speechie1996

Question

I'm a senior applying to graduate schools for Speech Pathology. My major is Health Sciences with a concentration in Communication disorders. I took my GRE and I got a 142 Verbal, 152 Quant and 3.5 writing. I know my scores are very average and I don't know if I should retake them.The minimum for all my schools is 140 Verbal and 152 Quant. My GPA is a 3.6 and I feel my essays are good and my letters will be good. My resume is really packed- I have over 1,000 service hours at many different locations, shadowing hours, I worked at an AAC communication camp, I am the President of a service organization and on the state board for the same organization, I help run the $40,000 Relay for Life event at my school and am on the committee for planning our annual "Day of Service". I also have research experience with a Speech Professor and am a part of NSSHLA on campus and have started an initiative for VocalID in our club. Do you think I should retake my GRE or do you the rest of my application will balance it all out? 

Thanks for the advice :) 

1 answer to this question

In my field, you would need to retake the GRE. A score anywhere the average does not mean an immediate discard, but it gives the committee a reason to start asking questions about your application in general. The problem with retaking it now is that you are getting very close to deadlines and may not be able to take it again before them. Can you take the GRE before your deadlines? If yes, then I would encourage it.