Fall 2018 Cycle

ahmed.samy

17 hours ago, orgchemboy said:

Those are helpful information! But it's strange that the school still hasn't sent an invitation to the open house…

I know someone with an interview from Scripps for org chem (she heard a while back); I think just not many on this forum have heard

Asking again since no one ever responded lol. But does anyone no the importance of interviews for programs? I have one at Michigan State next month and I'm wondering how important it is. I've heard some people say that I should be super prepared for it and others say not to worry too much and that it's more of a check to make sure that I'm not crazy in some way and know my research etc....

Any thoughts? 

On 2/17/2018 at 7:14 PM, KentuckyFriedChemistry said:

Asking again since no one ever responded lol. But does anyone no the importance of interviews for programs? I have one at Michigan State next month and I'm wondering how important it is. I've heard some people say that I should be super prepared for it and others say not to worry too much and that it's more of a check to make sure that I'm not crazy in some way and know my research etc....

Any thoughts? 

I created a post in the Chemistry topic about interviews and some people replied with useful information... You might want to take a look

On 2/17/2018 at 4:14 PM, KentuckyFriedChemistry said:

Any thoughts? 

Hey so I had an interview with BU and it was pretty formal in terms of them asking detailed questions about my research, but it was also clearly a formality and primarily to figure out if I was actually interested in them. Got my acceptance soon after I stated I was interested. So I would say don't over prepare, but definitely be comfortable talking about your work!

21 hours ago, athan892 said:

Can you update us about how it is? Because I am international and I couldn't come.

So.. tbh, I am loving Rice a lot more than I thought I would. Theyve made a huge effort to show how interdisciplinary and collaborative the department is, and being small works for that very well.

If you have specific questions, PM me? I can try and get them answered for you if I dont know.

On 3/1/2018 at 9:40 PM, dells_of_bittersweet said:

I have been accepted to UW Madison and JHU, but I am still to hear yes or no from four programs: UPenn, TAMU, UCSD, and ND. Is this normal? How could these places possibly not know whether or not they are going to let me in by now? 

I haven't heard from UCSD either. Though I'll be at the JHU visit weekend!

Are there still no rejections from UChicago?

On 3/1/2018 at 11:40 PM, dells_of_bittersweet said:

I have been accepted to UW Madison and JHU, but I am still to hear yes or no from four programs: UPenn, TAMU, UCSD, and ND. Is this normal? How could these places possibly not know whether or not they are going to let me in by now? 

I got a no from UPenn but still haven’t heard from UCSD either. I emailed asking if we would be notified if we were on a waitlist or if we would just hear back at a later date. I didn’t get a response. I wish they would just send the rejections already if that is the case!

On 3/1/2018 at 11:40 PM, dells_of_bittersweet said:

I have not heard back from five out of eight programs so I feel you! Still waiting on U Penn, U Chicago, Cornell, GA Tech, and MSU

15 hours ago, ash27 said:

I have not heard back from five out of eight programs so I feel you! Still waiting on U Penn, U Chicago, Cornell, GA Tech, and MSU

I haven't heard from GA Tech and MSU either, but I already accepted an offer from somewhere else. I wonder what's taking them so long.

5 hours ago, PhilChem94 said:

I haven't heard from GA Tech and MSU either, but I already accepted an offer from somewhere else. I wonder what's taking them so long.

My research adviser talked to one of her connections at GA Tech and they haven't even started reviewing as of like 2 weeks ago apparently. Their free preregistration closed December 1st, but they paid application didn't close that long ago so they haven't started reviewing.

I literally don't understand why I haven't heard back from MSU yet though.

26 minutes ago, ash27 said:

My research adviser talked to one of her connections at GA Tech and they haven't even started reviewing as of like 2 weeks ago apparently. Their free preregistration closed December 1st, but they paid application didn't close that long ago so they haven't started reviewing.

I literally don't understand why I haven't heard back from MSU yet though.

I applied through the free pre reg. I gave up waiting for them since I saw people getting accepted last December and I can't really keep on waiting for all decisions to come since I'm an international student and I need to process a lot of things.

Anyway, good luck. :)

4 hours ago, ketchup said:

How are everyone's visits going? Anyone made any decisions yet?

I think while I am halfway through my visits, I have a pretty good idea where I'm going.

Where have you visited/where do you think you'll go? Being international kind of sucks as i don't get to see any uni before I go there.

I have until next week to accept the offer from my 2nd choice university but I am still waiting for UIC (1st option) to contact me... If I don't get an answer by March 15 I will accept the offer from SUNY... Not what I want but it is also a good program.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:27 AM, raul.carmo said:

I have until next week to accept the offer from my 2nd choice university but I am still waiting for UIC (1st option) to contact me... If I don't get an answer by March 15 I will accept the offer from SUNY... Not what I want but it is also a good program.

Sorry @raul.carmo, but if you don't mind me asking, why do you only have until March 15th to make your decision?  SUNY Buffalo is on the CGS list so you should have until April 15th to decide where you want to go.  It just seems weird...