2018 App Crunch Time

1 hour ago, snickus said:

Late letters are the bane of my existence!

How important it is varies by school. UW-Madison, for example, *really* needs at least two letters to arrive not too long after the deadline. If you don't have those in, your application can't get forwarded to the admissions committee (which is already reviewing applications).

MSU already reviewed apps, and it sounds like they're done with that. I only had 1 letter in at the time they reviewed. :( Here's to hoping they really liked the rest of my app enough to overcome that handicap. :unsure:

I'd suggest checking with schools where your letters are late to see when they start reviewing apps. I'd been assuming schools didn't really start reviewing until Jan, so I was lax with my late letter writers at first. 

How do you know they’ve already reviewed apps?

EDIT: I’m referring to MSU, lol :D

Edited by mk-8

So, this morning I wake up from an email to my prof saying she's sorry and she tried to submit it earlier but there was a glitch and it was now in. She also thanked me for a card I left her and asked for my mailing address so she could send me a gift. Also had another email from my school that my transcripts have been sent, including to me. It's a Christmas miracle! :lol:

I feel your pain too.

I need to complete all my SOPs and submit them so my professors can write LORs. urgghhhhh I feel like I am rushing it all.

I need to mail some transcripts overseas which will take another couple of days, so I really hope to get it all done by the end of this month.

Anyone applying to masters in the UK?

2 hours ago, dis13 said:

I feel your pain too.

I need to complete all my SOPs and submit them so my professors can write LORs. urgghhhhh I feel like I am rushing it all.

I need to mail some transcripts overseas which will take another couple of days, so I really hope to get it all done by the end of this month.

Anyone applying to masters in the UK?

I applied to UK schools last year and attended one! Happy to answer questions.

On ‎2017‎년 ‎12‎월 ‎20‎일 at 4:13 AM, unicornsarereal said:

I applied to UK schools last year and attended one! Happy to answer questions.

Thank you! :)

Did you double space your personal statement? It seems like US schools require it, but I can't find info about UK schools.

And will my PS be too long if they are around 1300 words? Some schools don't mention specific requirements for the wordcount, so this worries me.

Thanks in advance!

On 12/21/2017 at 3:06 AM, dis13 said:

Thank you! :)

Did you double space your personal statement? It seems like US schools require it, but I can't find info about UK schools.

And will my PS be too long if they are around 1300 words? Some schools don't mention specific requirements for the wordcount, so this worries me.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the delayed response!

Mine were all much shorter, like 450-650. I double spaced or 1.5 spaced. 

If you are worried about word count, just know that UK schools expect much less fluff in their statements. They just want to know what you've done, what you intend to study. Message me your email and I can send you a few examples if you'd like. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had wanted to come here and freak out with everyone else but I was too busy getting my apps in and taking finals in my MA program!!  Glad to hear  I am not the only one! 

My applications are all in!  I feel good about my SOP and writing sample, though my writing sample is only 11 pages (some schools requested 15).  It's the introduction to my Master's thesis, which is still incomplete, so I did not want to add the next chapter-- it would have put me over the page limit for some programs, and I am in the midst of a major rewrite of it.  I don't know what the programs will think, but hopefully if the sample is too short, I will still have a decent shot.  Overall I think my application is pretty strong:  I have another advanced degree, a 4.0 in my English MA program (3 semesters in), and verbal/writing GRE scores above the 90th percentile.  What do you think?? 

I applied to Rhet/Comp programs at:  University of Illinois, Perdue, St. Louis University, Tennessee, and SIU.  I am married with children and didn't want to stray far from the midwest.  

Anyone else applying to those programs???

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you!

Edited by Daenerys

@Daenerys congrats on what sounds like a very productive semester! I'm not applying to any of the same schools, but I am also married with children and am excited to see someone else here in the same boat. I've been feeling like I'm the only one around here--but, the again, I never asked. My family is super supportive, but I am still anxious about moving everyone again (we moved for my MA too). 

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

Hey, all

I guess it's technically post-crunch for most of us and I wanted to ask - is anyone doing anything fun/exciting/relaxing during the thumb-twiddling period? 

I keep starting to think about a few Plan B ideas but I feel like I can't get too into those yet since I need to wait and see how the applications shake out. Plus, planning those out in a serious way feels exhausting and I need a break, so I've given myself until March 1 to just relax (which really means just checking my email and GC more times a day than is productive and binge-watching Netflix - I can only imagine what it'll be like in February, lol.)

