2018 Education Applicants

Waiting&Hoping2018

Hello everyone!

I know a lot of the deadlines are coming up soon for education programs so I thought it was a good time to see how it is going for everyone? What program/degree level are you applying for? Personally, I am applying to special education doctoral programs and am now calmly anxiously waiting. Hope everyone is doing well! 

Hello! Have you submitted your applications? I am applying for doctoral (PhD) programmes too and have spent the whole day working on my SoP, weirdly looking forward to December 1st when the application will be finished and the outcome will be out of my hands!! Where are you applying? How did your applications go?

Hey! Yes, I did submit them recently.  I know what you mean about the relief when there's nothing else you can do!  I'm applying to Vanderbilt, Texas-Austin, and UVA.  I think they went well but I always worry I could have done something better.  Where are you applying to?  What are you getting your PhD in?

21 hours ago, Waiting&Hoping2018 said:

Hey! Yes, I did submit them recently.  I know what you mean about the relief when there's nothing else you can do!  I'm applying to Vanderbilt, Texas-Austin, and UVA.  I think they went well but I always worry I could have done something better.  Where are you applying to?  What are you getting your PhD in?

Congratulations on submitting, and I'm sure they will have been great! I'm applying to HGSE for the PhD in Human Development, Learning and Teaching. I'm working on my CV at the moment as I have never written an academic CV before, it feels very empty though as I have more employment experience in NGOs than I do research experience :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for starting this thread :)

I have submitted applications to Stanford, Michigan State, and Georgia State.  My program is Education Policy.  @Espeon It's nice to hear that you are enjoying your program in Policy; where are you studying?   !  I have an interview/visit with MSU next Friday and they told me to expect to be there almost all day.  They seem to be moving the process along pretty quickly. 

Any advice on what to expect for a FULL day interview/visit?? 

21 hours ago, Escussel said:

Not at your school or field, but my interview visit was a lot of schmoozing, getting to know current doc students, chatting informally with professors, seeing the campus, and then sitting down with my potential advisor and later potential labmates to learn about current projects and talk about research interests. It was a very full day for an introvert. I would make sure to prepare your 1-minute elevator pitch about research interests, and it might be helpful also to have several small-talk topics for all of the times you'll be meeting new people during meals and/or campus tours etc.

Thanks for starting this thread, @Waiting&Hoping2018! I only applied to one program this cycle--Vanderbilt's Ph.D. in Special Education. My husband will still have one year left of his clinical doctorate in Fall 2018, and it's the only program I'd gladly go long distance for! If I'm not admitted, I'll apply to a full round of schools for Fall 2019.

SPED folks, which program area are you applying in? I got my M.Ed. in ECSE at Vanderbilt, so I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the program or Nashville! :)

On 11/20/2017 at 4:57 PM, imagical said:

Congratulations on submitting, and I'm sure they will have been great! I'm applying to HGSE for the PhD in Human Development, Learning and Teaching. I'm working on my CV at the moment as I have never written an academic CV before, it feels very empty though as I have more employment experience in NGOs than I do research experience :mellow:

Thanks! I hope things are going well with the process for you.  Work experience goes a long way too! :)

On 12/8/2017 at 10:49 PM, Escussel said:

Thank you for starting this thread :)

I have submitted applications to Stanford, Michigan State, and Georgia State.  My program is Education Policy.  @Espeon It's nice to hear that you are enjoying your program in Policy; where are you studying?   !  I have an interview/visit with MSU next Friday and they told me to expect to be there almost all day.  They seem to be moving the process along pretty quickly. 

Hi Escussel! I'm studying at Stanford. That's awesome that you have already heard from MSU! I would echo Levon3's thoughts on interview day, and add that if possible, make a concerted effort to see the campus--I didn't do that at every school I interviewed with/visited, and it put those schools at a disadvantage because I had a hard time seeing myself on the campus. I think it really helps to get an idea of what daily life would be like. 

• 1 month later...

Hi @Waiting&Hoping2018! I actually only applied to one place, and since I'm anticipating interview invites going out this week (based on previous years' Results pages), I'm pretty much struggling to focus on anything else!! Has anybody heard anything from anywhere they applied? I hope everyone is doing well and is keeping it together better than I am :lol:

Still haven’t heard anything from the HID/Special Education program at UT Austin or Vanderbilt... Hopefully word goes out soon. Fingers crossed.

First post, after being a lurker for a long while.
I applied to UT Austin and Columbia Teacher's College for Ed Tech.  I am a bit terrified because I only applied to two places. I probably should have applied to a few other programs, but I live in Austin and would like to stay here.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by joolytron

I applied to six programs and am waiting to hear back. I applied to Vanderbilt, UVA, Harvard, Stanford, Wisconsin and Berkeley. Has anyone heard back from any of those programs? My concentration is leadership and policy...varies a little bit program to program.

33 minutes ago, smo1987 said:

I applied to six programs and am waiting to hear back. I applied to Vanderbilt, UVA, Harvard, Stanford, Wisconsin and Berkeley. Has anyone heard back from any of those programs? My concentration is leadership and policy...varies a little bit program to program.

I've heard back from Vanderbilt and another school not on your list.

Edited by Soon2BePhD

3 minutes ago, highered01 said:

Can you provide more information, @Soon2BePhD? Are you K-12 or Higher Ed? What was the contact (interview invitation, acceptance, etc.)? And, what is your profile? Thanks!

I was accepted for K-12. I would prefer not to share my profile publicly at this time but feel free to dm me if you want more detailed info.

6 minutes ago, Soon2BePhD said:

I was accepted for K-12. I would prefer not to share my profile publicly at this time but feel free to dm me if you want more detailed info.

Thanks, @Soon2BePhD! No worries. I applied for the Higher Ed (HELP) track.