total)

Where are you from? Albertville, AL. I wanted to stay close enough to home for my Pawpaw, my biggest supporter, and most important person. So I was somewhat limited, unfortunately, but I'm happy with the schools I chose.

What are your biggest concerns about applications?

My scores are not *super* competitive, but I'm hoping that my undergraduate research, bomb rec letters, and well-written personal statements will make up for them.

GPA: 3.6, GRE: 146 Q, 154 V. (300) AW: 4 (Any input from people with similar scores or experiences is appreciated!)

On 2/13/2018 at 1:44 PM, Rowboat47 said:

Hey! I applied to UConn as well - based on admissions results from previous years on this site, I'm guessing we will hear back after spring break next month.  It would be amazing to hear from them sooner, though :)

I applied too and the wait is driving me crazy...hopefully the next few weeks go quickly but I doubt it

Uconn, Southern CT, URI (I'm nervous about applying to so few, but I'm limited geographically and being out of major)

Where are you from? CT

My undergrad is in a super unrelated field. I have a year and a half experience working as a full-time para (I subbed during college breaks too), pretty competitive GRE and GPA (V:162, Q: 156, AW: 5, GPA: 3.76) and research experience (in an unrelated area), but I'm worried it won't be enough to convince schools that I really am committed to this field and can handle the courses. Unfortunately, most of them didn't want personal statements where I could've pled my case. If I don't get in I plan to do the prereqs myself next year, but for my own sanity, I rather have a program with an advisor to help me get it all done (especially because I'm nervous I'll do the prereqs and they won't be accepted by wherever I eventually get in). Fingers crossed!! 

2 hours ago, chickadeeslp said:

Uconn, Southern CT, URI (I'm nervous about applying to so few, but I'm limited geographically and being out of major)

Where are you from? CT

My undergrad is in a super unrelated field. I have a year and a half experience working as a full-time para (I subbed during college breaks too), pretty competitive GRE and GPA (V:162, Q: 156, AW: 5, GPA: 3.76) and research experience (in an unrelated area), but I'm worried it won't be enough to convince schools that I really am committed to this field and can handle the courses. Unfortunately, most of them didn't want personal statements where I could've pled my case. If I don't get in I plan to do the prereqs myself next year, but for my own sanity, I rather have a program with an advisor to help me get it all done (especially because I'm nervous I'll do the prereqs and they won't be accepted by wherever I eventually get in). Fingers crossed!! 

Best of luck to you, fellow nutmegger! My scores are very similar to yours, and I hear you on the frustration of not being able to submit a personal statement to UConn and Southern.  Hoping something great happens for both of us :D 

On 2/15/2018 at 3:04 PM, Speechpath5678 said:

Has anyone heard about interviews from Georgia State University? Looks like emails are supposed to go out mid Feb and last year the emails went out today...

I just received an email from them today around 5 PM inviting me for an interview. (Sucks they do not have an option for a virtual interview as I live in OHIO! -with only 2 weeks before the interview!!!!!)  I do not believe that all applicants that they offer admission to go through the interview process, however.

On 2/17/2018 at 6:52 PM, SayRuhh said:

I just received an email from them today around 5 PM inviting me for an interview. (Sucks they do not have an option for a virtual interview as I live in OHIO! -with only 2 weeks before the interview!!!!!)  I do not believe that all applicants that they offer admission to go through the interview process, however.

Yeah I am confused about this as well. When I picked my interview slot, there were only like 20 available to pick from. Do you think they only interview 20 applicants??

1 hour ago, Speechpath5678 said:

Yeah I am confused about this as well. When I picked my interview slot, there were only like 20 available to pick from. Do you think they only interview 20 applicants??

I did the exact same thing ha! But that is what I am guessing. A part of me feels like they only interview applicants who they are on the borderline of accepting/rejecting so they want to meet us before making that decision. Also to decide on applicants for funding. But these are all just guesses. Nonetheless, I'm sure that the interview day will be a great time!! :)

Does anyone know if Sacred Heart accepts people without interviewing? I know they’ve given people interviews already, so if you didn’t get an interview is it safe to assume you’ve been rejected? It was one of the (easier) schools I applied to, so I kinda thought I would get an interview (so totally not trying to sound conceited here sorry if it comes off that way!!,) but I didn’t so just curious!! 

On 2/15/2018 at 2:58 PM, kayyyyy_ said:

I'm a current grad student, and I've been if your shoes. If you need any help, good thoughts, or just a vent session feel free to reach out! 

Hi!

I was wondering if you could tell me anything about the interview process that you went through? I have two coming up and I am SO nervous! Thanks in advance!

On 1/30/2018 at 10:03 PM, kcaulfield4 said:

Not sure if I commented on the right person's post, someone was harsh to someone about their stats, but I was letting them know their stats seemed ok.

Which programs are you applying to? Midwestern U (Downers Grove), Northwestern U, Rush U, Western Illinois U, University of Illinois, and Indiana U (Bloomington)

Where are you from? Illinois!

What are your biggest concerns about applications? I'm a post-bac student (currently in Northwestern's post-bac program) so I don't have as much class experiences as other applicants. Also, my GRE scores are very very very average unfortunately (152 V), but I'm hoping my interview at Midwestern went well! 

I'm wondering if anyone has any friends or themselves have gotten into these schools and what were the stats?