Materials Science and Engineering Fall 2018 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

6 hours ago, usm990 said:

Anyone here got admitted to Caltech? Didn't see any acceptance entries. I contacted the department and found out that I was wait-listed. Any idea when I might hear about a final decision? 

I also have not received an answer. Thanks so much for sharing. I saw an acceptance a long while back but several rejections in the last week. I am also interested in contacting the department--if you wouldn't mind, who did you contact and what did you say/ did they sound amenable to be contacted? I hope such a thing would not offend

15 hours ago, ChemFan said:

I also have not received an answer. Thanks so much for sharing. I saw an acceptance a long while back but several rejections in the last week. I am also interested in contacting the department--if you wouldn't mind, who did you contact and what did you say/ did they sound amenable to be contacted? I hope such a thing would not offend

I contacted "Blankenship, Jennifer N." <Jennifer@caltech.edu". She was quite nice actually. I first contacted her about 20 days ago when she said that the department would send out decisions in two weeks. Afterwards, upon not receiving a decision I contacted her again and she told me that I was wait-listed. Where else have you gotten replies from? 

7 hours ago, usm990 said:

I contacted "Blankenship, Jennifer N." <Jennifer@caltech.edu". She was quite nice actually. I first contacted her about 20 days ago when she said that the department would send out decisions in two weeks. Afterwards, upon not receiving a decision I contacted her again and she told me that I was wait-listed. Where else have you gotten replies from? 

Thank you so much!! I am going to contact her as well. Do you think that everyone who hasn't heard back is on the waitlist? 

I have heard back with acceptances from Northwestern and Illinois, rejection from MIT, and waitlist from Oxford . I have also been accepted to Michigan but that is in chemical engineering .

How about you?

On 2/24/2018 at 11:12 PM, ChemFan said:

Thank you so much!! I am going to contact her as well. Do you think that everyone who hasn't heard back is on the waitlist? 

I have heard back with acceptances from Northwestern and Illinois, rejection from MIT, and waitlist from Oxford . I have also been accepted to Michigan but that is in chemical engineering .

How about you?

Offered admission from MIT, Northwestern and CMU. Rejected from Harvard (Applied Physics, Materials Science track). Caltech's is the only decision that might make think twice about choosing MIT!

I applied to Northwestern and New Jersey Institute of Technology. Haven't heard anything back from both. I guess I'm rejected in Northwestern since I did not get any emails. Did anyone heard anything from NJIT?, I did not saw any post about that univ in the gradcafe either.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, WhyTry said:

Yep, UC Davis :) 

how about you? 

Nice!!! Pretty much a done deal with University of Delaware for me. Only got accepted to Cornell for the MEng program and I'm not interested. And UConn is trying to play mind games or something and I'm kinda over it haha. Ready to just commit and get it over with

Edited by ahgfjhgf

12 hours ago, ahgfjhgf said:

Nice!!! Pretty much a done deal with University of Delaware for me. Only got accepted to Cornell for the MEng program and I'm not interested. And UConn is trying to play mind games or something and I'm kinda over it haha. Ready to just commit and get it over with

Oh, as long as you’re happy with your choice! What kind of research are you interested in? 

9 hours ago, WhyTry said:

Oh, as long as you’re happy with your choice! What kind of research are you interested in? 

Yup! It wasn't my top choice but it's the only PhD program where I've received a definitive acceptance. I also really loved the dept and clicked with the current students when I visited, so I think it's a good fit. I would love to go to Cornell but it would cost me $65K for one year. Doesn't seem worth it.

My interests are mostly semiconducting thin films and the like. At UD I would be using MBE to make III-V semiconductors, mostly for photovoltaics.

What will you be working on at UC Davis?

10 hours ago, ahgfjhgf said:

Yup! It wasn't my top choice but it's the only PhD program where I've received a definitive acceptance. I also really loved the dept and clicked with the current students when I visited, so I think it's a good fit. I would love to go to Cornell but it would cost me $65K for one year. Doesn't seem worth it.

My interests are mostly semiconducting thin films and the like. At UD I would be using MBE to make III-V semiconductors, mostly for photovoltaics.

What will you be working on at UC Davis?

Oh im interested in thin films too, specifically electronic/semiconductor materials. I don’t know what I’d be working on yet, since students will list adviser choices and are matched at the end of the first quarter. 

Fit and money is everything! Lol 

Hi guys, has anyone else gotten an interview request from Duke for their Masters program? I'm not sure if it's a good sign or not but I thought it was unusual to interview for MS programs. Anyone in the same boat or have general interview advice? None of my other schools did interviews so I'm not quite sure what to expect...if it's just a formality or if it'll be really critical or what.

On 4.4.2018 at 7:36 PM, Askar said:

McGill

Hi have you heard from them now? I also applied to McGill and my application is still in review. I learnt the department is going through some loops maybe that could  be a  reason for the delay.

On 4/6/2018 at 1:12 AM, ccsurplus said:

Hi have you heard from them now? I also applied to McGill and my application is still in review. I learnt the department is going through some loops maybe that could  be a  reason for the delay.

Hi, I spoke with my potential supervisor, he told me ''wait'', and I spoke with student from McGill, He told me answer come in June