Moving Somewhere New Alone

ashley623

There’s also nothing wrong with ordering a pizza in on occasion OR you may be lucky enough to be in an area that has Amazon Restaurants. I can order from about 40 places in my neighborhood and have it delivered. Anything from German to bar food to Greek. You name it and I can have it delivered. I also get my groceries delivered from the local grocery store when it’s just too darned cold to go up there. I think they use Instacart. 

24 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Who are you talking to @khigh ?

Sorry, I guess I replied to the whole thing instead of specifically to you.  I just saw you mention something about eating healthier and not liking to cook.

@khigh ah yeah. Unfortunately, pizza is definitely off my list. Carbs are really bad for me due to a chronic condition (thus the trying to take care of my health things now) so I've cut out all processed food and grains so my carbs are only coming from veggies and fruit. :) 

6 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

@khigh ah yeah. Unfortunately, pizza is definitely off my list. Carbs are really bad for me due to a chronic condition (thus the trying to take care of my health things now) so I've cut out all processed food and grains so my carbs are only coming from veggies and fruit. :) 

If you move to a city, there is Amazon Restaurants.  Any restaurant in your area that has take out or delivery can be done through the Amazon program. I typically order from the bratwurst place or this nice Greek/Mediterranean restaurant. Grocery delivery also helps plan out meals because, at least for my couple grocery stores here, you can put in your recipes and what you have on hand and it will generate a shopping list that you can order from and have delivered.  I do this for snow days because it is really worth the $5. I hate cooking, usually, so I typically do Amazon Restaurants or Amazon Prime Now. 

@GreenEyedTrombonist, hopefully you can find some good cooking blogs with recipes for the slow cooker (or instant pot if you go that route in the future). I go through phases where I love cooking and others where I hate it. When I love it, I do things like batch cook for breakfast (mini quiches for the week are super easy and you can make them in a cupcake pan AND you could easily do this without any dairy), make a big pot of soup/stew/chili (I have a tendency toward sweet potato and kidney/black bean chili), and/or use my oven to roast a pan of vegetables so that I can more easily make meals during the week. If you're truly averse to cooking meat, you could supplement with something like those deli rotisserie chickens if you think you want/need animal protein in your diet.

And I'll second the comment that people won't care about the what's missing and will just eat the tasty free food being offered to them.

• 1 month later...
On 18/11/2017 at 7:34 PM, katie64 said:

I am a 22-year-old undergrad who is graduating in three weeks and applying for MA programs for Fall 2018. My entire life, I have always lived with either my dad or my mom and at least one sibling. The past two years, I have lived with my dad, sister, and two-year-old niece because my university is only twenty minutes from my house. 

All of my programs I am applying to are out-of-state in locations I don't know anyone -- some states, I haven't even been to! I am serious about moving; a huge reason I broke up with my boyfriend and strictly decided not to pursue any relationship whatsoever is because I don't want to be tied down here. I've lived in my current location for nearly my entire life, and am really discontent with it -- I absolutely know I don't want to live here forever. Most of my family will be moving away in the next few years, anyway. 

Even though the prospect of going somewhere new is very exciting, I'm also somewhat nervous. Sometimes I fall into the trap of feeling lonely, and am afraid to be so far from anyone I know. I will be taking my dog with me as well as my horse (although might wait a semester before shipping him up). Has anyone else felt like this when moving away for the first time to a totally new place? Any tips for dealing with the anxieties of it? 

I understand what you are feeling: I am a 23, I just graduated from my undergrad program this week. My whole life I've been living with my mother, even during university because we live in a big city and I studied here. It looks like I am goin to Iowa City this fall (if no other offers come soon) and I don't know a single person there. I am not from the states, my first language is not English (I learned English when I was 14, after learning French, so is not my second either) and I am used to a tropical weather, so I am very nervous of moving out... I think this is normal. We will be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

(I did not read the other replies so this may be a repeat, sorry!)

I moved to a different continent completely alone and I did not speak the national language. I am not a very independent person, so it was VERY difficult for me. I will say maybe the one thing I wish I had been prepared for is all of my friends/family back home asking me every week or so if I've made any friends or done anything exciting. I was honestly just trying to get used to being there and settle in. Making a life long friend probably isn't going to happen in the first month, and it got SO SO SO annoying to constantly get those questions. BUT I do realize that they just love me and want to hear about what's going on. Moral of the story: it may be sort of difficult at times to stay connected with them at the beginning, but that get better.