Hey!

Well, now that I don't have to compulsively proofread my writing samples or Flaubertify my SOPs, I've actually resumed doing work at work (wild concept, I know). More important, I've begun to pick up where I left off on exercising and playing piano. Other than that, I've been catching up on reading, writing a little here and there, and reading the news again, but I can't say I have anything that interesting to do! Just trying not to panic. Kind of tall order, even after having submitted my last application only five days ago. Oh well... 

I am in full self-distracting mode right now--I'm actively trying to make myself forget to keep compulsively and irrationally checking all my app portals. So far this has involved a lot of reading, some gestures toward exercise, and much more guitar playing than I'd allowed myself when I was putting apps together. And a pretty terrifying amount of Netflix.

I've been telling myself that I'd start a few recording projects during this thumb-twiddling period, so I think that'll be in the near future for me too. 

I would say hang in there and that decisions will come before we know it, but I feel like that's more terrifying than comforting!

1 hour ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Hey!

Well, now that I don't have to compulsively proofread my writing samples or Flaubertify my SOPs, I've actually resumed doing work at work (wild concept, I know). More important, I've begun to pick up where I left off on exercising and playing piano. Other than that, I've been catching up on reading, writing a little here and there, and reading the news again, but I can't say I have anything that interesting to do! Just trying not to panic. Kind of tall order, even after having submitted my last application only five days ago. Oh well... 

That's awesome you're getting back to the things you were doing prior. I've been trying to do the same but I'm also in full-time, low-key panic mode. I accidentally picked up a hard copy of my WS yesterday (didn't remember I'd left it on my desk), realized what it was, and was like "oh no, you don't need to be here or anywhere near me at all, actually." 

34 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

I am in full self-distracting mode right now--I'm actively trying to make myself forget to keep compulsively and irrationally checking all my app portals. So far this has involved a lot of reading, some gestures toward exercise, and much more guitar playing than I'd allowed myself when I was putting apps together. And a pretty terrifying amount of Netflix.

I've been telling myself that I'd start a few recording projects during this thumb-twiddling period, so I think that'll be in the near future for me too. 

I would say hang in there and that decisions will come before we know it, but I feel like that's more terrifying than comforting!

It's so tempting to check (just once! and by once, I mean several times!) and the general "thanks for applying don't forget to pay" emails (if you have those) have been putting my cardiac system to the test. Ooofda. But recording projects sounds awesome! Also, Netflix is key - I've been pushing through Black Mirror (so good, so good). 

And you're spot-on; I'm thrilled that in, like, 6 weeks we'll have some answers (maybe) but terrified simultaneously. 

29 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

I accidentally picked up a hard copy of my WS yesterday (didn't remember I'd left it on my desk), realized what it was, and was like "oh no, you don't need to be here or anywhere near me at all, actually." 

About two minutes after I submitted my last application, I gathered all my writing-sample rough drafts strewn across the floor and shredded them to pieces. I may or may not have laughed maniacally while doing so. 

I also second the goodness of Black Mirror. It's been a while since I've seen a pilot so well realized and paced. On a completely different TV note, I'd recommend The Good Place, if you haven't seen it yet. Ted Danson will lead you through these trying times!

2 hours ago, FreakyFoucault said:

About two minutes after I submitted my last application, I gathered all my writing-sample rough drafts strewn across the floor and shredded them to pieces. I may or may not have laughed maniacally while doing so. 

I also second the goodness of Black Mirror. It's been a while since I've seen a pilot so well realized and paced. On a completely different TV note, I'd recommend The Good Place, if you haven't seen it yet. Ted Danson will lead you through these trying times!

This is brilliant - I now have plans for my Sunday evening. And yes, the pilot was fantastic. 

And I've heard great things! I'll put it next on my to-watch! 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, Daenerys said:

I applied to Rhet/Comp programs at:  University of Illinois, Perdue, St. Louis University, Tennessee, and SIU.  I am married with children and didn't want to stray far from the midwest.  

I hope you meant Purdue, unless you're looking to get a PhD in chicken production.  :lol:

Edited by ltr317

1 hour ago, ltr317 said:

I hope you meant Purdue, unless you're looking to get a PhD in chicken production.  :lol:

I did mean that but didn’t catch the typo until it was too late to edit it.  ??

