The Official "Make Everyone Else Jealous" Thread

Minnesotan

As of today, I've gotten good news from 5/10 schools!

(4 acceptances, 1 all-expenses-paid visiting day)

I can breathe a sigh of relief, at least until it fully hits me that I'm going to have to pick one.

I was in transit all day today heading out to an interview weekend, and I got a call right about the time my girlfriend was going to check in. I flipped open the phone without thinking and gave a quick "sup sexy", and didn't think twice until i heard a long "ummmmm". Turns out it was the Minnesota BME department. Fortunately the guy didn't make too much of it, and decided to inform me of my acceptance just the same.

Moral of the story: I am going to look before i say something stupid from now on.

I'm feeling kind of stupid about my whole applying to a million schools thing now. I really thought I might not get in anywhere, and now I have 3 yes's and an interview!

I got my first response this week--an acceptance into Southern Illinois University's English PhD program. In addition, I've been nominated for a fellowship, which might just make SIU a contender (it is sort of at the bottom of my list for a few reasons). But it's nice to get a positive response first, nonetheless!

Good luck to all those who are still waiting for that first response!

Got my first ACCEPTANCE! At Albert Einstein College of Medicine. YAY! :D

They were my first interview (on 2/3) and said they'd get back to us with decisions in 1-3 weeks. A week later and I got a phone call from one of the profs I interviewed with to tell me the news. So exciting! I want to see if I get offers from other places, too, and I still have two or three more campus visits to go. But even if none of the other places I'm interviewing will accept me -- I AM GETTING A PHD!

I don't feel like I should brag to my friends about my admissions results, so I'm going to take this opportunity to do it to strangers...I just found out my funding package for Yale's social psych PhD program and I am so ridiculously excited! Full tuition, and $25,000 stipend for 5 years. The only work requirement is serving as a TA for 9 units (3-4 classes) between my second and fourth years. I can't believe I got such a good package at such a good program!! Ok, done bragging now.

I've gotten acceptances two days in a row, and just had to pinch myself after typing that because I still can't believe it's true. One from a school near the bottom of my list, with a fellowship nomination, and one from a school in the top half of my list, with no word on funding. Still very exciting news. I am sure my sad thinvelopes from my top three schools are still on their way, but for now, I feel good. I'm in English, by the way.

In: Kansas, Southern Illinois

Out: Nowhere (yet)

Still Waiting: Minnesota, WashU, Indiana, Purdue, Loyola Chicago, Georgia, UMass Amherst, Colorado, Iowa, Ohio, Nebraska

picklejar said:
I've gotten acceptances two days in a row, and just had to pinch myself after typing that because I still can't believe it's true. One from a school near the bottom of my list, with a fellowship nomination, and one from a school in the top half of my list, with no word on funding. Still very exciting news. I am sure my sad thinvelopes from my top three schools are still on their way, but for now, I feel good. I'm in English, by the way.

In: Kansas, Southern Illinois

Out: Nowhere (yet)

Still Waiting: Minnesota, WashU, Indiana, Purdue, Loyola Chicago, Georgia, UMass Amherst, Colorado, Iowa, Ohio, Nebraska

Same here for Southern Illinois! Plus waitlisted at Loyola...We got a few more in common: Indiana, Purdue and Ohio State, if that's what you mean by Ohio!

Good Luck!

Same here for Southern Illinois! Plus waitlisted at Loyola...We got a few more in common: Indiana, Purdue and Ohio State, if that's what you mean by Ohio!

Good Luck!

I haven't heard anything from Loyola yet...when/how did you get your waitlist notification?

My Ohio is Ohio University, where I got my MA. OSU is a great school, though.

Good luck to you, as well!

I haven't heard anything from Loyola yet...when/how did you get your waitlist notification?

My Ohio is Ohio University, where I got my MA. OSU is a great school, though.

Good luck to you, as well!

I got a letter from Loyola. It's dated Jan 24th, but was mailed out on the first of February!

AHHHHH I'M IN!!!!!!!

Oh man.. I've got four more interview weekends and am still keeping my fingers crossed for my top choice, but I'M IN! Unofficial admissions offer to the MBGB program at UC Irvine, official letter should be in the mail next week. I'm sorta ambivalent about the umbrella program itself, but it's only for the first year, there's plenty of research going on that I'm really interested in, and I am absolutely in love with SoCal so I'd be happy to go if I don't get an offer from my number one.

YESSSS. RELIEF!

My winning streak is extending! :D So far:

UCSB Mechanical Engineering PhD: accepted, full funding

UWashington Seattle Aero/Astro PhD: recommended for admission by department, still waiting for decision from Grad Admissions

UIUC Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering PhD: accepted, assistantship + tuition waiver

Still waiting for: CMU Robotics, Cornell Mech/Aero, UPenn ESE, Georgia Tech ECE

You want me to make you guys jealous? Here goes.

I got accepted to one of the top 10 PhD marketing programs in North America. $30,000 a year in stipends, plus tuition and fees. Moreover, they're nominating me for a University Recruiting Award worth $8,000 a year for four years. So, $38,000 x 4 years = rich.

Jealous?

(Hey, the OP asked for it!)

I'm jealous. Especially because I haven't yet encountered a history program with that kind of funding available.

Congrats!

Well, like I said, it's marketing, not history. I assume that business PhD programs usually have better financial aid. I'm not sure what the average for history PhDs are. You're the experts...

Good luck to you all!

i am back at school and just received the official admission letter from TAMU(master of urban planning). it says the letter on financial decision will be received in the end of spring(....Orz)

i am also admitted to Ohio State(master of urban planning) last December(very early...my first). but i was not in the first two rounds of funding offers so looking forward to the third round in march...

i am admitted to NUS(national univ of singapore, master of arts(architecture)) with full funding recently.

however most still keep silent.