Fall 2018 Cycle

ahmed.samy

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts school
Majors: Chemistry and Physical Science 
Minors: Physics and Mathematics
GPA in Major: 3.875 (chemistry) 3.635 (chemistry + physics)
Overall GPA: 3.721
Position in Class: unknown
Type of Student: Domestic female 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161 (78th %ile)
V: 156 (73rd %ile)
W: 4.0 (60th %ile)
S:  N/A

Research Experience: 

6 groups between 2 institutions (home university and national lab)-- started summer 2013 (just after my junior year in high school). All experiences were either physics or chemistry, or interdisciplinary between the two. 

Researched for 4 summers (full-time) and 6 semesters (part-time) for a total in excess of 1800 hours. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

• Davis-Bahcall scholar (nine other students and I were funded to tour physics laboratories and research facilities in the US and Italy)
  • South Dakota Biomedical Research Infrastructure Network Fellowship
  • Department of Energy Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship 
  • QuarkNet Summer Internship
  • Dean's List
  • Student Senate Outstanding Member
  • Several Scholarships, including a NASA Space Grant

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, etc...)

• Was the teaching assistant for Introduction to Physics I & II courses (1 year). 
  • Mentored other students in the lab. 

Miscellaneous Accomplishments or Special Bonus Points that Might Help:

• Presented at 12 poster sessions (most notably, 3 poster sessions at 2 ACS conferences) and attended an additional 3 conferences in which I did not present.
  • Featured Speaker at two non-science events. 
  • As part of the University Honors program, I'll be publicly defending my current research before graduation. 
  • Will graduate as a International University Scholar. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

• Member of the American Physical Society and American Chemical Society
  • Women in STEM student org. (co-founder and president)
  • Presidential Student Ambassador
  • Student Senator (College of Business and Natural Sciences)
  • Student Rep. on the Faculty Campus Safety & Facilities Committee
  • Dean's Science Student Advisory Board
  • University Mentor for the Middle School Robotics Club/Competition
  • Local Organizers Committee for an APS Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics
  • Helping to organize a Women in Science conference for local middle school girls
  • Worked at an airport as a Line Technician for 6 years
  • Applied for the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship

Applying to Where:

I applied for the Chemistry PhD program (physical) for all of the following schools. Also, my indicated research interests were all very similar-- I'm very interested in studying excited state kinetics (with applications in solar energy or solar fuel devices), especially using spectroscopic techniques combined with modeling. I feel like I was pretty pointed about the research I'd like to do in my applications. 

CU Boulder - top school choice - would plan to join their Chemical Physics track, if attended 

CO School of Mines - 

UC Berkeley 

U of Washington - offered 12/14 - by email (will send a physical letter by mail) with funding information

U of Wisconsin, Madison

U of Michigan, Ann Arbor

U of Utah, Salt Lake City

Northwestern U

U of Chicago

Considering I haven't submitted nearly half of my apps yet (will today), I was SO surprised and excited to see my Washington acceptance!

On 12/11/2017 at 9:40 PM, scientific said:

I am not familiar with all those schools, but I was under the impression that a lot of these didn't have terminal MS's and usually only accepted for PhD route. Can I ask why you're going for a master's instead of a PhD?

I actually think your stats are quite good, especially with the  chem classes not too bad. UCs are mostly well known research schools, so I imagine you'll be fine.

Hi! I actually explained in my post that I did not like research so I wanna get a coursework master to teach chemistry at community colleges maybe. And you are right, not many schools offer master in chemistry let alone coursework degrees. I tried really hard finding these, like reading over 30 pages on Google lol. I feel like I'm an unconventional applicant here since everyone else is going for a PhD.

I think my GPA is still OK just because I did not complete many upper division courses before I changed my major. That could be one major problem but I will catch up soon, finishing up pchem and take some advanced ochem before I graduate this year, as I'm almost done with math :D. 

