2018 Education Applicants

Waiting&Hoping2018

On 18/01/2018 at 3:11 AM, Soon2BePhD said:

I've heard back from Vanderbilt and another school not on your list.

Did you have to interview @Soon2BePhD?? It seems interesting they would just send you an acceptance with no interview. I applied for higher ed policy track so I'm wondering when those interview offers go out, as I was under the impression that you had to interview twice at Vanderbilt.

On 12/12/2017 at 5:02 PM, Waiting&Hoping2018 said:

@Birdy-Bird  The area I applied to is focusing on LD/High-Incidence.  Are you focusing on ECSE at the doctoral level too? 

@Waiting&Hoping2018, this is @Birdy-Bird! I just realized I still remembered my password from 4 years ago. Apparently I haven't really branched out in username selection. ?

Yes, I hope to continue in ECSE with the same advisor! I did a LOT of research on other schools and talked with many other potential POIs, but no other program came close for me. 

12 hours ago, singapore_sling said:

Did you have to interview @Soon2BePhD?? It seems interesting they would just send you an acceptance with no interview. I applied for higher ed policy track so I'm wondering when those interview offers go out, as I was under the impression that you had to interview twice at Vanderbilt.

I had a phone interview. 

Edited by Soon2BePhD

Well, it appears that I may have gotten an interview invite (it was a request to video conference with the faculty, so I believe that was the case).... But, for the wrong focus area. The severe disabilities committee contacted me, but my application was intended for the high incidence disabilities committee. Here’s to hoping my application gets where it needs to be and they still reach out...

I applied to U of Washington's Masters Special Education program, with an Applied Behavior Analysis track. It was honestly a last minute decision to apply there (boyfriend has always wanted to live in Seattle, so I thought whatever I'll apply). Anyone apply here or know anything of this program?

13 hours ago, highered01 said:

FYI, there is a Stanford GSE PhD (SHIPS) post on the results page. Interview via email on Jan 23. GPA: 3.67. GRE: 168/170/4.5.

I saw that! I applied for the R.I.L.E. PhD. Do you think all of the programs will interview around the same time?

Does Stanford GSE require an interview for ALL the admitted applicants into their PhD program (SHIPS)? i.e., if we have NOT received an email inviting us for an interview, should we assume that we are rejected? 

Edited by Cookiz

Hey, @edu_21 and @Cookiz! I was under the impression that Stanford didn’t do interviews at all for their PhD programs in Education. Previous posters seemed to understand the same—and previous posts only list admissions decisions. There have been two more posts today, so, I’m not super hopeful anymore. I would also assume that the programs are on a relatively consistent schedule. I will say, it seems like Stanford sends clear decisions to all applicants (acceptances and even rejections) in mid-February, so that’s nice. Fingers crossed for everyone! 

14 minutes ago, highered01 said:

Hey, @edu_21 and @Cookiz! I was under the impression that Stanford didn’t do interviews at all for their PhD programs in Education. Previous posters seemed to understand the same—and previous posts only list admissions decisions. There have been two more posts today, so, I’m not super hopeful anymore. I would also assume that the programs are on a relatively consistent schedule. I will say, it seems like Stanford sends clear decisions to all applicants (acceptances and even rejections) in mid-February, so that’s nice. Fingers crossed for everyone! 

Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I thought too (that they wouldn't do any interview and just directly admit/reject people)! But the previous posts made me doubt that... @.@ and right, good luck to everyone!

Hi, I just got an interview invite from a dream school but from a different professor that I had so fervently wished for. I am happy but confused!

Does anyone more knowledgeable than me on the admission process know why this kind of circumstance happens? Does this mean that professors #1 as well as #2 on my list did not want me? The email from this professor says "The faculty of the *** program met, we were impressed" "You could be a great match for my lab."

I can see that there are some overlapping research interests, but at the same time the last two paragraphs of my SOP to this school reads like a love letter to professor #1. 

Please help! So confused!