On 1/5/2018 at 12:31 PM, JustPoesieAlong said:

@Daenerys congrats on what sounds like a very productive semester! I'm not applying to any of the same schools, but I am also married with children and am excited to see someone else here in the same boat. I've been feeling like I'm the only one around here--but, the again, I never asked. My family is super supportive, but I am still anxious about moving everyone again (we moved for my MA too). 

Hi! Thanks!!  Glad to know I’m not the only one either!!   I am a kept woman and hubbys job enables me to pursue my education and not live like a total pauper (like we did in law school), so moving is not in the cards for us until I finish my PhD.  If it were, I would have applied to more schools.  My kids and hubby are really supportive though.  I graduate in May with my MA and they are really excited for me.

I was gong to ask about your kids but I think I will start a new thread and ask everyone!!

3 hours ago, ltr317 said:

I hope you meant Purdue, unless you're looking to get a PhD in chicken production.

Okay, please tell me I'm not the only DFW fan who can't think of Purdue without hearing "Year of the Purdue Wonder Chicken" ... 

10 hours ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Hey!

Welcome to Grad Cafe! I'm enjoying your posts. If you don't mind me asking: What are your fields of interests and which programs did you apply to?

Thanks, @Warelin! I don't mind at all! My primary field is Victorian lit, especially related to the history of science (particularly abnormal psychology) and form in the Victorian novel (vague, true, but I'm working on it). But I'm also interested in the Beats and postmodern fiction (especially in the vein of Pynchon and DFW).

I applied to the Ivies (cue that deGrasse Tyson "We've Got a Badass Over Here" meme...), Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley, OSU, Chicago, Northwestern, UVA, Johns Hopkins, and Duke.

And so,

Bridesmaids.gif

So, to backtrack to recommendation letter panic—one of my letters still says its not submitted, but that the prof started it a month ago. she's gotten her letter in to all my other schools just fine. The app was due 12/15. I've sent her two reminders, to no avail. Not sure what to do and starting to think the problem might be on the school's end? They're still listing my GRE as not received even though i sent it 2-3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, @unicornsarereal... At this point in the game, I'd probably try to call your professor for that last rec letter. Same thing kind of happened to me (although only a few days before one of my apps was due), and it turned out that the letter-submission-instruction e-mail got buried in a previous thread with four or five other schools' messages. Sending reminder e-mails didn't do much good since they again attached to that same thread. Finally, I just called my professor, and she was totally nice about it. She knows that the struggle is real. Hopefully, they all do. I don't think a friendly (albeit panicky) call would be unduly importunate. 

Good luck!

2 hours ago, unicornsarereal said:

So, to backtrack to recommendation letter panic—one of my letters still says its not submitted, but that the prof started it a month ago. she's gotten her letter in to all my other schools just fine. The app was due 12/15. I've sent her two reminders, to no avail. Not sure what to do and starting to think the problem might be on the school's end? They're still listing my GRE as not received even though i sent it 2-3 months ago.

I also had a Dec 15 deadline with a prof that said it was 'started' but not submitted. It turned out, there was a glitch in the system and she had to resubmit it. In case we happen to be having the problem at the same school, this was for Utah.

4 hours ago, unicornsarereal said:

Today is a day of letters, I see - two of my schools are missing one letter (12/15 deadlines). Both schools said they'd notify me after Jan 1 if I was missing any materials - did your program indicate anything like that? I know some schools start reviewing right away, but they're usually up-front about the importance of the deadlines (I'm pulling only from my experience here, though.) 

Since you're missing both the letter and the GRE, I think you're in the clear to call the department - if this is a school that starts reviewing mid-January, you have to time to get this in order (alternatively, they may very well have all your things and a glitch could be preventing you from seeing it). They may also give you a more direct way to submit (i.e., the email address of an academic coordinator). *Speak and they listen, I guess - one of my problem schools literally just emailed me requesting that last letter by January 15th and they are asking for it to be sent via email to the dept admin, not via the portal.*

Best of luck - this is so stressful and largely out of your control, but it seems like you're doing everything you can. I'm sure you'll get it in order soon. 

I can share in on the pain of late letters. One of my letter writers has uploaded about half of my letters late. They've gotten in (I'm pretty sure- one school I can't check), just a couple days late. Hopefully that's okay, it's a bit stressful with these things we can't control, huh? 

I submitted my last app today, though, so the waiting truly is on now!