Edited by cater99

Undergrad Institution: Top university in the Philippines
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 92%
Position in Class: 
Type of Student: International (Philippines)

Q: 149
V: 153
W: 4.0
S: None 

TOEFL:

R: 22
L: 28
S: 27 
W: 29

Total: 106 

Research Experience: 2.5 years as a full time researcher in a Natural Products research laboratory 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Academic Excellence Award

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Researcher and University Instructor (Chemistry)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

I got an admission offer for University of Oxford for 2017, but there was no scholarship available and there are no available scholarships from my home country. (Not sure how this might help though.)

Applying to Where:
(All for Organic Chemistry)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Pretty ambitious given my low GRE scores.)
Michigan State University
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of Rochester

Any ideas or comments or suggestions? Should I expect for an admission from any of these universities or should I just give up? T_T

22 minutes ago, NatProdChemistry said:

I got an admission offer for University of Oxford for 2017, but there was no scholarship available and there are no available scholarships from my home country. (Not sure how this might help though.)

Applying to Where:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Pretty ambitious given my low GRE scores.)
University of Rochester

Any ideas or comments or suggestions? Should I expect for an admission from any of these universities or should I just give up? T_T

I'd say there a chance for schools like Rochester, MSU, and slim chance for GT. I don't think Oxford will help because a lot of commonwealth universities will basically admit everyone but not everyone will get funding. It's really the funding which is your admission or rejection.

30 minutes ago, someth1ngAus said:

I'd say there a chance for schools like Rochester, MSU, and slim chance for GT. I don't think Oxford will help because a lot of commonwealth universities will basically admit everyone but not everyone will get funding. It's really the funding which is your admission or rejection.

Thank you for your reply and now that I think about it, that makes sense (about Oxford). Anyway, I forgot to mention that I also applied to University of Houston. I do hope I get even if only one admission from any of these universities. Thanks. :D

4 hours ago, zbcounter said:

Undergrad Institution: Top university in the Philippines
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 92%
Position in Class: 
Type of Student: International (Philippines)

Q: 149
V: 153
W: 4.0
S: None 

TOEFL:

R: 22
L: 28
S: 27 
W: 29

Total: 106 

Research Experience: 2.5 years as a full time researcher in a Natural Products research laboratory 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Academic Excellence Award

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Researcher and University Instructor (Chemistry)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

Applying to Where:
University of Rochester

I forgot to mention the following in my previous post:

I presented in two national conferences with 2 poster presentations and 1 oral presentation.

I am also applying to University of Houston. Any thoughts? How heavily weighted are the GRE scores?

Edited by zbcounter

6 hours ago, zbcounter said:

I forgot to mention the following in my previous post:

I presented in two national conferences with 2 poster presentations and 1 oral presentation.

I am also applying to University of Houston. Any thoughts? How heavily weighted are the GRE scores?

Apparently, not heavily weighted. GRE isn't heavily weighted but you're international, like me, and they will generally look at it more closely for us. Yours can be a red flag, especially the Q score and the lack of the subject score.

4 minutes ago, someth1ngAus said:

Apparently, not heavily weighted. GRE isn't heavily weighted but you're international, like me, and they will generally look at it more closely for us. Yours can be a red flag, especially the Q score and the lack of the subject score.

Oh, that should be Q: 153 and V:149. Either way, both are generally red flags - even I see that. Haha. Anyway, I hope I get even just one admission offer. I'll hope for the best (even if it seems unrealistic to hope too much). :D 

9 minutes ago, PhilChem94 said:

Oh, that should be Q: 153 and V:149. Either way, both are generally red flags - even I see that. Haha. Anyway, I hope I get even just one admission offer. I'll hope for the best (even if it seems unrealistic to hope too much). :D 

Yeah, I mean, I got V152, Q169, W4.5, C880...applying to Princeton (only place) and I'm nowhere near confident - I'd be fucking thrilled, though. I have around 4 years of research experience in a bunch of different areas, 2 of which are full-time and a perfect research fit. I'd say my odds are <30%, at best.

