The Positivity Thread

PokePsych

I just feel good. I have a couple of projects in mind that I want to do in grad school and I do believe they´re good ideas although not fully developed yet. I feel more confident now. I have a house, finally booked my flight, got a general idea what I want to do, think I'll get along very well with my cohort, and I'm 'ready'. Really looking forward to it :3

In the meantime, the fabulous and fun contact I have with my former advisor continuous - it's definitely shaping into a friendship which I'm very happy with. 

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, lemma said:

I got a high distinction in the midterm I thought I had failed. Yay!

same things happens to me too! We're way too hard on ourselves, we need to be more confident about your abilities :) congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a beautiful black and white dress. Plus I just looked at the program of that conference I am going to in France at the end of August, and it looks incredibly interesting. I am going to learn a LOT to inform my Ph.D. and Master's thesis plus will do a lot of networking. I even have official business cards for the event!

After going through the emotional rollercoaster of my advisor leaving my new uni and perfect program last minute and having the do the first year with him through Skype, I sorta feel better today. First I felt shocked (like wtf), then I felt angry (like why me), then I felt sad (don't wanna leave that place). Now I realize having options can also be a good thing haha. And the new school isn't that bad either. Research topic wise and career wise it could be better. Just loved the set up of the other program and the culture there. Meh. Still, gonna rock this year and decide somewhere along the wya. 

17 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

After going through the emotional rollercoaster of my advisor leaving my new uni and perfect program last minute and having the do the first year with him through Skype, I sorta feel better today. First I felt shocked (like wtf), then I felt angry (like why me), then I felt sad (don't wanna leave that place). Now I realize having options can also be a good thing haha. And the new school isn't that bad either. Research topic wise and career wise it could be better. Just loved the set up of the other program and the culture there. Meh. Still, gonna rock this year and decide somewhere along the wya. 

Options are great! It's good you're keeping an open mind. I will say, I'm in a PhD program where I had to nominate a specific project to gain admission.... however, my research interests have taken a 180 and now I'm doing completely different work, which I prefer. Sometimes these things surprise you!

I distinctly remember telling an alum of my program that "whatever I do, it will not be in field XXXX." All of my work is now in field XXXX, which I genuinely never anticipated. 

Edited by lemma

12 hours ago, lemma said:

Options are great! It's good you're keeping an open mind. I will say, I'm in a PhD program where I had to nominate a specific project to gain admission.... however, my research interests have taken a 180 and now I'm doing completely different work, which I prefer. Sometimes these things surprise you!

I distinctly remember telling an alum of my program that "whatever I do, it will not be in field XXXX." All of my work is now in field XXXX, which I genuinely never anticipated. 

Well, have already 3 years of grad school under my belt, so know pretty much what I want. Realized I'm gonna be in grad school for 9 years lolz. And my family is already telling me to 'get a real job'. Will spend my twenties and early 30s in grad school :')

On 6/26/2018 at 11:22 AM, Psygeek said:

Well, have already 3 years of grad school under my belt, so know pretty much what I want. Realized I'm gonna be in grad school for 9 years lolz. And my family is already telling me to 'get a real job'. Will spend my twenties and early 30s in grad school :')

Oh my, I feel you. My father (who doesn't have a university degree) kinda indirectly tells me 'why are you still in school? don't you want to work?' He accepts what I am doing now because he has no choice (lol) but I definitely felt that judgement at first. I'm turning 26 this year and will be starting a Ph.D at 27. I don't know when I'll have kids and a husband lol

14 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I got an interview to work as a RA in a lab that's directly tied to my master's research topic for 2018-2019. I'll be quite busy next year, but fully involved and committed to my research topic. 

The interview is in one hour. Wish me luck! 

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

The interview is in one hour. Wish me luck! 

Got the job! The principal investigator recognized me from a research congress, and said I did a good job. The interview was not even 10 minutes! And I am really excited because it's directly tied to my PhD and Master's research topic!

Edited by Adelaide9216

On 6/28/2018 at 8:07 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

Oh my, I feel you. My father (who doesn't have a university degree) kinda indirectly tells me 'why are you still in school? don't you want to work?' He accepts what I am doing now because he has no choice (lol) but I definitely felt that judgement at first. I'm turning 26 this year and will be starting a Ph.D at 27. I don't know when I'll have kids and a husband lol

I'm engaged haha. I have the husband part figured out. Wouldn't want another person, we've been together for 5 years. He's my first serious relationship, fell in love the moment I saw him and have only liked him more over the years. Only downside of our relationship is that he's Korean (no I don't like K-pop lol), I'm Dutch, and now heading to the States doesn't make things easier. Marriage seems to b the easiest way to make things work. Neither of us really 'believe' in marriage as an institution haha. 

My own family is far from supportive, which is how it has always been. Even got discouraged to go to university etc. But OK. My advisor/mentor from my former Master's is my biggest cheerleader, my boyfriend cheers on me, his family does, MOST of my friends do (except a few envious ones). It's good to have a support network. 

The more long distance is looming for us, the more close me and my boyfriend get. Srsly like this guy so much. Hate the stupid different nationalities, visa issue, complexity stuff. 

At 23 you think you've seen all mammals on Earth on TV and zoos and yet I have just found out about this animal called a civet. It looks like a weasel or raccoon with a long body and leopard spots. I'm so happy...apparently there's much to be found out about the world yet for me.