The Official "Make Everyone Else Jealous" Thread

Minnesotan

I was accepted everywhere. They all want my babies. (In the fun "Here's money!" way, not the evil "Give me your first-born child." kind of way.)

My only complaint is that MIT offers the lowest stipend (for the highest cost of living).

The bad news: I got kicked to the curb by Georgetown's SSP. But as the hubby says, it's their loss.

The great news: I was accepted by GWU's Elliott School for the Security Policy Studies program - hooray!

Well, I received an offer letter for a TAship in legalise from UC-Boulder. No mention of whether or not I was actually accepted to the program, but I assume this is implied.

Thank god... I had just started my second round of emergency last minute applications to tier-17 schools.

:D:D:D

Well, I received an offer letter for a TAship in legalise from UC-Boulder. No mention of whether or not I was actually accepted to the program, but I assume this is implied.

Thank god... I had just started my second round of emergency last minute applications to tier-17 schools.

I haven't heard back from this program yet. How and when did you hear back? Did they mention the size of the TA-ship?

I am not particularly optimistic about getting in the applied math program in Boulder (even though I visited them), but I have been fortunate enough to get into comparably good schools.

I got the e-mail from the department secretary late last night. Actually it is timestamped for 11pm Boulder time, I don't know if this means it is automated or they were just working late. It is for $14,466 over 9 months. This seems kind of low since I have a masters already, but I'm not complaining...

Where did you get in? where are you planning on going?

Under $15,000 in expensive Boulder is very discouraging. I got offered much more money at an equally good school that has a much lower cost of living. I'm keeping the schools I got in under wraps until I decide where I am going. I will likely turn down Colorado if I am offered that salary, but I haven't decided yet.

I visited Boulder and I loved the campus. I even sat in on two classes (Dr. Martinsson's Modern Applied Analysis and Dr. Meiss' Dynamical Systems). The students were highly approachable and the chair (Dr. Curry) was helpful. Also the gas prices are the lowest in the country - which is good. The biggest problem I have with the school is the cost of living, but if you can handle it then I highly recommend them.

I noticed that you're still waiting on Texas. I am also still waiting on the University of Texas' Applied Math Program. I am trying to figure out why it takes them this long to admit students, it isn't that hard to send an email to me saying that I got accepted (or rejected, if they dare try).

Yeah, I really liked Boulder as well. I went during winter break so nobody was really around, but Dr. Curry came in to meet with me and he was really easy to talk with. He even gave me his copy of the Applied Analysis textbook because he thought I should read it. It defenitely seems like a good atmosphere for grad school.

I think I will go to Texas if offered because I know the funding will be better and I already have a good shot at a research assistantship, but of course I will have to hear back first... I e-mailed the grad chair yesterday and he hasn't responded. I don't really think that is a good sign.