8 hours ago, cal03 said:

Hi, I just got an interview invite from a dream school but from a different professor that I had so fervently wished for. I am happy but confused!

Does anyone more knowledgeable than me on the admission process know why this kind of circumstance happens? Does this mean that professors #1 as well as #2 on my list did not want me? The email from this professor says "The faculty of the *** program met, we were impressed" "You could be a great match for my lab."

I can see that there are some overlapping research interests, but at the same time the last two paragraphs of my SOP to this school reads like a love letter to professor #1. 

Please help! So confused!

There are lots of reasons this could happen. Professors 1 and 2 could not be taking students or could have preferred a different applicant. All could have shifts in their research focus that aren't yet apparent from their publications (there is a three-five year cycle between current interests and publication)--if this is the case, you might actually be a better match with the prof who wrote than with the other two.

11 hours ago, highered01 said:

11 hours ago, Cookiz said:

Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I thought too (that they wouldn't do any interview and just directly admit/reject people)! But the previous posts made me doubt that... @.@ and right, good luck to everyone!

Thanks for the update! Good luck to the both of you as well!

7 hours ago, t_ruth said:

There are lots of reasons this could happen. Professors 1 and 2 could not be taking students or could have preferred a different applicant. All could have shifts in their research focus that aren't yet apparent from their publications (there is a three-five year cycle between current interests and publication)--if this is the case, you might actually be a better match with the prof who wrote than with the other two.

Thank you so much t_ruth.

I do realize with your help that that there are a variety of possibilities... My pressing question now is, should I talk to this professor about how this happened? I'm afraid I'll come across as unenthusiastic. If I do talk to him about the topic of advisors,  how should I choose my words?

2 minutes ago, cal03 said:

Thank you so much t_ruth.

I do realize with your help that that there are a variety of possibilities... My pressing question now is, should I talk to this professor about how this happened? I'm afraid I'll come across as unenthusiastic. If I do talk to him about the topic of advisors,  how should I choose my words?

Look at this professor's work. See what you can get enthusiastic about. During the conversation (if you have one), ask about current an upcoming projects and see where that conversation takes you. I wouldn't mention wanting to work more with the other professors at all. Don't lie, but, if you could see yourself working with this person, give the conversation a shot (and don't ask about why you didn't get your first choice).

2 minutes ago, t_ruth said:

Look at this professor's work. See what you can get enthusiastic about. During the conversation (if you have one), ask about current an upcoming projects and see where that conversation takes you. I wouldn't mention wanting to work more with the other professors at all. Don't lie, but, if you could see yourself working with this person, give the conversation a shot (and don't ask about why you didn't get your first choice).

Thank you! That sounds like solid advice. 

14 hours ago, fsimmons said:

Congratulations! I got into the MEd for PHEL and will be there at the end of next month! Is Austin one of your top programs? 

Congratulations to you, too! It is! Vandy and UT Austin are my top programs! Just waiting to hear from Vandy now...

Hi, all! I'm a PhD applicant to several Higher Ed/Ed Policy programs. Has anyone heard from (or heard back from, post-interview) Michigan, UVA, or Columbia? Thanks, and best of luck to everyone! 

5 hours ago, highered01 said:

Hi, all! I'm a PhD applicant to several Higher Ed/Ed Policy programs. Has anyone heard from (or heard back from, post-interview) Michigan, UVA, or Columbia? Thanks, and best of luck to everyone! 

Spoke (posted?) too soon! Got a call from the Director of CSHPE at Michigan with an offer of admission to the PhD in Higher Education program this afternoon. So excited! 

On 1/30/2018 at 3:16 PM, Katie clouse said:

Hello,

I applied to 3 masters level special education programs. So far I have been accepted to Ohio state and university of Texas Austin! I am waiting to hear back from Vanderbilt following my interview. Anyone else anxiously waiting to hear from vandy? 

I am still waiting to hear from Vanderbilt, but I do know that the SPED program is reviewing apps this week. I was told that we should hear by the end of this week, but I'm sure that could also go into next week.