Fall 2018 Cycle

ahmed.samy

8 hours ago, WenChun said:

Sorry @raul.carmo, but if you don't mind me asking, why do you only have until March 15th to make your decision?  SUNY Buffalo is on the CGS list so you should have until April 15th to decide where you want to go.  It just seems weird...

I don't know either, my other admits have the April 15 deadline as well buy in my SUNY offer they wrote "Please indicate your acceptance of this offer by signing and returning one copy of this 
letter to chemgrad@buffalo.edu Please respond to this offer by no later than March 15, 2018.".

SUNY is my second option so I will probably have to decide it by next week... I called UIC today and the graduate administrator told me that they are sending scattered acceptances, not in rounds like other universities... She was really nice and told me she will explain my situation to the program coordinator, ask him about my application status and will reach back to me by tuesday with an update. Hope it works, though I don't feel putting them under pressure will do me any good.

22 hours ago, raul.carmo said:

I don't know either, my other admits have the April 15 deadline as well buy in my SUNY offer they wrote "Please indicate your acceptance of this offer by signing and returning one copy of this 
letter to chemgrad@buffalo.edu Please respond to this offer by no later than March 15, 2018.".

SUNY is my second option so I will probably have to decide it by next week... I called UIC today and the graduate administrator told me that they are sending scattered acceptances, not in rounds like other universities... She was really nice and told me she will explain my situation to the program coordinator, ask him about my application status and will reach back to me by tuesday with an update. Hope it works, though I don't feel putting them under pressure will do me any good.

Have you confirmed the date with SUNY?  Maybe March was possibly just a typo?  Just a thought, good luck

19 hours ago, Terpenequeen said:

Did anyone hear from Dartmouth?

not a word until now, but I'm not worried because even if I get an offer I won't be attending... I'll let you know if they contact me 

On 3/7/2018 at 11:37 AM, ketchup said:

How are everyone's visits going? Anyone made any decisions yet?

I think while I am halfway through my visits, I have a pretty good idea where I'm going.

I'm torn between my two choices. Very clearly two different schools in terms of atmosphere. I feel really comfortable at one, but there's really only one prof I'd want to do research with. The other is super intense and people seemed stressed out, but the research is very interesting!

On 3/7/2018 at 8:37 AM, ketchup said:

How are everyone's visits going? Anyone made any decisions yet?

I think while I am halfway through my visits, I have a pretty good idea where I'm going.

Finally received my Scripps rejection so it looks like colorado state is where I’ll end up (only acceptance). Definitely not my first choice but I really enjoyed the visit and it will be nice to be close to home. 

Decided to accept SUNY Buffalo, it seems that UIC will only release acceptances in April and I couldn't wait. Even though UIC was my first choice I am glad that I'm going to Buffalo, it seems to be a good place to live and they have many faculty members doing research in my field.

On 3/14/2018 at 7:18 PM, singinglupines said:

I'm torn between my two choices. Very clearly two different schools in terms of atmosphere. I feel really comfortable at one, but there's really only one prof I'd want to do research with. The other is super intense and people seemed stressed out, but the research is very interesting!

I've ended up picking the (only) place that doesn't have only one prof that I want to work for. You never know what is down the road!

17 hours ago, ketchup said:

I've ended up picking the (only) place that doesn't have only one prof that I want to work for. You never know what is down the road!

I think that's the direction I'm leaning towards as well. I do appreciate comfort, but a passion for what I'm researching will make everything much more bearable. Also for the flexibility.

10 hours ago, smizz said:

Has anyone else not heard from UPenn yet? Or Brown? Yikes this waiting is no fun.

I applied to UW, UPenn, JHU, TAMU, USCD, and ND. I got accepted to UW and JHU. Rejected from UCSD and ND. Still no word, officially, from UPenn or TAMU. The professor I am corresponding with has told me my chances aren't very good at UPenn. That was over a month ago. I am rather shocked as to there not being an official decision yet. If I get accepted to UPenn, I will chose between them an UW. If not, I will choose UW. Are you also planning to go to UW if you don't get accepted to UPenn? 

Sup friends!

Has anyone got the acceptance from UT Austin? Got my interview three weeks ago, but I still did not get anything.

On 16.03.2018 at 5:27 AM, raul.carmo said:

it seems that UIC will only release acceptances in April and I couldn't wait. 

UIC sent me an admission recommentation from the department two weeks ago. However they told, that the office of admissions & records would confirm my admission by a separate email. Is it normal, that the official confirmation comes in a weeks? April is coming, I'm a little worried.

9 hours ago, dells_of_bittersweet said:

I applied to UW, UPenn, JHU, TAMU, USCD, and ND. I got accepted to UW and JHU. Rejected from UCSD and ND. Still no word, officially, from UPenn or TAMU. The professor I am corresponding with has told me my chances aren't very good at UPenn. That was over a month ago. I am rather shocked as to there not being an official decision yet. If I get accepted to UPenn, I will chose between them an UW. If not, I will choose UW. Are you also planning to go to UW if you don't get accepted to UPenn? 

I think so! I really enjoyed my visit to UW.

On 12/12/2017 at 5:31 PM, RagDoll said:

Undergrad Institution: Ivy League/Art School
Major(s): Chemistry, Furniture Design
GPA in Major: 3.50
Overall GPA: 3.67
Type of Student: Domestic, White/Asian Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 167
V: 170
W: 4.0
S: wew moving on

Research Experience: 2 years in organometallic lab, summer fellowship doing research at a major cultural institution

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: hopefully on my way to earning honors

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  on my department's diversity committee, part of student group at museum

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: no pubs but my thesis is on its way to being one

Special Bonus Points: woman in STEM, earned two degrees from two schools simultaneously (BS/BFA)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: four LORS: 1 phenomenal LOR from my research advisor (I cried, if anybody has good thank you gift ideas lmk), 1 from summer research,  1 from organic professor/academic advisor, 1 from museum group advisor.

Applying to Where: Harvard, Columbia, Northwestern, UPenn, UCLA, Emory, CUNY, Portland State

I'm interested in conservation science, which means I'm looking at analytical or materials for the most part. Some of the higher ranked schools may be out of my reach but my advisors have told me not to count myself out for anything yet. I had a pretty unique undergrad experience and I've got no clue if or how that'll factor into decisions :X

When did you hear from Portland State ? Thank you!

21 hours ago, TRON 1.0 said:

Sup friends!

Has anyone got the acceptance from UT Austin? Got my interview three weeks ago, but I still did not get anything.

UIC sent me an admission recommentation from the department two weeks ago. However they told, that the office of admissions & records would confirm my admission by a separate email. Is it normal, that the official confirmation comes in a weeks? April is coming, I'm a little worried.

That is normal.

On 3/20/2018 at 2:56 PM, Chemphd238 said:

Anyone heard from Oregon State , Washington State or Portland State chemistry departments ? 

Thank you!

Nothing from Portland State.  I did not apply to Washington State but I know someone that got accepted and got invited fro the visitation weekend.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...