The Official "Make Everyone Else Jealous" Thread

Minnesotan

Congrats, fellow neuro people! Since my last post in this thread I received two more interview invites. Yipe... I'm starting to worry about taking so much time off work to go visit these schools. But of course, I'd rather have too many invitations than too few, so I am NOT complaining. Still waiting to hear from three more. I'm not sure if I'd turn any of them down, if they all invited me, but my calendar is already really full... I guess I'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Congrats, fellow neuro people! Since my last post in this thread I received two more interview invites. Yipe... I'm starting to worry about taking so much time off work to go visit these schools. But of course, I'd rather have too many invitations than too few, so I am NOT complaining. Still waiting to hear from three more. I'm not sure if I'd turn any of them down, if they all invited me, but my calendar is already really full... I guess I'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Did you apply through the Neuroscience Department? I haven't seem to come across many people who applied to the same programs I did, through the Psychology department. In any case, where are your interviews? (and congrats!!!)

Yes, I applied through neuroscience departments or through biology/biomedical departments.

Interviewing at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, UNC Chapel Hill, WUSTL and Emory. So excited! Although I'm sure by the end of February I'll be wiped out.

Still waiting to hear from Berkeley, Columbia, and UT Austin. Looks like no one else has heard from any of them yet either, so all I can do is wait...

*nods* I applied through neuroscience or biology departments as well. Congrats to both of you on the interviews!

It's actually just setting in now that I'm going to be on interviews five weekends in a row.. fortunately my school schedule is such that I can take off Fridays completely. It shouldn't be a problem to make arrangements with my professor when I have to miss my one Thursday class since she's head of the bio and chem departments and helped me through this whole application process, and I work part-time at a restaurant where I'm one of the "senior" waitresses so they're very flexible with my schedule. But still.. February's going to be crazy, I'll be lucky if I get to sleep at all!

*nods* I applied through neuroscience or biology departments as well. Congrats to both of you on the interviews!

It's actually just setting in now that I'm going to be on interviews five weekends in a row.. fortunately my school schedule is such that I can take off Fridays completely. It shouldn't be a problem to make arrangements with my professor when I have to miss my one Thursday class since she's head of the bio and chem departments and helped me through this whole application process, and I work part-time at a restaurant where I'm one of the "senior" waitresses so they're very flexible with my schedule. But still.. February's going to be crazy, I'll be lucky if I get to sleep at all!

Woah 5 interview weekends! And you actually got lucky enough that none of them are on the same day? That's impressive, congrats. So where are all these interviews? Leaning toward one in particular yet?

It's actually just setting in now that I'm going to be on interviews five weekends in a row.

Wow! That's insane! I'm so glad I probably won't have to do any interviews at all. I can't imagine being out of town five weekends in a row. I think I'd lose my mind, slowly but surely between driving to the airport and being on a zillion airplanes. Good luck to you!

Haha.. yeah, I can't believe that none of them are on the same weekend. I go to UC Irvine first (fly out Feb. 7), then UMass Med, then Brown, then Georgetown, and Dartmouth last. It actually won't be *too* bad, I'm in Rhode Island right now and my parents live in Massachusetts so the drive to Brown and UMass will be easy. Dartmouth is a bit further but I'll still just drive myself there. I drive a lot anyway, I loff my car(5-speed Jetta, moonroof, heated seats, premium sound) and I'm also a closet karaoke addict so I can use all the alone time in my car to practice :D I'll still probably spend my entire spring break sleeping though!

I'm not really leaning toward any one in particular yet.. there's a lot of research going on at all of them that I'm really interested in, I'll have a better idea once I actually visit the schools. Of course now it's going to take all my willpower to get my ADD self to focus on schoolwork in between all the traveling!

I just found out that I was accepted into the UT-Austin computational and applied math phd program with a fellowship! I thought I had no chance of getting in so I'm super excited!

So jealous! I really want to get into UT-Austin. Got rejected when I applied to do my MA there...

I just got an email of acceptance from the University of Wisconsin at Madison for a Masters in Classics. It is a total shock, as the deadline was just the 5th of January and I know that the first day of classes for the university was the 22nd of this month. I am a bit worried about funding, but they said it will be discussed on the visitation day (March 31st).

I still have five other applications to hear back from, but I am glad that I got an acceptance first.

Good luck for everyone else!

I have been accepted to UGA, Clemson, and GSU, and I also have an interview with WashU's chemistry department next week. It' s a relief to have gotten decisions this early (I had my apps sent in by September of 2007 and have been waiting FOREVER), so now I can take a breathe. I wish everyone else good luck!!

I got into St. Andrews (my top choice).

What's frustrating is that it's the only one I've heard from, and it's driving me crazy not to know about funding or any other possibilities (as in, other programs that might have accepted me).

Not to mention that I seriously doubt I'll be able to afford living in the UK for five years without funding (which I hear is more or less non-existent in UK programs). Grr.

Just for the sake of having more information available I will post my results so far (all for Physics PhD programs):

University of Pittsburgh - Accepted 1/26 via e-mail

Johns Hopkins University - Accepted 1/29 via e-mail

Waiting for:

Boston U, U Penn, UMD-CP, CMU, NYU, Columbia, Yale, Rutgers

Last time I applied to clinical psych PhD programs, all my interview notices arrived on February 1st. So when my phone rang, I knew it was good news. But I wasn't expecting an ACCEPTANCE from Minnesota! That's right! My potential advisor called me with an unofficial acceptance, details to follow. Minnesota doesn't do in-person interviews, so some people were able to make their decisions super-early. So exciting!

I told him I couldn't make a decision yet, and he understood. How awesome though, to have that in the bank as I continue to wait it out on my other schools!