1 minute ago, someth1ngAus said:

Yeah, I mean, I got V152, Q169, W4.5, C880...applying to Princeton (only place) and I'm nowhere near confident - I'd be fucking thrilled, though. I have around 4 years of research experience in a bunch of different areas, 2 of which are full-time and a perfect research fit. I'd say my odds are <30%, at best.

I know someone studying in Princeton now who got lower GRE scores than yours - both for general and subject. You should have pretty great chance in getting in. I hope you get it. :D

On 12/15/2017 at 11:14 PM, cater99 said:

Hi! I actually explained in my post that I did not like research so I wanna get a coursework master to teach chemistry at community colleges maybe. And you are right, not many schools offer master in chemistry let alone coursework degrees. I tried really hard finding these, like reading over 30 pages on Google lol. I feel like I'm an unconventional applicant here since everyone else is going for a PhD.

I think my GPA is still OK just because I did not complete many upper division courses before I changed my major. That could be one major problem but I will catch up soon, finishing up pchem and take some advanced ochem before I graduate this year, as I'm almost done with math :D. 

Ah I must've missed that. I definitely understand about the difficulty of finding a US masters program; I considered doing a masters to make up for my embarrassingly weak GPA, but I'd heard mixed things about having a masters as a domestic applicant to a doctoral program after,  so decided against it.

I do think it's unconventional, but I think it's a plus you know what you're looking for! I know some people who went for a PhD, ended up hating research and left. And maybe the major outside of chemistry won't be an issue in that case. Best of luck!

On 12/18/2017 at 11:54 AM, scientific said:

Ah I must've missed that. I definitely understand about the difficulty of finding a US masters program; I considered doing a masters to make up for my embarrassingly weak GPA, but I'd heard mixed things about having a masters as a domestic applicant to a doctoral program after,  so decided against it.

I do think it's unconventional, but I think it's a plus you know what you're looking for! I know some people who went for a PhD, ended up hating research and left. And maybe the major outside of chemistry won't be an issue in that case. Best of luck!

Yeah thanks for your words. I believe I will not go into a chem PhD after but maybe a math one. 

I hope knowing that I'm not using the master to get in their PhD later will put them on ease. 

Best luck for you too. 

10 hours ago, Zinniak said:

It looks like someone has already heard back from MIT from the acceptance page! Lucky for them.

Yeah, some from Duke, GT, UCSF, FSU, and Chicago...

I only applied to Princeton and I'm pretty sure they usually release everything at once (Jan 25ish, but it says February).

20 minutes ago, Evitingoc said:

Hi everyone,

I submitted my UCLA application on November 30th, but I just got an automated email last night acknowledging receipt. Did anyone else experience this? I saw from the results page that UCLA's started to give out offers, so I'm a bit worried.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I also got that email today, but I already received an acceptance from UCLA last week. 

On 12/10/2017 at 7:35 AM, dorkstep said:

I am worried as the online system says Michigan has not received my transcript - anyone else? Don’t know if they just haven’t updated the system or not... I’m wary the deadline is in five days :S

I would not worry too much over it if the document was mailed before the due date. Also it takes time for some systems to update. I had a similar issue for a few schools last year since I mailed my transcript early December, but it was not gonna be arrive before the deadline. I sent them a quick email to let them know to keep an eye out for my transcript and to notify me if they didn't receive it. In the end, it wasn't an issue.

Edited by Chemmie

9 hours ago, Chemmie said:

I would not worry too much over it if the document was mailed before the due date. Also it takes time for some systems to update. I had a similar issue for a few schools last year since I mailed my transcript early December, but it was not gonna be arrive before the deadline. I sent them a quick email to let them know to keep an eye out for my transcript and to notify me if they didn't receive it. In the end, it wasn't an issue.

Thank you! Fortunately, it updated itself the day of the deadline, so no more panicking :)